Play Book Tag discussion

The Woman in White
This topic is about The Woman in White
August 2018: Espionage > The Woman in White / Wilkie Collins. 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

LibraryCin | 9055 comments The Woman in White / Wilkie Collins
3 stars

When Walter comes across a mysterious “woman in white”, he must find out who she is. In the meantime, he has fallen in love with Laura, who will be married to Sir Percival, though she is in love with Walter.

The book is told from many different points of view – technically, all “secondary” characters to the story. I actually thought this was kind of a cool way to tell the story, it’s just that I didn’t enjoy all the perspectives – many of them bored me.

I was bored by the beginning and the end. It did pick up for me about ¼ of the way through (in my edition, that took about 125 pages), but then it slowed down again for the last 175 pages. It was the middle section, as told by the sister, Marian, that I really liked. This was when Laura/Lady Glyde was married. I’m not sure if it was just that part of the plot that kept my attention the best, or if I preferred the narrative as told by a woman? I quite liked Marian’s character, but thought Laura was pretty much a non-entity – she had no personality… despite being so much part of the plot, she seemed to mostly be in the background. I suppose that could be due to the fact that it was told by everyone else’s perspectives?

Averaging out that I wasn’t crazy about the beginning and end, but that I really did enjoy the middle part, I’m giving it 3 stars, “ok”.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6382 comments It was a 3-star read for me as well.

I know people have shelved it as "espionage" but I don't remember any actual spying going on (other than people spying on one another, but that's not truly espionage).

message 3: by Karin (new) - added it

Karin | 7460 comments Book Concierge wrote: "It was a 3-star read for me as well.

I know people have shelved it as "espionage" but I don't remember any actual spying going on (other than people spying on one another, but that's not truly es..."

I agree--this counts because people have shelved it espionage, but it's not.

I liked this better than Moonstone, but not as much as No Name

LibraryCin | 9055 comments Book Concierge wrote: "I know people have shelved it as "espionage" but I don't remember any actual spying going on (other than people spying on one another, but that's not truly es..."

Yes, I agree. I would not have put it under "espionage", except that others have already shelved it that way. Yes, there were people spying on each other.

LibraryCin | 9055 comments This is the only book I've read by him. I don't have others on my tbr, so I'm not sure if I'll read more or not.

Diane Zwang | 485 comments I read this 3 years ago and I rather liked it. I gave it 4 stars but it seems I am in the minority with this one.

Idit | 1028 comments Diane wrote: "I read this 3 years ago and I rather liked it. I gave it 4 stars but it seems I am in the minority with this one."

I loved this book. really enjoyed the story telling, the writing, the different angles. I could imagine some of the settings like i've seen a movie (which I haven't. not sure if there is one?)

Not sure I loved the ending - I can't remember - but it didn't take anything from my enjoyment of the book as a whole

message 8: by Karin (new) - added it

Karin | 7460 comments Diane wrote: "I read this 3 years ago and I rather liked it. I gave it 4 stars but it seems I am in the minority with this one."

I gave it 4 stars. The assistant director at our library likes this one better than Moonstone as well and is a big mystery reader.

In my experience most people either prefer the Moonstone OR The Woman in White, but a very few love both.