Play Book Tag discussion

Forever Fifty and Other Negotiations
Archive: Other Books > Forever Fifty and other Negotiations 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Diane Zwang | 485 comments Forever Fifty and other Negotiations by Judith Viorst
3/5 stars

I discovered Judith Viorst when my son read Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. Looking through her list of books I found The Decades of a Woman's Life series. I was around forty when I read How Did I Get to Be Forty and other Atrocities and I thought it was funny. I have since vowed to read the rest of her decades series which continues until eighty so far (she is still living). Forever Fifty is a book of poems, my favorite was You Say You Want To Know How Old I Am? What I like most about this book is how a woman re-evaluates her life every decade and puts pen to paper. Some of the poems were dated for me and our life situations are different but I still enjoyed reading it.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9391 comments I have spent a year going to 50th birthday parties every other week, with mine at the tail end of the year. My/Our friends are incredible extraordinary dynamic beautiful women who are just beginning. If this is what 50 is, sign me up - since I don't really have a choice in the matter anyway. Fifty is fabulous. Don't need the book, I am living this one in the moment. Having the time of my life.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Love it Amy! I turned 51 this year. I know for so many birthdays bother them, especially the years that seem to be considered milestones. 40 didn't bother me, 50 didn't bother me. I am fortunate to be healthy and I've just never taken on the perspective of "getting old". I work out, I eat well, I love life.
In saying all of this Diane great review, the books sounds interesting. I love how this author is taking the definition of aging into her own hands and putting a positive, introspective spin on it. Good for her!

message 4: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8455 comments I went to Philly this summer to see my best friend, who I had not seen in 3 years! We spent a week on her porch, drinking wine and reading aloud from these books-so good! I love her humor and out look on age