What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Romance (non historical)-published around the 90’s to early 2000’s. A sheltered woman bribes a man in a bar to pretend to be her boyfriend...

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Morgan (new)

Morgan Jolly | 3 comments It’s been about 15 years since I’ve read it but here’s what I remember:

SPOILERS!!!!!!

The main character had a very overbearing mother so at around 30 (I think), she’s still a virgin. Her mother dies and leaves her some money. She goes out, buys trashy clothing, And decides to go to a bar and bribe a man to fake a relationship with her for”x” amount of time. He needed the money so he does it but ends up falling for her.

Seems like she worked at a bank and her coworkers pitied her, so of course when she shows up with this new guy they all are curious.

I remember a scene where there’s an upcoming bake sale or charity event so she goes to her coworkers house to help bake, he shows up and kisses her in the hallway.

She may have ended up pregnant toward the end...

Super vague, I know. Any help would be great!!!!!

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36565 comments Mod
Morgan, what's the tone - romantic, funny, angsty, steamy/clean, etc.?

Can you tell us more about the main characters - his job/skills/interests, why he agrees to be her fake boyfriend, how much does she pay him, her job/skills/interests, are they strangers, etc.?

What's the location - country, region, big city/small town?

message 3: by Morgan (new)

Morgan Jolly | 3 comments From what I remember it was a small town. She was a teller at a bank but I can't remember what he did or how much she paid him. Its been so long since I've read that book; everything is vague.

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36565 comments Mod
Do you think the guy was desperate for the money or just wanted to have fun pretending to be her boyfriend?

message 5: by Morgan (new)

Morgan Jolly | 3 comments Desperate. It seems like he was in some kind of financial bind. Also, I can remember that when her mother dies she goes and buys revealing clothing, clothes she had never been allowed to wear before and then goes to the bar. She sat in her car trying to convince herself to walk in. I can only remember bits and pieces and I swear I’ve Googled every key word I can think of.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40644 comments Mod
Morgan, are you still looking for this or did you find it?