SSJCPL (Stockton-San Joaquin County Public Library) discussion

Reading Discussions > Before We Were Yours

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brianna (new)

Brianna Anderson | 142 comments Mod
It looks like Before We Were Yours will be our next pick! We'll start reading this one next week Monday! Happy reading!

message 2: by Brianna (new)

I didn't know this beforehand but am quite enjoying the forward and back in time again like with The Broken Girls. It's a great technique to keep the plot moving forward and to get multiple perspectives on the same issues. However, it's always hard to leave someone's perspective when you are thoroughly enjoying their story. What are your thoughts on novels that jump back and forth in time?

message 3: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Garcia | 10 comments I really like the format of the book. I have finished it already and I must say that this book has impacted me in a big way. It has been about a week sense I finished this book and I still can’t stop thinking about it. I loved all the characters in this book especially the the Foss children.

message 4: by Brianna (new)

The Foss children are so enigmatic! I'm not quite finished with the novel but can't wait to find out where each child ends up. I quite like Avery as well. The love between the family, especially the Foss children, is palpable and only adds to the story. It's crazy to think that the book is based on a real story and one that I've never heard of at that!

message 5: by Brandi (new)

Brandi Morrill | 2 comments I like the forward and back in time format. It keeps me reading because I want to get back to the other person's perspective. I've finished the book and it took me a while to really start enjoying it. I was finally pulled into the story about half way through. I enjoyed it overall.

message 6: by Brianna (new)

I'm so glad to hear that everyone is enjoying the book so far! I don't want to give anything away, but I will say that I feel the ending findings in the story felt a bit rushed. We went so far with the characters for things to be wrapped up so quickly. I definitely would have read more as I was so fascinated and horrified by the Foss children's story. Anyone else feel this way?

message 7: by Jodi (new)

Jodi Crawford | 20 comments This book is haunting me, I could not sleep last night after I finished it. What the parents and children went through is unfathomable to me. As a parent I can not imagine not knowing where or what happened to my child. Its heartbreaking and devastating especially since its based on actual events, which I had not heard of before but definitely want to read more about. The Foss children were resilient, genuine and the true picture of bonded siblings, especially Rill (May) who was so incredibly strong. I agree the ending was a little rushed. I have many questions and definitely need more info!!! :)
I would love to read a story about each child's life individually, especially May who seemed to have quite the adventurous life.

message 8: by Brianna (new)

Very nicely put! I would love to read more about the Foss children and the Tennessee Children's Home Society. I did like that the author included a bunch of references at the end of the novel for further information. Yet, I still want to know what happened to the remaining Foss siblings?

message 9: by Brianna (new)

Perhaps they might. It seems like this novel will be a standalone but it would be nice to tie up some of the loose ends with the other Foss children. I was talking to someone about this book the other day and it was hard to realize that these children are only fictional. The author did an amazing job of creating a connection between character and reader.