J.D. Robb discussion

Ritual in Death (In Death, #27.5)
This topic is about Ritual in Death
In Death Buddy Reads 2016 - 2021 > Ritual In Death Buddy Read - Sept. 2018

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 10537 comments Mod
Our In Death series buddy read continues in September with a novella - Ritual in Death, book #27.5. Open discussion begins on the 8th. Feel free to join us!

Synopsis:
Dragged to a glamorous, high-society ball with billionaire husband Roarke, homicide Lieutenant Eve Dallas is almost relieved when a naked, knife-wielding, blood-drenched man crashes in - a man who thinks he has killed someone.

Tracing bloody footprints, Eve finds a hotel room filled with signs of a ritual murder, but the man remembers nothing. Determined to help, Roarke consults an ex-lover who practices witchcraft. But Eve knows there is nothing supernatural about a deadly lust for power . . .

Timeline: May, 2060

Main Characters:
Eve Dallas
Roarke
Mavis Freestone
Ian McNab
Charlotte Mira
Delia Peabody
Lawrence Summerset
Leonardo
Morris
Minor & Peripheral Characters:
(view spoiler)

Ready for another one that touches on the supernatural?! We'll open discussion on the 8th!

message 3: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 736 comments I found this in paperback (and other media) in library under J.D. Robb (and others), entitled Suite 606. Looks to have four authors' novellas. I'm ordering it from local library!

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 13761 comments Mod
Yes, this was originally released as part of an anthology, Suite 606. All of the novellas are released this way as well as in digital format (audio and eBook). See the book list for more details.

Thanks, Jonetta. I meant to include that info with the first post and it slipped my mind.

Starting my reread! Open discussion begins on the 8th! :)

message 7: by Lauren (last edited Sep 02, 2018 10:53PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 994 comments I finished yesterday. It was a really quick and entertaining read. (view spoiler)

Michelle | 2404 comments I should be able to squeeze this in later in the month. I've just got to start Salvation.

Phrynne | 323 comments I started and finished it last night. It's a very quick read and an excellent story. Robb shortens it by making it very easy for Eve to discover who the murderers are.

message 10: by Linda R, (new) - added it

Linda R, Michelle wrote: "I should be able to squeeze this in later in the month. I've just got to start Salvation."

Same here. I just got started in Salvation Salvation in Death (In Death, #27) by J.D. Robb last night. I'm way behind the rest of you. Been reading Carolina Moon by Nora Roberts .

This is now a spoiler zone. Feel free to openly share your thoughts on Ritual In Death.

This is one of my favorite In Death novellas. It's an especially brutal and horrifying crime considering the innocence of the victim and the cruel betrayal of her trust by "friends" and colleagues. It's made worse in my eyes because it's premeditated by several people...not just one psycho, although the leader is certainly a psycho.

Share your thoughts on this crime and the way it all plays out.

Love this quote by Peabody as she watches Roarke walk away:

"Boy, sometimes you just want to slurp him up without a straw." She wheeled her eyes to Eve. "Did I say that out loud?"

HaHaHaHa! I agree with Peabody!

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 994 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "It's an especially brutal and horrifying crime considering the innocence of the victim and the cruel betrayal of her trust by "friends" and colleagues.."

I was truly horrified by this. She trusted these "people" and considered them her friends as did Jack.

Lauren wrote: "Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "It's an especially brutal and horrifying crime considering the innocence of the victim and the cruel betrayal of her trust by "friends" and colleagues.."

I was ..."

I was horrified too, Lauren. The betrayal of trust was almost unbelievable as they "groomed" her for this.

message 16: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 736 comments This one didn't do it for me, sorry!

Don't much care for the woo-woo factor, as Eve calls it, I think.

That's understandable, Charlene. It's always nice to get all the different opinions with discussions of what worked and what didn't.

Roarke brings his "witch", Isis, to Eve's crime scene (gasp!) and then they (including Eve) "open the circle". What did you take from this scene? Peabody is surprised Eve agreed to it. Why do you think she agreed? Do you feel it changed her perspective at all?

Eve went for the jugular in that interview room. What do you think about the way this played out?

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2559 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "Roarke brings his "witch", Isis, to Eve's crime scene (gasp!) and then they (including Eve) "open the circle". What did you take from this scene? Peabody is surprised Eve agreed to it. Why do you t..."

Roarke has his Irish superstitions. He wants supernatural help for the satanic crime scene. It doesn't sit well with him when Eve runs herself down working on a case. It also doesn't sit well when she isn't open to the occult and/or brushes off anything that isn't black and white.

I believe Eve allows it because she trusts Isis after their last meeting. Also she understands Roarke. Eve is a little more open minded because Mira and Peabody have opened her based on their knowledge and family.

It is very interesting to jump into this book after reading the latest book in the series. Roarke shows his anger differently and isn't communicating with Eve. The relationship has grown leaps and bounds. Bringing Isis to the crime scene and notifying Eve via voice mail is his old way of dealing with his anger.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2559 comments This isn't one of my favorite novella's. Many of the novella's have a lot of story and character development packed into a few chapters. This story seems rushed and not as satisfying as the other novellas we read.

Sharon wrote: "Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "Roarke brings his "witch", Isis, to Eve's crime scene (gasp!) and then they (including Eve) "open the circle". What did you take from this scene? Peabody is surp..."

It is a big leap from the last book to this one, I agree, Sharon. Roarke is more open & superstitious than Eve and is good with covering all the bases...including the tapping into the supernatural. When Roarke brought Isis in on his own & didn't inform Eve in person - I was sure it would hit the fan.

message 22: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 736 comments It seemed clear that more than one person who was very recently in the crime scene felt the coldness of evil still lingering. Eve has come to see that there may be a little bit of gray between her black-and-white view of police work and the reality of something outside her kind of work.

Charlene wrote: "It seemed clear that more than one person who was very recently in the crime scene felt the coldness of evil still lingering. Eve has come to see that there may be a little bit of gray between her ..."

Good point, Charlene. And I agree. Eve is definitely able to accept a little more "gray" in her previously all black & white view of things. She ever so slightly crosses that line more and more.

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 779 comments Charlene wrote: "This one didn't do it for me, sorry!

Don't much care for the woo-woo factor, as Eve calls it, I think."

Me either, Charlene. I just felt this moved along way too quickly even though it was a novella. Just an ok read for me. Not what I've come to expect from this series.

message 25: by Linda R, (new) - added it

Linda R, Karen ♐ wrote:
Me either, Charlene. I just felt this moved along way too quickly even tho..."

I finished this tonight and felt it was rushed in the beginning, but there was a little more meat to it by the Isis/woo woo section. It was OK if not the best.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2559 comments I re-read this book while I was waiting for my annual mammogram (ladies it is very important that everyone gets one). Still isn't a favorite but it makes more sense when I think that it stated as part of the anthology Suite 606. My guess is each short story about mythical events that happen in room 606.

Michelle | 2404 comments I've finished it. Finally caught up.

This felt really short. I feel this was written for us, the fans and faithful because a lot was covered in it. How far Roarke and Eve as a couple has come. Not on lodes he have a field kit in his car he know exactly what she needs when he send her clothes. I wonder if she is that clued in to Roarke ? Yet still she knows him, she does the Isis read, she allows him in the investigation .
Now for Eve and Isis? She's had too many sncounters with things she can not explain. She fights it but she has some kind of ... Exceptance? Not really but enough sense to not completely discount it.

message 28: by Sandra (last edited Sep 23, 2018 12:58PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Michelle wrote: "I've finished it. Finally caught up.

This felt really short. I feel this was written for us, the fans and faithful because a lot was covered in it. How far Roarke and Eve as a couple has come. No..."

I agree, Michelle. Eve will always be skeptical, I think...but doesn't completely dismiss it anymore.

Happy to have you back current with our buddyread! :)

Michelle | 2404 comments Thanks Sandra. Glad to be back!!!

I agree what you all are saying. It felt rushed. I almost get the feeling because of Salvarion and the next installment Robb had committed to this but rushed or forgot about it it because what was coming next. Do churned this out. I just mean usually the novellas feels more complete of rounded. I hope that makes sense.

message 30: by Karen (last edited Oct 12, 2018 04:14AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karen (rhyta) | 174 comments I'm still playing catch up but this was a nice treat. I actually like these forays into supernatural areas, it tests Eve but she always seems to learn something from it.
I like Isis and I think it was a nice touch to have her there for Roarke, it helped him "do" something because he felt so violated by the crime being committed in his suite. I also like how this follows on the heels of Salvation, two murders with different rituals involved.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2559 comments Karen wrote: "I'm still playing catch up but this was a nice treat. I actually like these forays into supernatural areas, it tests Eve but she always seems to learn something from it.
I like Isis and I think it ..."

Interesting observation about the two rituals. I always get new perspectives from this group.

Karen wrote: "I'm still playing catch up but this was a nice treat. I actually like these forays into supernatural areas, it tests Eve but she always seems to learn something from it.
I like Isis and I think it ..."

Nice observation, Karen. I agree. It's quite a contrast.

message 33: by Mdy (new)

Mdy | 212 comments Sharon wrote: "Karen wrote: "I'm still playing catch up but this was a nice treat. I actually like these forays into supernatural areas, it tests Eve but she always seems to learn something from it.
I like Isis a..."

I agree Sharon - it's one of the reasons I enjoy this group - I always read about something I've missed or never even thought about. Really enjoy reading others' views and reactions.

Sharon wrote: "Karen wrote: "I'm still playing catch up but this was a nice treat. I actually like these forays into supernatural areas, it tests Eve but she always seems to learn something from it.
I like Isis a..."

So do I! Even after several read-throughs, it's always great to see it through someone else's eyes.