Old Books, New Readers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
76 views
Archived > September 2018 Book Nominations

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by La Tonya (new)

La Tonya  Jordan | 721 comments Mod
The theme for September 2018 nominations has to do with the railroad. We will read a book where the railroad is part of the story. I look forward to seeing the nominations.


Rules
1. One book per person
2. Poll will be set up when we reach 6 valid nominations
3. Book should follow the theme
4. Try to explain why you are choosing the book (optional)

Enjoy Reading,
La Tonya


message 2: by Ray (new)

Ray Palen (rpalen) | 2 comments THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY - Michael Crichton. Not only a true story but written like an edge-of-your seat thriller that makes it compulsively readable.


message 3: by La Tonya (last edited Aug 26, 2018 12:26PM) (new)

La Tonya  Jordan | 721 comments Mod
Ray wrote: "THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY - Michael Crichton. Not only a true story but written like an edge-of-your seat thriller that makes it compulsively readable."

For this group classics are at least 50 yrs old, well known, or acclaimed. This book was 1st published in 1975. It is only 43 years old. But, it is well known and acclaimed; therefore, we are keeping it on the nominations. Thank you for your nomination. Enjoy Reading.


Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) Atlas Shrugged The (main) protagonist (Dagny Taggart) is an executive of a transcontinental railroad and a great deal of the plot revolves around the RR.

The book was first published in 1957 and is well know, respected and somewhat controversial.


message 5: by La Tonya (new)

La Tonya  Jordan | 721 comments Mod
Mike (the Paladin) wrote: "Atlas Shrugged The (main) protagonist (Dagny Taggart) is an executive of a transcontinental railroad and a great deal of the plot revolves around the RR.

The book was first published in..."


Thank you for your nomination. Enjoy Reading.


Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) You to.

:)


message 7: by JazzyJake (new)

JazzyJake | 26 comments Murder on the Orient Express - Agatha Christie
though the mystery has been spoiled by the too many movies

I believe the group has read Anna Karenina, which is only tangentially train related
anyway. 😉


message 8: by La Tonya (new)

La Tonya  Jordan | 721 comments Mod
JazzyJake wrote: "Murder on the Orient Express - Agatha Christie
though the mystery has been spoiled by the too many movies

I believe the group has read Anna Karenina, which is only tangentially train related
anywa..."


You are correct. This group has read Anna Karenina. Thank You for the nomination of Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie. Enjoy Reading.


message 9: by Jon (new)

Jon | 400 comments My idea for the railroad is figurative, not literal. What I mean in particular is the Maritime Underground Railroad, and for that I recommend "Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl," by Harriet Jacobs.

Harriet Jacobs, as a fugitive slave, used the Maritime Underground Railroad (by ship) going from Edenton, North Carolina to Pennsylvania. She was pursued by her master for years. The amount of sexual exploitation of women slaves in this book seems to be just unfathomable, so I can understand her drive to escape and save her family.


message 10: by Ian (last edited Aug 26, 2018 03:21PM) (new)

Ian | 371 comments Mod
I'd like to nominate The Beast Within by Émile Zola. It is about a railway station master and railroads are supposedly featured heavily in the book. It is one of the Rougon-Macquart cycle of books, which I have had on my to-read list for many years.


message 11: by La Tonya (last edited Aug 26, 2018 04:29PM) (new)

La Tonya  Jordan | 721 comments Mod
Jon wrote: "My idea for the railroad is figurative, not literal. What I mean in particular is the Maritime Underground Railroad, and for that I recommend "Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl," by Harriet Jac..."

Thank you for the your nomination. But, the book does not truly fit the theme. The theme was more literal then figurative. Please continue to nominate books in the future. Enjoy Reading.


message 12: by La Tonya (last edited Aug 26, 2018 04:26PM) (new)

La Tonya  Jordan | 721 comments Mod
Ian wrote: "I'd like to nominate The Beast Within by Émile Zola. It is about a railway station master and railroads are supposedly featured heavily in the book. It is one of the Rougon-Macquart c..."

Thank you for your nomination. Enjoy Reading.


message 13: by Mohi (new)

Mohi Uddin | 10 comments Murder on The Orient Express


message 14: by La Tonya (new)

La Tonya  Jordan | 721 comments Mod
Mohi wrote: "Murder on The Orient Express"

This book has been nominated. Enjoy Reading. 📚


message 15: by Lorenzo (new)

Lorenzo (lorbo84) Night by Elie Wiesel. The book, first published in 1958, has just turned 50 and tells the story of the Holocaust from the eyes of a survivor.
Born into a Jewish ghetto in Hungary Wiesel was seized along with his family and brought to Auschwitz. Thousands of Jews were moved across Europe on endless and inhuman train journeys and the train is a recurrent theme throughout the book.
The book falls into the category "modern classics".


message 16: by La Tonya (new)

La Tonya  Jordan | 721 comments Mod
Lorenzo wrote: "Night by Elie Wiesel. The book, first published in 1958, has just turned 50 and tells the story of the Holocaust from the eyes of a survivor.
Born into a Jewish ghetto in Hungary Wiesel was seized..."


Thank You for your nomination. Enjoy Reading.🔖 📖


message 17: by Maureen (new)

Maureen | 9 comments I don't know if this qualifies. Mugby Junction is a collection of short stories by Charles Dickens and others - but I believe, mostly Dickens.


message 18: by La Tonya (new)

La Tonya  Jordan | 721 comments Mod
Maureen wrote: "I don't know if this qualifies. Mugby Junction is a collection of short stories by Charles Dickens and others - but I believe, mostly Dickens."

Thank You for your nomination. Enjoy Reading. 📚


message 20: by La Tonya (new)

La Tonya  Jordan | 721 comments Mod
Leslie wrote: "Stealing the General The Great Locomotive Chase and the First Medal of Honor by Russell S. Bonds Stealing the General: The Great Locomotive Chase and the First Medal of Honor by [author..."

We received our six valid nominations. The nominations are close. Enjoy Reading . 📙


back to top
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.