Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > Spinning Silver-3 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8417 comments Spinning Silver 3 stars

....so disappointing

I really have been enjoying reading Novik's series of Temeraire and I loved Uprooted this one just did not live up to my expectations of her writing and story-telling.

This is supposedly a re-telling of Rumpelstiltskin-not really. The only tie between the two was that our protagonist Miryem can change silver to gold. Miryems' father is a moneylender-and he is not very good at it. While his family lives in poverty, those he lent money to prosper. Miryem decides she has had enough and takes over her father's business.

The Straryk-cold, dispassionate creatures value gold and riches above all else. (here Novik shows her wonderful imagination and you feel the influence of the Brothers Grimm). Their King stalks Miryem and whisks her away to change all his silver to gold.

This could have been a great story but then numerous POV's come into plat and early on in the story I got confused and it was frustrating trying to figure out who was talking.

I will shelf this as just mediocre, and hope she bounces back with her next book

message 2: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2666 comments Dang - I was hoping it would be better. My son was reading it and wasn’t enthusing wildly (unlike with Uprooted). I’ll still read it, but will lower my expectations

message 3: by Amy N. (new)

Amy N. | 256 comments Nooooooo... I was really looking forward to this one. I will also temper my expectations. Is it set in the same world as Uprooted?

message 4: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8417 comments Amy N. wrote: "Nooooooo... I was really looking forward to this one. I will also temper my expectations. Is it set in the same world as Uprooted?"

No-has no ties to Uprooted at all-totally new land and characters-still having the Polish/Slavic feel though