On the Southern Literary Trail discussion

Strange Fruit
This topic is about Strange Fruit
Group Reads: Pre-1990 > Initial Impressions: Strange Fruit by Lillian E. Smith: September 2018

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tom Mathews | 2749 comments Mod
Comments on this board should be written with the assumption that not all readers have finished the book. Please avoid revealing any spoilers.

Candi (candih) | 208 comments I ordered a used copy of this book and it just arrived the other day, so I plan to join in here!

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) I am so looking forward to this read and discussion! I’m hoping to start it this weekend.

message 4: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laura | 2282 comments Mod
I’m sitting out on this one but I encourage you to find a copy of the book. When we read sometime back we were very pleased we had found it. It’s pretty heavy but good reading.

message 5: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (new) - rated it 3 stars

I managed to find a copy on AbeBooks for under $7. I'm not sure if I'm going to read it this time around but I very much want to read it sometime.

message 6: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 5 stars

Diane Barnes | 4420 comments Mod
I read it with the group before, (I think it was Laura's MOD choice), so won't re-read, but it made a lasting impression on me, and I will certainly join in the discussion.

message 7: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new) - rated it 4 stars

You are right Diane.

message 8: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new) - rated it 4 stars

Diane it made your fav list for 2016 and oddly enough I found it through Silas House’s FB page.

Camie | 105 comments Okay I think I've had this since the group read before and could never get very far into it ( can't recall exactly why) So here's my chance to try again.

message 10: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 5 stars

Diane Barnes | 4420 comments Mod
It's not an "easy" book, Camie, because it makes you squirm when you relate it to your own thinking and experiences, and those of people you know. But it's a mind changer.

message 11: by Judi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Judi | 465 comments I cracked this book a few days ago and I am captivated. A step back in time. I am reading a fragile first edition of Strange Fruit that I checked out from my local library.

message 12: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) Judi wrote: "I cracked this book a few days ago and I am captivated. A step back in time. I am reading a fragile first edition of Strange Fruit that I checked out from my local library."

I started it last night and immediately found that it requires my complete attention. Also I need to be more rested than I was, or I can easily become confused about who is speaking and about whom. My copy no doubt is part of the challenge. Small font and narrow margins.

message 13: by Kristen (new) - added it

Kristen | 8 comments Carol wrote: "Judi wrote: "I cracked this book a few days ago and I am captivated. A step back in time. I am reading a fragile first edition of Strange Fruit that I checked out from my local library."

I started..."

I feel the same way, Carol. A number of fits and starts to get going, but now that I’m in a little ways (a whole page 23) I feel the storyline starting to pull me along. I’m eager to step up my pace.

message 14: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) Kristen wrote: "Carol wrote: "Judi wrote: "I cracked this book a few days ago and I am captivated. A step back in time. I am reading a fragile first edition of Strange Fruit that I checked out from my local librar..."

So if I can get from 11 to 23, maybe the tired brain I often bring to my reading may suffice? :)

message 15: by Judi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Judi | 465 comments I am sure your tired brain will be engaged! I am looking forward to cracking it open this evening at bedtime and savoring more.

message 16: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (new) - rated it 3 stars

My copy arrived yesterday. I'm looking forward to star it in the next day or so.

message 17: by John (new) - rated it 3 stars

John | 539 comments I don't know if i'm late to the party but here is Billie Holiday and Strange Fruit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Web00...

message 18: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) John wrote: "I don't know if i'm late to the party but here is Billie Holiday and Strange Fruit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Web00..."

The party doesn’t start until Billie arrives.

message 19: by John (new) - rated it 3 stars

John | 539 comments This came up next on utube. just for yu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71Gt4....

message 20: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (new) - rated it 3 stars

I found a couple interesting articles about Strange Fruit and Lillian E. Smith. The second article is actually about the stage play based on the book.
The Strange Life of Strange Fruit
he Strange Journey of Bringing Lillian Smith’s ‘Strange Fruit’ Back to Life

message 21: by Judi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Judi | 465 comments John wrote: "I don't know if i'm late to the party but here is Billie Holiday and Strange Fruit

I wish Strange Fruit could be made into a film. What a visceral impact it would have in today's world!

message 22: by Judi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Judi | 465 comments Carol wrote: "John wrote: "I don't know if i'm late to the party but here is Billie Holiday and Strange Fruit

The party doesn’t start until Billie arrives."

Love it!

message 23: by Judi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Judi | 465 comments This book gives graphic voice to the extent of racism in the 1940's South. A chapter in history that I was only vaguely aware of.

message 24: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (new) - rated it 3 stars

The book started out a bit slowly but I am rapidly getting engrossed in it. There is that impression of a rapidly approaching train wreck, though.

message 25: by Judi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Judi | 465 comments Tom wrote: "The book started out a bit slowly but I am rapidly getting engrossed in it. There is that impression of a rapidly approaching train wreck, though."
I see it comin' down the track. I am loving this book.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Strange Fruit (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Lillian E. Smith (other topics)