What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Fiction about a Fair/Carnival that may also use Photography

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alexander (new)

Alexander Davidson (_alexanderjohn) | 5 comments In November 2009, I traveled with a co-worker from the University of Michigan to present at a writing conference. In the airport before the return flight, he closed a book, having finished it, and had a content smile. He said he has re-read this book before and always finds something new to appreciate. He also said he wanted to sit there with the book a little longer. I've always been curious about this book, however, a few years after that moment he collapsed and died due to a brain aneurysm. Not remembering the title of this book haunts me.

I remember it had a title that had to do with a fair or a carnival, I want to say a World's Fair, but that might not be true. It's possible that the novel also includes photography as part of its storytelling (in the same method of Jonathan Safran Foer's Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close). I know this is super vague, but hopefully someone has some ideas that might put this issue to rest.

Thank you.

message 2: by Jillian (new)

Jillian (jilliangs) | 48 comments Perhaps The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America?
It's set at the 1893 World's Fair. Photographs aren't a central part of the storytelling, but they do appear at the beginning of each section.

message 3: by Alexander (new)

Alexander Davidson (_alexanderjohn) | 5 comments Thank you, Jillian, but I do know it is not that one. Thank you, though!

message 5: by Alexander (new)

Alexander Davidson (_alexanderjohn) | 5 comments Thank you, Adele, but if memory serves it was a more mainstream piece of fiction (not self-published). I’ll check out your title though. Thank you!

message 6: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5055 comments Do you remember the cover?
Was it literary fiction or genre fiction (like mystery, horror, humor, etc)?

message 7: by Alexander (new)

Alexander Davidson (_alexanderjohn) | 5 comments Tab, to my knowledge, it was literary fiction.

message 8: by El (new)

El | 502 comments Could it be Dreamland by Kevin Baker? Coney Island is a primary setting. I don't remember photographs, but it's been a while since I've read it.

message 9: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1226 comments E. L. Doctorow has a book called World's Fair World's Fair by E.L. Doctorow but I don't think it has photographs.

message 10: by Alexander (new)

Alexander Davidson (_alexanderjohn) | 5 comments Adele, I’ll check it out!

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40648 comments Mod
Alexander, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 12: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments If you are, might want to check the It Happened at the Fair list.