Fans of Eloisa James & Julia Quinn discussion

Monday Puzzler > Monday Puzzler August 27, 2018 -Interesting Daddy/Daughter Chat

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Irisheyes (new)

Irisheyes | 896 comments Perhaps my poker face needs work. But what to say? Of all the things on my mind, most of them have to do with him. Except for one.

“Spit it out already,” he prompts.

“Well… There’s a boyfriend.” Or there was, anyway.

“And he’s a problem? Wait, is it that guy from Florida?”

“No.” I shake my head. “You haven’t met him. He’s great, and he likes me a lot.”

My dad waits.

“And I like him a lot too.” We turn left to angle toward the pond.

“I’m still waiting for the ‘but,’” my father says. “So far this is a happy tune. Nobody is singing the blues.”

“Right.” And that’s as far as I get. I’m too chicken to go on.

“So, is this conversation about sex?”

I feel my cheeks get hot. “It might be.”

“Well, hallelujah! My area of expertise.”

I laugh for the first time all week.

“Seriously, I’m on very solid ground here. Also, I don’t embarrass.”

“Okayyy…” We continue walking. “Well, it’s just not something I do. It’s a deal I had with my mom.”

“And when was this deal struck?”

“At birth.” My whole life, she’d made it clear that she blamed herself for her own setbacks. If I’d had you at thirty instead of twenty, I’d probably be a doctor right now. But you’re smarter than I am, she’d always add. Translation: Don’t even think about it.

“I see.” He’s silent for a moment. “Do you think she expected you to carry it to your grave?”

“No.” I snort. “But she wanted me to graduate from college more than anything.”

“I’m sure that’s true. But I’m also sure that you will.” We reach the pond and turn onto the grass. “Daughter, it’s great that you take this seriously, and God knows you don’t want to get pregnant. But telling yourself that sex just isn’t part of your life is a doomed strategy. It’s part of being human; you can’t just turn off the urge. When you try to steamroll nature, that’s when the stupid shit happens.”

I grimace. “I guess you do know a thing or two about this.”

“Yes ma’am, I do. The trick is to know your heart ahead of time. Don’t let a guy do your thinking for you. He will go until you say stop.”

That sounds depressingly familiar.

“Now, abstaining, that’s very effective birth control. But you have to be upfront about it. Tell him when he can hear you, which is when you both still have clothes on. If he’s a good guy, he’ll understand. He might not even mind. There’s a lot of fun two people can have in a bed without doing the deed.”

I’m glad I don’t have to look him in the eye. He wasn’t kidding about not getting embarrassed. “Because…” I clear my throat. “Every method of birth control still leaves a risk.”

“Sure, but it’s risky just crossing the street, right? And a smart girl like you—if she wants to—can figure out how to protect herself. If I were you…” He thinks for a second. “At this fancy school, I’m sure they give out the Pill like candy. If that’s where things are going with this boy, make an appointment and go get them. But then you keep that information to yourself. Make him wear one every time. And he won’t mind, because he’ll think it’s the only thing standing between him and the world’s most awkward conversation.”

“Isn’t that dishonest?”

He shakes his head. “That way if you forget one, you don’t have to worry.”

My head spins. “Okay—winner! This is our weirdest conversation ever.” Although my birth must have turned him into a birth-control connoisseur.

He stops. “Daughter, it isn’t even close to our weirdest conversation. It wouldn’t even make the top ten.” He leans down to palm a stone. “The winner is the one about why I couldn’t even send you a birthday card for seventeen years.”

But we never actually have that conversation.

Aloud I say, “I thought you didn’t embarrass?”

He tosses the stone into the pond. “There’s a difference between simple embarrassment and deep shame.”

message 2: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2102 comments Mod
I love this book. It’s not a romance per se although the boyfriend is terrific.

message 3: by Manda (new)

Manda Collins (manda_collins) | 1925 comments Mod
I have a guess...

message 4: by Leigh-Ayn (new)

Leigh-Ayn | 1207 comments No idea! Is it NA?

message 5: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (staceyissassy) | 1281 comments Love this one!!

message 6: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nikanne) | 222 comments Definitely have not read this one, but now I want to!

message 7: by Irisheyes (new)

Irisheyes | 896 comments Sorry I'm late, RL getting in the way again! LOL

The answer is The Accidentals by Sarina Bowen. I think it's YA, Leigh-Ayn. I really loved this story, though. I loved that there were no villains or crazy bad people, just ordinary people making mistakes and having to deal with the fallout. I did also really like Rachel and Jake's love story.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Accidentals (other topics)