SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Archive: Past Team Challenges > BINGO R17 | Discussion Thread

Comments Showing 1-50 of 227 (227 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29494 comments BSB @ SOS
Welcome to SOS' 17th Round of BookShelf Bingo!

Please sign up here, not here. This thread is for random BSB chatter only. Many Thanks!

message 2: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29494 comments So excited to be heading into another round of BSB! 😁

There is a new "alternate shelf" option available to players in R17. Basically, if you're finding it difficult to find a book for a shelf, you can choose from one of the three Alternative Reader's Choice Options listed for this round. You can review these, as well as the shelves for this round, here. Restrictions do apply, so be sure to read through the rules now and ask any questions you may have.

message 3: by Art (aka Whistler Reads) (last edited Aug 26, 2018 01:14PM) (new)

Art (aka Whistler Reads) (art-whistlerreads) | 874 comments ... That grabby hands alternative shelf seems problematic to me ...

... as a lot of the books shelved there aren't published yet ...

message 4: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29494 comments True. But, if it gets called and you can't find one there that's out and available to you, you're welcome to go for one of the alternate options available this round.

message 5: by Sam (new)

Sam | 1052 comments I'm super excited to play this again. Do you want me to do the weekly updates again?

message 6: by Kim (new)

Kim Shumaker (kim_shumaker) | 707 comments Hi - the link for Sci-Fi Romance is coming up as https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/...

message 7: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 24181 comments Yes please Sam :)

Thanks for pointing that out Kim - Steph will have to fix the typo when she's on next :)

message 8: by Steph, Serious series addict (last edited Aug 27, 2018 08:54AM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29494 comments Thanks in advance, Sam. And, thanks for the catch, Kim, I’ll fix it when I’m on my computer.

message 9: by Eldarwen (new)

Eldarwen | 1728 comments Thanks, Sam! Your updates are awesome! :-)

message 10: by Sam (last edited Aug 27, 2018 11:37AM) (new)

Sam | 1052 comments :)

I like doing them.

message 11: by Mary C (last edited Aug 27, 2018 11:58AM) (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 2490 comments OK, what does "grabby-hands" even mean?

I might have to use the 2 alternative options for grabby-hands and raunchy. I don't really read straight out erotica anymore as I just got tired of it. But I'll scroll through them both now. Hopefully my team mates will all love those 2 shelves or I'll get lucky in my scrolling.

(ugh Grabby Hands looks like mostly YA too)

message 12: by Laura (new)

Laura | 765 comments Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave wrote: "OK, what does "grabby-hands" even mean?

I might have to use the 2 alternative options for grabby-hands and raunchy. I don't really read straight out erotica anymore as I just got tired of it. But..."

There's an awful lot of Sarah J. Maas on that Raunchy shelf. And I saw some Ilona Andrews. So it's not hopeless. :)

message 13: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Davis | 735 comments Oooh! I'm excited about the new shelves! Can't wait to get reading!

message 14: by Ora (new)

Ora (oeamis) I have added the shelves I didn't have. I am in the process of adding my favorite UF and paranormal series to grabby hands, including Jane Yellowrock and Kate Daniels. BDB and Eve Langais for raunchy.
Any suggestions would be welcomed for shelves.

message 15: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 2490 comments I found a couple books for both. The motorcycle club shelf seems like mostly straight out erotica too but I found a couple that are more romance and less erotica on there.

I used to read books like that but I just got tired of them and have had no real interest in picking them back up again.

I am a challenge prepper.

message 16: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29494 comments Kim wrote: "Hi - the link for Sci-Fi Romance is coming up as https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/..."

Fixed, thanks again :)

message 17: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29494 comments Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave wrote: "OK, what does "grabby-hands" even mean?"

My idea of 'grabby hands' is this: 😁
(view spoiler)
I'd use that shelf for those books I have on my 'Impatiently Waiting' shelf - same kinda gimme-now feeling.

It was a suggested shelf, same with 'raunchy' and a couple of the other new ones for this round. Hopefully y'all will be able to find something you'll enjoy. Everyone is welcome to add books to those shelves now to be used during the game, if they'd like. Same with adding books to the SOS bookshelf now for Free Space use.

message 18: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae | 522 comments Steph wrote: " -....Everyone is welcome to add books to those shelves now to be used during the game, if they'd like. Same with adding books to the SOS bookshelf now for Free Space use.."

Thanks Steph I thought about doing that but decided it might look a bit like self-serving. Hybrid and superhuman are my two shelves where I was like uggh... all fixed now :) Off to check the shelves,

message 19: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 2490 comments I added a superhumans shelf and a couple of books that fit. 2 were on it in a box set but not the individual books and I would like to read them. I think it would only be self serving if the books didn’t fit the shelf theme. Any books you add help other books players by giving them more options. Plus they might even be on there already. Some books and shelves have so many pages it’s impossible to get through them all.

message 20: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 2490 comments I have to say I love the alternative option. I kind of think it’s necessary if you are going to have a shelf like raunchy. Some people don’t read books with sex in then for religious or other reasons. Personally I just got tired of the nothing but sex books but I could have found something. I did find a couple options.

I have had a kindle freebie shelf for years. So I always like that one,

message 21: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 24181 comments That was our thinking too Mary.

Also now that there are limited shelves displayed, some people were really struggling to find books last round. Even though if the book is on the shelf but not displayed it can still be used.

message 22: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 913 comments For own-it I've cheated a bit :D, renaming my own "owned-books" to "own-it". My problem with "Favorite" is: it only goes there if I've already read it. For "Part of a series", I'm afraid I'm going to have to work a bit with calibre for including books in series (as I have first-in-a-series and next-in-a-series). "kindle-freebie" is already there. "Grabby-Hands" and "Raunchy", we'll see...

message 23: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 2490 comments Yes but there are likely books you have an interest in reading on the favorite shelf that other people have shelved.

message 24: by Mary C (last edited Aug 30, 2018 11:26AM) (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 2490 comments The hybrids is a new one but I found quickly since I am currently reading Halfway to the Grave and book 2 is on the list as well. I'm going to make sure the later books in the series are on it too.

What annoys me, is when I find one book in the series on the shelf but none of the others. It's really baffling when it's not the first one the series on it either, like someone randomly read book 4 in the series and gave it special shelves but none of the others in the series. ( have the same pet peeve with my library when they acquire say books 2, 5 and 9 in a series but none of the others! Drives me crazy)

message 25: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 913 comments Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave wrote: "Yes but there are likely books you have an interest in reading on the favorite shelf that other people have shelved."

Good point, yes.

message 26: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 2490 comments I had no idea I owned or wanted to read so many druid books. I stopped looking after I had 6 options listed.

message 27: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29494 comments Hopefully the alternative options works out for everyone. As it's new, we'd love feedback during the round to help us with any adjustments we may want to make going forward.

message 28: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Aug 30, 2018 06:55PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 1976 comments Maybe next round have an option to count any book in series of a book shelved for a couple of the likely having-people-looking-for-alternates shelves ( like possibly "raunchy") or slim-pickings-if-not-into-that-specific-theme shelves (like possibly "motorcycle club")?

Not all shelves, just what are likely to be a couple of trickier shelves.

ETA: personally, I've read raunchy book and books with motorcycles in them--my motorcycle series don't seem to be on that shelf at all, though. Well, at least not until I just added.

message 29: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 24181 comments That's one of the reasons we advise what shelves will be available for the game Debbie. Let's people figure out what they want to read, and if there isn't anything there, they can add them. It's always a win for everyone playing.

message 30: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 913 comments Sandra wrote: "That's one of the reasons we advise what shelves will be available for the game Debbie. Let's people figure out what they want to read, and if there isn't anything there, they can add them. It's al..."

:D :D So, I begin to choose the books for each theme at this moment.... And I decide my luck... good ;)

message 31: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michelle_mc) | 2158 comments Looking forward to this round, I love this part too though - early research :)

message 32: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29494 comments LOL Marisa ;)

message 33: by Moondance (new)

Moondance (moondance120) | 1872 comments I go through the shelves, make a plan and gather the books. Then when the shelf is called I read something else. Sigh. I think Marisa and I were separated at birth!

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 1976 comments I pick free space read in advance. But, I enjoy agonizing over what book to read when the call is made. Glance at first few pages of shelf to see if something I'm in the mood to read, often then checking to see if the later-in-series book I'm up to is n the shelf, spy out what everyone else is choosing, glance at my TBR to check potential reads, look at the previous Tuesday's new releases ...

Sunshine✰✰✰ | 484 comments Moondance wrote: "I go through the shelves, make a plan and gather the books. Then when the shelf is called I read something else. Sigh. I think Marisa and I were separated at birth!"

I started to go through the shelves to pre-pick books but gave up and tossed my list. Lol. I know I'd change my mind come shelf call too.

Art (aka Whistler Reads) (art-whistlerreads) | 874 comments I've found so many new-to-me authors/series on 'CALL DAY' ...
besides the camaraderie it's the reason I am a BSB player!

message 37: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae | 522 comments I love poring over the lists prior to shelf call and I must admit I often change my mind at the Eleventh Hour and go something totally different but for those shelves that don't appeal like in this instance the hybrid shelf (there's only one book that I have actually placed there myself which appeals out of 19 pages) so I know not to read that book until or if hybrid is called. (It appears on a lot of other shelves as well. )

I do like the idea of the alternative tasks that have been included this round.

message 38: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29494 comments Art (Posting elsewhere as Whistler Reads) wrote: "I've found so many new-to-me authors/series on 'CALL DAY' ...
besides the camaraderie it's the reason I am a BSB player!"

Love hearing that!

message 39: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 908 comments For the FREE space book option #2, does it have to be on the list here in the group, or can it be on the listopia that was created from the list?

message 40: by Steph, Serious series addict (last edited Sep 02, 2018 12:13PM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29494 comments Great question, Diane. I wasn't thinking that they'd possibly contain more/less than the other. Yes, books may be chosen from either the BEST OF threads here or the corresponding Listopia lists. I've updated the Free Space rules to state the change.

When noting where you chose your FS book, please list BEST OF list no matter which list (SOS thread or Listopia) book was chosen.

message 41: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 908 comments Thanks Steph!

message 42: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29494 comments Welcome. Thanks for asking.

message 43: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 913 comments Moondance wrote: "I go through the shelves, make a plan and gather the books. Then when the shelf is called I read something else. Sigh. I think Marisa and I were separated at birth!"

Yes, I think so :D

message 44: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 24181 comments I usually do the same, this time I haven't bothered to check the shelves, just had a quick glance.

message 45: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 2490 comments I get most of my books from the library so that’s why I like to make a list ahead. But I don’t always stick to it. If I can, I like to find a series that works for multiple shelves.

message 46: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29494 comments Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave wrote: "If I can, I like to find a series that works for multiple shelves."

It’s always nice when that happens.

message 47: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 24181 comments Yes, Cheryl's memorable In Death spree comes to mind :)

message 48: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29494 comments Yep!

message 49: by Moondance (new)

Moondance (moondance120) | 1872 comments Sandra wrote: "Yes, Cheryl's memorable In Death spree comes to mind :)"

You have no idea how many I have lined up!! Lol!

message 50: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 913 comments Lucky you, Cheryl. I only can line up the book which is published tomorrow (and it will be a reread for bingo ;) )

« previous 1 3 4 5