SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Tigana
This topic is about Tigana
Group Reads Discussions 2009 > "Tigana" - Full Discussion *Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-50 of 221 (221 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 4 stars

Allison Hurd | 13043 comments Mod
In light of the upcoming buddy read, and the outrageous number of specific threads generated for this book in the bad ol' days, please use this for discussion of the full book.

Gabi | 3405 comments OMG! :D this is a monumental list, indeed! Thank you for setting this up, Allison. Of course I, unknowingly, would have opened the next thread ...

message 3: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 4 stars

I didn't mean to steal your thunder but I figured this was maybe the easiest way to avoid adding confusion :) It's still your thread, use whatever rules you want!

Gabi | 3405 comments That's perfectly fine:) .
We start on September 7th here. Rules as always apply: please state your position in the book (chapter/page/percent) so everybody can join in the appropriate discussions and please hide any spoilers behind spoiler tags.
I'm looking forward to the discussion.

Travis Foster (travismfoster) | 1154 comments I'm looking forward to finally reading this! ... It's been sitting on my bedside table for a ridiculous six months. I can't remember who (someone on here I think?), but it was very highly recommended to me back when I couldn't stop gushing about The Goblin Emperor.

message 6: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 4 stars

Goblin Emperor, you say? Now I really do have to find time for it.

*Sullenly reviews commitments*

message 7: by Julianna (new)

Julianna Zdunich | 19 comments I love The Goblin Emperor - I hope there will be more! (and what a fantastic cover)

message 8: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (last edited Aug 28, 2018 11:18AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Julianna wrote: "I love The Goblin Emperor - I hope there will be more! (and what a fantastic cover)"

Kinda off topic, but the second one was just announced!! In the meantime, maybe this BR will give me a few warm fuzzies.

message 9: by Julianna (new)

Julianna Zdunich | 19 comments Allison wrote: "Julianna wrote: "I love The Goblin Emperor - I hope there will be more! (and what a fantastic cover)"

Kinda off topic, but the second one was just announced!! In the meantime, maybe this BR will g..."

woot! the comment from Travis about someone recommending Tigana because of it will get me to take a look at a book I probably would have passed over. also *sullenly reviewing commitments* :))

message 10: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 4 stars

haha! Welcome to the struggle ^^

message 11: by Julianna (new)

Julianna Zdunich | 19 comments Allison wrote: "haha! Welcome to the struggle ^^"

decades of it hasn't made it any easier!

message 12: by Gabi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gabi | 3405 comments With so many books starting tomorrow, I want to ask, If folks are into reading Tigana on the set date - or should I postpone this BR?

Travis Foster (travismfoster) | 1154 comments Gabi wrote: "With so many books starting tomorrow, I want to ask, If folks are into reading Tigana on the set date - or should I postpone this BR?"

I started the audio yesterday and (after three loads of laundry, long walks between errand locations, and cooking dinner) am on Chapter 4. It's as magnificent as people have been saying. All to say: I'm still in!

message 14: by Gabi (last edited Aug 31, 2018 02:27AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gabi | 3405 comments Travis wrote: "Gabi wrote: "With so many books starting tomorrow, I want to ask, If folks are into reading Tigana on the set date - or should I postpone this BR?"

I started the audio yesterday and (after three l..."

I'm happy to hear that. I'm so looking forward to reading Tigana - after your first impression even more so - (just have to finish the group reads) - then we'll keep the 7th.

Travis Foster (travismfoster) | 1154 comments I'm "reading" reading Calculating Stars while "reading" listening to Tigana, and they're both full-on page turners, so all these different pleasures of suspense are making for a very good end-of-summer as far as books go.

Udayan | 62 comments Cannot recommend Tigana enough. Hope I was reading it for the first time like you guys.

Oh, to be swept away by GGK all over again !!

message 17: by Gabi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gabi | 3405 comments Travis wrote: "I'm "reading" reading Calculating Stars while "reading" listening to Tigana, and they're both full-on page turners, so all these different pleasures of suspense are making for a very good end-of-su..."

That's what I'm doing with the two club reads at the moment (first time I try audiobook). Tigana will be my reading reading, when "Calculating Stars" is through.

Udayan wrote: "Cannot recommend Tigana enough. Hope I was reading it for the first time like you guys.

Oh, to be swept away by GGK all over again !!"

If I'm not mistaken, it was an enthusiastic comment from you that put the book on my TBR in the first place!

Anthony (albinokid) | 1471 comments I’m still in! I have a whole month to read the two main selections and Midnight Robber, before and after reading Tigana. So looking forward to it.

Lost Planet Airman | 739 comments Just found out about this. Joining in!
(I've done about 5% on audio but can let it move slowly until the 7th... ...we start on the 7th, right?)

Anthony (albinokid) | 1471 comments Yes we start on the 7th. Welcome!

MadProfessah (madprofesssah) | 742 comments Yes Tigana is awesome. Every Guy Gavriel Kay book I have read I have liked.

message 22: by Gabi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gabi | 3405 comments Mike wrote: "Just found out about this. Joining in!
(I've done about 5% on audio but can let it move slowly until the 7th... ...we start on the 7th, right?)"

Travis already started as well, so please feel free to dive into the discussion early.

I'll start reading today. I've seen that the book is over 600 pages, so this will take me some time.

message 23: by Travis (last edited Sep 07, 2018 07:32AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Travis Foster (travismfoster) | 1154 comments I'm at the midway point and--albeit with a few questions about what the novel is doing with sex--I'm really enjoying it. The writing is, for me, lush but not distractingly so, and I'm finding the occasionally non-chronological structure to work really nicely in the service of the story. And what an amazingly layered, vivid plot!

Plus, such lovely writing about music! I think it's been since the Kingkiller books that I've read a sci-fi or fantasy novel that talks so perfectly about the experience of listening to and creating music.

Comment about the end of Part One:

(view spoiler)

Question/comment for those who have finished Part Two:

(view spoiler)

Question for those who have finished Chapter 10:

(view spoiler)

Travis Foster (travismfoster) | 1154 comments ^^^ Sorry to jump the gun! (Though just a day ahead of schedule.)

:)

message 25: by Gabi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gabi | 3405 comments By any means, go for it, Travis!

I didn't finish part I yet, so I will read your spoilers later, but I fully agree with your sentiment about the part music plays in the story. I was so enthralled by the writing of those scenes, I literally could hear - and foremost - feel the music there. It was beautiful.

message 26: by Anna, Circadian heretic (last edited Sep 06, 2018 07:10AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anna (vegfic) | 9646 comments Mod
I read Tigana last year as part of a readalong. I made some comments back then, but couldn't participate in a discussion anymore, I've forgotten too much. But this is how I felt about chapter 10 when I read it:

(view spoiler)

Travis Foster (travismfoster) | 1154 comments Anna wrote: "I read Tigana last year as part of a readalong. I made some comments back then, but couldn't participate in a discussion anymore, I've forgotten too much. But this is how I felt about chapter 10 wh..."

(view spoiler)

Anthony (albinokid) | 1471 comments All right, I’m starting this today, and already, from the acknowledgments and epigraph alone I can tell that I am in the hands of a deeply intelligent and soulful writer. I’m not sure how often it’s the case that such things can come through so strongly before reading a word of the text of a novel, but I’m sure it’s pretty rare.

message 29: by Wen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wen | 401 comments Gabi wrote: "That's perfectly fine:) .
We start on September 7th here. Rules as always apply: please state your position in the book (chapter/page/percent) so everybody can join in the appropriate discussions a..."

I'll start this one on Saturday, hopefully it's not too late:)

message 30: by Gabi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gabi | 3405 comments @Wen: of course it's not too late. I'm looking forward to your impressions.

message 31: by Anthony (last edited Sep 07, 2018 04:44AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anthony (albinokid) | 1471 comments I’m only in chapter 2 (I’ve had very little time to read, and the time I’ve had hasn’t allowed for much of the attention and care that Gavriel Kay’s precise, subtle prose requires) but as a professional performer myself, who’s been working since I was very young, I’m extremely pleased and happily surprised to see (view spoiler). I don’t read blurbs or summaries of books before I read the novels themselves, hence the surprise.

I’m very much enjoying this, and continue to feel that I’m in very very good hands in the form of Gavriel Kay.

message 32: by Gabi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gabi | 3405 comments I finished part I (23%)

(view spoiler)

Anthony (albinokid) | 1471 comments I’m slower than the rest of you, but just finished chapter 4. (view spoiler)

I’m also very much enjoying getting to know Devin. He’s already a very intriguing young man.

message 34: by Gabi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gabi | 3405 comments reg chapter 4: (view spoiler)

End of part II (37%)
(view spoiler)

message 35: by Gabi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gabi | 3405 comments Out of context: I would love to taste some of this blue wine. Somehow this fascinates me.

Chris | 1046 comments Anthony wrote: (view spoiler)

Rosina (rosinarowantree) | 56 comments Chris wrote: "Anthony wrote:(view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

Travis Foster (travismfoster) | 1154 comments Gabi wrote: "Out of context: I would love to taste some of this blue wine. Somehow this fascinates me."

ME TOO. BLUE WINE, PLEASE!

Anthony (albinokid) | 1471 comments Just finished Part 1. (view spoiler)

Thanks to all of you who are joining in on this buddy read. As always, it’s a pleasure to share in these wonderful works with this vibrant community.

message 40: by AMG (new) - added it

AMG (thenecessarysalamander) | 306 comments I started it today too, but I seem to be slower at buddy reads than most people. I only got through chapter 1 today. I am probably trying to read too many books right now, but they all sound so interesting. :(

Anthony (albinokid) | 1471 comments @Amanda there’s no rush, I’m discovering that since notifications always appear, it’s never too late to post to an already-existing discussion thread. Enjoy the book. I think it’s something very special myself.

message 42: by Gabi (last edited Sep 08, 2018 11:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gabi | 3405 comments @Travis and Anna reg. chapter 10: I just finished it, and here is my impression:

(view spoiler)

@Anthony, reg. Part I

(view spoiler)

@Amanda: Welcome to the BR! I'm looking forward to your input. (and one day I must learn the secret to be able to read several books at the same time. I already get confused, if I read two books with a similiar topic shortly one after the other)

------

Wow! I loved chapter 11! So powerful!

Chris | 1046 comments Re. Catriana:

(view spoiler)

Travis Foster (travismfoster) | 1154 comments Welcome Amanda. One chapter from this book is no small feat. :)

Travis Foster (travismfoster) | 1154 comments Ch. 15

(view spoiler)

Travis Foster (travismfoster) | 1154 comments Anthony wrote: "Just finished Part 1."

(view spoiler)

Anthony (albinokid) | 1471 comments Wow, just finished part 2. (view spoiler)

What a book this is turning out to be.

Anthony (albinokid) | 1471 comments I’ve decided I’m going to start posting passages that blow me away with their graceful, intricate beauty, even regarding dark or violent or tragic moments.

In chapter 9:
(view spoiler)

Travis Foster (travismfoster) | 1154 comments Anthony wrote: "I’ve decided I’m going to start posting passages that blow me away with their graceful, intricate beauty, even regarding dark or violent or tragic moments.]"

There are so very many!

message 50: by Gabi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gabi | 3405 comments I'm looking forward to those quotes. This is a book where I wished I would have the paper version, to pin post-its to all the sentences that move me. Guy Gavriel Kay is so masterful with words. Not even once was I tempted to skim a page.

« previous 1 3 4 5