One Word After Another Book Club discussion

General > Introductions!

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brian (last edited Aug 26, 2018 11:27PM) (new)

Brian Basham (brianbasham) | 96 comments This thread is for introductions. So tell us a little about yourself! Please use the questionaire below, and remember that all the questions are optional!

1.) What was the last book you read and was it good?
2.) What are you reading now?
3.) What is your favorite genre?
4.) What is your favorite novel?
5.) Who is your favorite author?
6.) Tell us about yourself. (Work, pets, favorite foods, etc..)
7.) Social Media links

message 2: by Brian (new)

Brian Basham (brianbasham) | 96 comments Hello Everyone!
I am the one who started this little Book Club in hopes of having some friends to read and discuss books with!

The last book I read was Molly's Game by Molly Bloom. It was interesting if you like poker, which I do! It wasn't written by a professional writer and that comes through sometimes, but I enjoyed it.

I am currently reading Origin by Dan Brown.

My favorite genre would be the Thriller genre. Thrillers have those twists and turns that I enjoy. They can kind of mix in with a variety of genres, but a lot of times people will list horror stories as thriller when I don't think they really fit.

My favorite novel is also by my favorite author and that would be Sphere by Michael Crichton.

I am an author and automation programmer. I enjoy playing poker and video games in my spare time (what is spare time again?) I generally read very slowly, but I hope to dedicate more time to it with this club.

My Website: http://www.Brian-Basham.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/authorbrianba...
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ninjatheory22
Instagram: http://instagram.com/ninjadueces22

message 3: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Schoch (lydiaschoch) | 26 comments Hello! I'm Lydia.

It's actually been a few months since I finished a book. So many were started and then never finished this summer thanks to the nice weather. I'm hoping this book club will nudge me back into my normal reading habits, especially as it gets colder outside and I spend less time being active outdoors at the park.

I'm currently reading Educated by Tara Westover. It's the autobiography of a woman who now has a PhD whose first day of school was at age seventeen. Such an amazing story.

My favourite genre is science fiction, particularly hard science fiction. I like reading about space ships, possible distant futures for Earth, and life on faraway planets.

My favourite novel is The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood.

Right now my favourite author is Octavia E. Butler. This answer changes regularly depending on what I've currently read.

As you might be able to tell from my spelling of the word favourite, I'm Canadian (and also American thanks to the delights of dual citizenship!) There are no pets in my household since my spouse and I are sadly both quite allergic to cats, dogs, etc. I'm a sci-fi author whose hobbies include lifting weights, doing Sudoku puzzles, and meditating. I'll eat anything that doesn't have milk in it (also allergic to that), but I especially like Mexican food. As someone who is bisexual, I'd love to see more representation of the LGBT+ community in the SFF genre. So you'll probably see me occasionally recommending books like that for our club when I find a good one.

My Website: http://lydiaschoch.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/TorontoLydia

message 4: by Tammy (new)

Tammy (Wyse) Schoch (tammyschoch) | 38 comments I’m Tammy.

I finished reading “Vox” a few days ago. Interesting but only 3 stars. Now I’m reading 3 books: Body of Truth by Harriet Brown, The Golden Age of science Fiction (anthology), and The Righteous Mind by Jonathan Haidt.

Sci fi is my favorite, but historical fiction and nonfiction related to data driven findings about health and science and psychology are high up there on my list too.

I really loved “Seveneves” by Neal Stephenson and am hoping for a sequel someday. I also read and loved the entire Foundation Series. And lots more too numerous to list.

I’m a psych nurse manager. Nursing degree and business degree led me to that niche. I love personality theory. The book “Personality Types: using the enneagram for self discovery” by Riso and Hudson is my favorite personality model and it also brought me through a tough year in my life and has informed my journey ever since. My favorite theorist in psychology is Carl Rogers, and his ideas around unconditional positive regard. That’s the thought that drives my life.

I’m agnostic but know all about religion. Have read the Bible in many versions, the Koran, the satanic bible, the book of Mormon, the old texts that aren’t considered canon, and lots of other religious texts. I was raised Mennonite. The more I read, the more I appreciated the scientific method and the less I believed in any one religion. By age 50 I realized I was as simply agnostic and didn’t really care to participate any more in organized religion.

No pets - too many allergies. 3 grown kids. 2 grandsons. 1 husband.

And I love maps. I can look at maps all day long.

I’m on Twitter. And instagram. @TammySchoch and Tammy.schoch. I left Facebook years ago.

I talk a lot. Apologies in advance. 😄

message 5: by Brian (new)

Brian Basham (brianbasham) | 96 comments Tammy wrote: "I’m Tammy.

I finished reading “Vox” a few days ago. Interesting but only 3 stars. Now I’m reading 3 books: Body of Truth by Harriet Brown, The Golden Age of science Fiction (anthology), and The R..."

Welcome Tammy! I have always been interested in psychiatry, especially multiple-personality disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, and narcissistic personality disorder. Are there any books you would recommend to read up on stuff like that? I have a lot of story ideas that would kind of fall under psychological horror, and it would be good research for many of those.

message 6: by Cory (new)

Cory (mscorabelle) | 2 comments My name is Cory and I'm addicted to reading. I like both fiction and non-fiction books. The only genre I really do not care for is what I dub hardcore romance. Please, they have videos for that sort of thing.

The last book I read was "Blood Communion" A Tale OF Prince Lestat by Anne Rice. I was lucky enough to win an uncorrected bound proof of the book which arrived on my birthday no doubt, how lucky am I? The book was a lot better than the last one but sadly Lestat is growing a bit stale. I did enjoy it overall.

If I had to choose a favorite genre I would have to say, young adult. I feel it has the freedom to go anywhere story-wise and can be read in a day.

If I had to choose an all-time favorite book it would be "lord of the flies." It was the first book that made me stop and really think; mindblown!

For the last year, I've been working on my first book which is scary to me. The select few I have let in on the story have gobbled it up. I have that whole George McFly doubt thing going on in my head which I need to drop.

The only social media that I let me be myself on is https://www.tumblr.com/blog/mscacooper
looking through my posts you will see that my interests are all over the place.

message 7: by Brian (new)

Brian Basham (brianbasham) | 96 comments Glad to see you were finally able to post Cory! Did you figure out your issues with the app?

message 8: by Tammy (new)

Tammy (Wyse) Schoch (tammyschoch) | 38 comments Book recommendation:
“Cracked: the unhappy truth about psychiatry” will clearly demonstrate that we are in the infancy of understanding how our brains work. Although I’ve worked in this area for 20 years, I recognize how little we know.

Summary:
I think of psychiatry as being divided into about 5 sections: thought disorders; mood disorders; personality disorders; addictions; degenerative brain diseases. First two groups do well with meds. Third group does best with therapy. Fourth group needs sobriety. Last group needs nursing care as things progress.

Then there’s neurology (example is seizure disorder) which we treat as separate but why? It’s a brain disease just as schizophrenia is a brain disease. There’s talk of pushing psychiatry and neurology back together into one discipline.

Complications:
all of the above can be: 1. Broad generalizations; 2. Mixed together in the same person; 3. Caused by multiple simultaneous things; 4. Respond to various treatments differently in different people.

There you go. My summary, from how my brain organizes brain disorders.

message 9: by Brian (new)

Brian Basham (brianbasham) | 96 comments I think it is crazy how little we know about the brain. You would think we would spend more money on research. I will have to check that book out. I would probably still get things wrong in my writing for dramatic/fictional reasons. Have you seen the movie Split?

message 10: by Tammy (new)

Tammy (Wyse) Schoch (tammyschoch) | 38 comments No. It looked scary and violent and not real. Split personalities are not really a diagnosis. Multiple personality is very rare and highly questioned by experts.

message 11: by Brian (new)

Brian Basham (brianbasham) | 96 comments I know. I just enjoyed it for what it was. I knew it wasn't going to be medically accurate. It was pretty creepy though.

message 12: by Tammy (new)

Tammy (Wyse) Schoch (tammyschoch) | 38 comments One genre I don’t like is horror. That movie looked a little too much like that for my taste.