Reading 1001 discussion

Archives > September Perspective

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
September is Hispanic Heritage month in the US. Technically it runs from September 15-OCt 15 but we will be honoring it this month.

The book selections are.

The House of the Spirits
Love in the Time of Cholera
The Underdogs

Now it's up to you. Nominate your book by Wednesday noon.

message 2: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 559 comments In Search Of Klingsor by Volpi

message 4: by Gail (last edited Aug 27, 2018 11:00AM) (new)

Gail (gailifer) | 1534 comments I second Ficciones as I was about to read it for #readaroundtheworld on Litsy. Also I just finished Dom Casmurro and would recommend it highly.

message 5: by Diane (last edited Sep 01, 2018 10:23AM) (new)

Diane  | 2051 comments The Death of Artemio Cruz by Carlos Fuentes.

Unfortunately, that one is in my TBR challenge list and I have read the other three. I will change it to Money to Burn by Ricardo Piglia, if its not too late.

message 6: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Like Water For Chocolate by Laura Esquivel

message 7: by Pip (new)

Pip | 1478 comments Which alternative nomination has been chosen? I have read all three of those proposed.

message 8: by Dree (new)

Dree | 243 comments I am going to try for Love in the Time of Cholera. I own in so this is another book I can clear this month (3 from this group if I succeed!).

I have read the Underdogs already.

message 9: by Kristel (last edited Sep 02, 2018 03:42PM) (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 4256 comments Mod
The winner of the random selection from books chosen by you is Dom Casmurro.

So, September books are
Dom Casmurro or Money to Burn
The House of the Spirits
Love in the Time of Cholera
The Underdogs

Dom Casmurro is really Latino and not Hispanic so I’ve redone the randomizer and Money to Burn came up.

message 10: by Diane (new)

Diane  | 2051 comments I will have to use a substitution pass this month since I've read all four, although I'm considering re-reading Love in the Time of Cholera.

message 11: by Pip (new)

Pip | 1478 comments Does Dom Casmurro qualify as Hispanic? My understanding is that Hispanic means Spanish speaking, so this would be a Latino novel, as the author is Brazilian.

message 12: by Kristel (new)

Pip, was the original language Portuguese? I will check with Jen and get back.

message 13: by Kristel (new)

I checked with wiki and it states that Hispanic and Latino are used interchangeable and Spanish and Portuguese both fit for Hispanic culture so I would say, yes it is a go. But will see if Jen thinks otherwise.

message 14: by Gail (new)

Gail (gailifer) | 1534 comments So sorry, I should have mentioned that the original was in Portuguese. I think of Hispanic as coming from Central or South America rather than as associated with speaking Spanish although clearly Spanish is the origin of the word.

message 15: by Kristel (new)

I will be overseeing this challenge while Jen is tied up with other obligations so bare with me.

message 16: by Pip (new)

Pip | 1478 comments The original was Portuguese, but I am keen to read it, it's available and I have read the other choices. Love the questions, Kristel.

message 17: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
I'm inclined to say that Hispanic shouldn't apply to Brazil. In fact Brazilians are pretty adamant that they are not Hispanic but Latino.

As someone who is both Latina and Hispanic, I see them as different terms meaning slightly different things. But my Brazilian friends would not be happy being called hispanic. I'm thinking we should maybe add a second randomizer pick (from our selection) in case anyone has already started reading it.

message 18: by Kristel (new)

Jen wrote: "I'm inclined to say that Hispanic shouldn't apply to Brazil. In fact Brazilians are pretty adamant that they are not Hispanic but Latino.

As someone who is both Latina and Hispanic, I see them as ..."
I did that, if you look up a ways you will see that I added a book. I didn’t remove Dom Casmurro in case someone had already started.

message 19: by Kristel (new)

See #9 for the the book that was added/

message 20: by Diane (new)

Diane  | 2051 comments Kristel wrote: "See #9 for the the book that was added/"

Yay! I haven't read that one!

message 21: by Pip (new)

Pip | 1478 comments Money to Burn?

message 22: by Kristel (new)

Pip wrote: "Money to Burn?"
Yes, but its okay if you read Dom Casmurro. It wasn’t brought up soon enough so I felt it would not be the best to change it. But Money to Burn is the alternative.

message 23: by Kristel (new)

Diane wrote: "Kristel wrote: "See #9 for the the book that was added/"

Yay! I haven't read that one!"
I am happy it worked out for you.

message 24: by Pip (new)

Pip | 1478 comments I can't find a copy of Money to Burn in New Zealand on interloan, and it is too late to order a copy on Amazon, so I will have to read Dom Casmurro after all!

message 25: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 282 comments I’ve read Love in a Time of Cholera, I’ve borrowed The Underdogs, I’ve put House of Spirits on hold and purchased the Kindle of Dom Casmurro for 99 cents.

Now, we shall see if I get to any of them in the correct month!