Play Book Tag discussion

August 2018: Espionage > The Woman Who Smashed Codes by Jason Fagone 4*'s

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MargieD2017 (new)

MargieD2017 | 276 comments What a fascinating read! This book reveals the contributions made by a woman in the breaking of enemy codes during WW1 and WWII. She also broke codes used by smugglers and other enterprises. It discloses the life of a woman in business during years when women were not welcome. Her husband is a co-worker whose contributions were highly regarded while hers, while respected by those with whom she worked and her husband, were often shadowed and claimed by others leaving her largely unacknowledged. This book was a wonderful expose on the times and the hidden efforts of this amazingly talented woman, Elizebeth Friedman. It also tells of the accomplishments of her of husband, William Friedman. Ofen it is written as a bit of journalistic reporting on the facts and yet during others was storytelling at its best. Thoroughly enjoyed this book and would recommend it to others wholeheartedly.

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments So glad you enjoyed this one as well! I was so amazed by what both she and her husband accomplished, but found the fact that she was a woman working at a time when it was uncommon to be particularly impressive.

I would love to read more about her husband. It sounds like he was privy to secret WWII information that took a profound toll on his mental and emotional health. The author definitely implied that he knew about Pearl Harbor in advance but that his intel had not been taken seriously!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review! This book is reviewed well by most people who read it. What a great part of history that shows important roles women have played in war and espionage.

message 4: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7463 comments I'm looking forward to this! I didn't know this ahead of time, but one of the POVs in a novel I just read was a female code breaker (well, she translated the German from the decoded messages until she had to help decode some radio broadcasts done in English). The novel is only 3 stars, but this book you just read is on my tbr.

message 5: by MargieD2017 (new)

MargieD2017 | 276 comments I do hope you enjoy it as much as I, Karin!