The Reading Challenge Group discussion

Readathons > Banned Books Redathon

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

Jenny Clark | 1543 comments Mod
Through the years, there have been plenty of books that have been banned, either from schools or from countries in general.
Some that come to mind are 1984, We, Brave New World and surprisingly Ramona Quimby, Age 8.
This is a week long readathon, until September 1st, centering on Banned or Challenged books. Most libraries use this week to showcase banned books as well!
Lets us know what you plan to read, have read and are reading and any banned books you wish would stay banned!

message 2: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

Jenny Clark | 1543 comments Mod
I remember having to read Ramona Quimby Age 8 in elementary school and despising it! I think I will try and read Animal Farm this week.

message 3: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (last edited Aug 26, 2018 12:18PM) (new)

Rosemarie | 4053 comments Mod
I just finished reading Brave New World last week.
I finished The Scarlet Letter yesterday.
I am reading Summer by Edith Wharton right now, and it turns out it was banned in her home town when it was first published.

message 4: by Cindy (new)

Cindy  | 384 comments I am reading 1984. It is ironic that this book is on the banned book lists. The exact point George Orwell was warning people about.

message 5: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 826 comments Rosemarie wrote: "I just finished reading Brave New World last week.
I finished The Scarlet Letter yesterday.
I am reading Summer by Edith Wharton right now, and it turns out it was banned..."

Interesting that Summer was banned, I read this very recently. I’ll aim to read 1984 for this challenge.

message 6: by Nabil (new)

Nabil El | 1 comments I propose 1984 by George Orwell

message 7: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Renee M | 4728 comments Mod
Going with The Master and Margarita. I don’t know that it was banned in the USSR but it had the snot censored out of it until 1969.

I’m about 1/3 in and finding it difficult to keep track of everyone. So far it’s pretty weird, but I’ve heard really good things so I’m continuing. Hopefully I’ll be able to sort it all out by the end.

message 8: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

Nabil, you can read whichever book you like for a Readathon. 1984 is an excellent choice. I have read it more than once.

Renee, I didn't always know what was going on in that book but it was so weird that I enjoyed it anyway. The second half of the book is really over the top in weirdness.

message 9: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Renee M | 4728 comments Mod
Oh. My. Lol

message 10: by Glennis (new)

Glennis | 138 comments Sophie's Choice has been on my nightstand for quite awhile. I think this means it's time has come!

message 11: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

I finished Summer this evening. It was a really good read. The author's descriptions of the landscape were amazing.

message 12: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 9 comments I think I'm going to read Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales. It's been sitting on my bookshelf for years and now it's a good time to read it I think

message 13: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

There are some very interesting fairy tales in there. Happy reading!

message 14: by Trisha (last edited Aug 28, 2018 11:11PM) (new)

Trisha | 826 comments I finished The Master and Margarita today - I read it for another group, didn’t know it was suitable for this challenge too.

I’m going to read Nineteen Eighty-Four next, as I intended.

message 15: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 826 comments I finished Nineteen Eighty-Four. It was a fascinating read, far better than expected. There were hints of the time when it was written such as chocolate rationing, with what would have been recent memories of using the Tube network as an air raid shelter. Also amazing foresight of being watched all the time by Orwell’s version of CCTV. A very creative & clever book, even though there were a few aspects of it that stopped me giving it a 5* rating.

message 16: by Dorottya (new)

Dorottya (dorottya_b) | 8 comments Too bad I found this topic too late - I was doing my own banned book readathon :). I read I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. All of them were pretty eye-opening, especially about why and how they were banned - the first two became easily some of my favourite reads this year (Tom Sawyer felt all over the place for me and I am really not the target audience, either).

message 17: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

I agree with you about the first two. They are worthwhile and very readable books, and I enjoyed them too.
I find Twain's humour heavy-handed at times, actually most of the time. 😉

message 18: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Bryson | 7 comments Is this group still active? I see posts from 2018.

message 19: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) | 456 comments The group is active, very much so, just not this thread, this is an old thread

message 20: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

Pamela, our active folders are labelled 2020.

message 21: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Bryson | 7 comments Rosemarie, how do I find the 2020 thread?

message 22: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 826 comments Pamela wrote: "Rosemarie, how do I find the 2020 thread?"

Pamela, scroll to the top of this page. Click on the group name to go to the home page. The discussions are all there, in sections, each section in date order with the most recent first.

message 23: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

Thanks for your help, Trisha. Goodreads can be very confusing at first, and every group is different.