On the Southern Literary Trail discussion

The Tilted World
This topic is about The Tilted World
Group Reads: Post-1990 > Initial Impressions: The Tilted World by Franklin/Fennelly: September 2018

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom Mathews | 2746 comments Mod
Comments on this board should be written with the assumption that not all readers have finished the book. Please avoid revealing any spoilers.

message 2: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new) - rated it 3 stars

Laura | 2276 comments Mod
I’ve began. Seems initially like a slower paced book than other Franklin books.

message 3: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 3 stars

Diane Barnes | 4398 comments Mod
I think having his wife as co-writer affected his style.

message 4: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new) - rated it 3 stars

This seems mild and sweet in comparison to other works. I still lack Smonk. This isn’t bad but not shocking, in your face style.

message 5: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 3 stars

Diane Barnes | 4398 comments Mod
I haven't read Smonk either.

message 6: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new) - rated it 3 stars

I’m enjoying this one now that I’ve gotten past comparing it to Franklin’s solo books. I think I also thought this was going to be all about the flood but so far that’s not the case.

Sara (phantomswife) | 1391 comments I just finished this tonight. I am still thinking it over. I will write my review and some thoughts in the final thread tomorrow.

Cathrine ☯️  | 749 comments From author's note:
-wall of water 100' high with twice the force of Niagara
-a million homes flattened
-27,000 sq miles under water
-the government did nothing to help the flood victims
😳
This seems like a very timely read with Florence approaching. Just started last night.

Sara (phantomswife) | 1391 comments We are holding our breath over Florence, but at least we have both better warnings and better responses now than then.

Cathrine ☯️  | 749 comments Sara, I'm a little concerned about government response if Trump thinks he did an excellent job in Puerto Rico.

Brina Read chapters 1-2. The fifty years between 1880-1930 was a time of such change and my favorite to read about. I haven't read Franklin before so I have nothing to compare it to. Hopefully the pace picks up.