Readers & Writers discussion

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hope (new)

Hope Ikin | 2 comments Hello, I just wondered if anybody knows what the magic formula is that gets one author I've never heard of to 300,000 GoodReads ratings, while another sits forever on 300? I've asked a few successful authors but they've just fobbed me off with the usual gumppff about hard work, yet the writer with 300 ratings is doing the same promotions and giveaways etc etc. Surely it's just the luck of being picked up by a well-followed blogger?

message 2: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Clough (brendaclough) | 7 comments That number? From an author who is not George RR Martin or J.K. Rowling? Probably acquired via bots. You can buy reviews and ratings. That's why Amazon is starting to get tough on them. Cheating distorts the entire process.

message 3: by Hope (new)

Hope Ikin | 2 comments Thank you, Brenda. I kind of picked the 300, 000 ratings from nowhere. I wasn't suggesting foul play. I'm still non the wiser on how some authors find popularity while others remain anonymous.

message 4: by Paul (new)

Paul West (pauwwest) | 17 comments Have you considered the quality of the writing? Some people write beautifully and others don't. Also, the popularity of the writer?