You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Book Resources & Recommendations > Best feel-good book you ever read?

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ~Annaki~ (new)

~Annaki~ (annaki) | 83 comments What book stands out for you as the happiest, best feel-good book you ever read?

message 2: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51925 comments The best? That's a hard one. I would say that the Harry Potter books are right up there.

message 3: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10290 comments That is tricky. I agree woth Janice, Potter is all about feel-good. Other books that spring to mind are Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe, The Art of Racing in the Rain, A Snicker of Magic, Travels with Charley: In Search of America if your into non fiction.

message 4: by Lisa (last edited Aug 27, 2018 03:35AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Hmmm, I tend to gravitate more towards hard hitting books that wouldn't generally be considered uplifting, so this is quite a difficult question. I guess I would I say A Street Cat Named Bob. I also found Call Me By Your Name uplifting in its way (even though it's not technically a happy, feel-good book) because of the beauty of the central relationship and the writing.

message 5: by Almeta (last edited Aug 27, 2018 12:25PM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10535 comments Lisa wrote: "....I also found Call Me By Your Name uplifting in its way (even though it's not technically a happy, feel-good book) because of the beauty of the central relationship and the writing.

I am happy to hear your comments about Call Me By Your Name. It has been in my queue but I keep dancing all around it with other books. I saw the movie just before Academy Award time, so I think I know how it will play out. Don't know why I have been hesitating. Soooo I'm going to read it next.

Thanks for the poke!☺

message 6: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15585 comments I know I have written several reviews were I mention that a book made me feel happy, but I never made a shelf and I have a hard time remembering them now. I think Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe is one, and also The Rosie Project and The Universe Versus Alex Woods. Maybe also A Man Called Ove or some other books by that author.

It's often the sweet, beautiful and heart-warming books that leave me with a happy feeling :)

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Almeta wrote: "Lisa wrote: "....I also found Call Me By Your Name uplifting in its way (even though it's not technically a happy, feel-good book) because of the beauty of the central relationship and the writing...."

I hope you enjoy it, Almeta. It's a good book, although I actually preferred the movie as it was a bit less angsty. Actually, the movie is one of my all-time favourites. The book is similar to the movie but there are differences too.

message 8: by Sandra, Moderator (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9804 comments I agree about FRIED GREEN TOMATOES, THE ROSIE PROJECT, and A MAN CALLED OVE. I would add THE LITTLE PRINCE, THE GUERNSEY LITERARY AND POTATO PEEL PIE SOCIETY.

message 9: by Sandra, Moderator (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9804 comments JONATHAN LIVINGSTON SEAGULL and THE HELP come to mind too.
(Sorry, in the app)

message 10: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20699 comments I remember reading Jonathan Livingston Seagull so many years ago, over and over. I still get a good feeling thinking about it and the title makes me smile when I see it. Thanks, Sandra!

message 11: by Sandra, Moderator (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9804 comments You are welcome, Cherie. :*)
I read it 25 years ago and always meant to reread it.

message 12: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10290 comments Oh I agree with The Rosie Project and The Help :-D

message 13: by Tiny (new)

Tiny (lostsoulreader) I agree with you Janice. Harry Potter books are definitely one of the best feel-good books I have read too. Even my Granny loves them! :)

message 15: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 887 comments Sonam wrote: "I agree with you Janice. Harry Potter books are definitely one of the best feel-good books I have read too. Even my Granny loves them! :)"

Absolutely the best.

message 16: by A.A.B (last edited Sep 03, 2018 02:05PM) (new)

A.A.B | 5 comments I second The Blue Castle recommendation.

I am not sure whether it would fit the "uplifting" category, as the tone of these books is mostly even and very pleasant, but if you are looking for the "feel-good" sensation similar to the extreme coziness of a familiar armchair and a hot drink on a cold night, I would recommend Alexander McCall Smith's books, especially The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency and other books in this and the Isabel Dalhousie series. Most of his books that I've read gave me this feeling.

In the children's/teen/YA category, in addition to the above-mentioned Harry Potter, I would recommend books by Diana Wynne Jones. Especially Deep Secret and Howl's Moving Castle (just don't go in expecting it to be very similar to Hayao Miyazaki's animation film).

message 17: by Jan (last edited Dec 31, 2018 04:38PM) (new)

Jan (mcfitzsatx) | 30 comments I've thought a lot about this because I'm considering an entire web site just for this kind of recommendation. It's more difficult than you may think to come up with a set of truly uplifting stories these days. I read a lot of historical mysteries, and even the cozy versions usually include a murder or another serious crime.

I do agree with the The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series and Fried Green Tomatoes!

"West with the Night" by Beryl Markham is a very uplifting story, not just because it has to do with flying. :-)

"Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World" by Vicki Myron is a sweet story.

"Cordelia Underwood: Or, the Marvelous Beginnings of the Moosepath League" by Van Reid is the first of four fun stories of turn-of-the-century New England.

"The Journey of the Raindrop" by Suzanne Burkett is a nice short story that even children would appreciate.

"At Home in Mitford" by Jan Karon would also be on my list.

Also: "An Irish Country Doctor" by Patrick Taylor and all of the James Herriot books, starting with "All Creatures Great and Small."

message 18: by ~Annaki~ (new)

~Annaki~ (annaki) | 83 comments Jan wrote: "I've thought a lot about this because I'm considering an entire web site just for this kind of recommendation. It's more difficult than you may think to come up with a set of truly uplifting storie..."

Good suggestions, thank you 😊

message 20: by Sandra, Moderator (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9804 comments Abbie DiscoSuperFly wrote: "The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin"

Totally!

message 21: by ~Annaki~ (new)

~Annaki~ (annaki) | 83 comments Thank you!!