Kenyons Minions discussion

Stygian (Dark-Hunter, #27)
This topic is about Stygian
Dark Hunter: Books > Stygian (DH #)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 123 (123 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Charlotte, Cheesy Cakes (last edited Aug 26, 2018 11:43AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charlotte (charkro) | 1798 comments -MAJOR SPOILER WARNING-
While the books don’t have to be read in order, if you haven’t read Dragonsworn, this synopsis will contain massive spoilers for DS. We just wanted to warn you!
-MAJOR SPOILER WARNING-

Born before man recorded time, I lived for thousands of years, believing myself to be something I’m not.

Someone I’m not.

Lied to and betrayed by gods, Daimons, and Dark-Hunters, I’ve struggled to find my way in a world where I’ve been cursed since the moment a vengeful goddess prematurely ripped me from my mother and planted me into the womb of an innocent woman who thought me her son.

Trained as a slayer and predator, I’ve learned to fit in and stay low. To become a tool for evil. Until I was sent to kill the one woman I couldn’t. My hesitation cost her, her life.

Or so I thought. In an act of betrayal that makes all the others pale in comparison, I’ve learned that things are not what they seem in this world and that my Phoebe still lives.

Now I will have to travel into the very pits of Hades to try and save her, even as everyone around me attempts to steal what little soul I have left. There’s only one person at my back and I’m not sure I can trust her either, for she was born of an enemy race. Yet sometimes the road to redemption is one that singes us to our very core. And if I fail to find the answers I need to save Phoebe, more than just my wife will die.

We will lose the world. Both human and Daimon.
~Urian of the House of Aricles

ANOTHER MAJOR SPOILER WARNING:
We will be naming (and discussing) Urian's heroine right away.

message 2: by Charlotte, Cheesy Cakes (last edited Aug 26, 2018 11:38AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charlotte (charkro) | 1798 comments All right, ladies and gents, here are the guidelines (rules):

1) Please be respectful to one another when posting.
Agree to disagree if necessary. Posts that are outright belittling or rude will be deleted, and warnings will be issued, either via PM or directly in the thread.

2) Please be respectful of the author.
While we understand that not everyone is going to like the book--and yes, it is your right to state as much--outright attacks on said author will not be tolerated.

3) Use spoiler tags as needed.
Not everyone acquire a copy of the book at the same time, nor can we all discuss the book at the same time. While it is expected that this thread will contain spoilers, we ask that extreme spoilers be tagged, for the first several days. A moderator will post when it is okay to lift the spoiler tags.

4) For the first week, intense discussions concerning this book, should be discussed here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
Because it is jarring--as well as highly annoying--to read post after post after post of nothing but spoiler tags. We want more than a handful of members to join in on the discussion.

5) Relax. Have fun.

message 3: by Charlotte, Cheesy Cakes (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charlotte (charkro) | 1798 comments Okay, the thread is finally open for discussion. Please keep the rules in mind.

So far, I'm at the point where Urian is ten years old. I'm liking this book so far. =)

Here's a question (or two) about Urian's heroine:
Were you surprised? Disappointed? Happy?

message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (savitar) | 1 comments Charlotte wrote: "Okay, the thread is finally open for discussion. Please keep the rules in mind.

So far, I'm at the point where Urian is ten years old. I'm liking this book so far. =)

Here's a question (or two) ..."
Who is the heroine? Will not get to read book until Monday!

message 5: by Bren (last edited Aug 28, 2018 06:52PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bren (brencl94) | 418 comments Charlotte wrote: "Okay, the thread is finally open for discussion. Please keep the rules in mind.

Here's a question (or two) ..."

To answer your question Elizabeth, Urian's heroine is (view spoiler).

I wasn't really surprised, there were a few hints about who she was, and I was actually hoping it would be her.

Although I do think that the people who were rooting for (view spoiler) to be Urian's heroine might be disappointed about how the book made her look.

Devaughn Johnson | 29 comments Spoiler alert I found her to be more realistic Urian came off as a hypocrite a lot in this book and I like how she called him out at the end Urian somehow always made a show of it whenever he was in the high ground morally when it came to his brothers, Ash whatever

message 7: by Bren (last edited Aug 28, 2018 09:28PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bren (brencl94) | 418 comments Devaughn wrote: "Spoiler alert I found her to be more realistic Urian came off as a hypocrite a lot in this book and I like how she called him out at the end Urian somehow always made a show of it whenever he was i..."

Oh, she was absolutely right in calling Urian out on his lies, I agree, he should have been honest to her from the begining.

But that scene where (view spoiler),was something else, at least in my opinion.

Helena (mhcfonseca) | 69 comments I finished it last nigh (yes, I know, we shouldn't spend all day reading :P), and I loved it.

I loved revisiting past books/stories from a different perspective, it was also great to recap almost the whole dark-hunter universe and history.

I was suprised about (view spoiler)

Do you think the next book is about (view spoiler)

Bren (brencl94) | 418 comments SK said next book would be Shadow's.

Andie K. (andie88) | 4 comments I feel the same way I felt after reading Styxx: this was truly Urian's book. After a while I didn't really care who's gonna be his heroine at the end. I like Beth and I like (view spoiler) as characters, but they both - to me - just seem as a means to a happy end. I was more interested in seeing Urian with his family (both), his character arc than his love life.

Also, (view spoiler) 180º personality shift at the end just felt out of place and rushed to me. I kept expecting a final twist. It was an easy way of dealing with this character.

message 11: by Bren (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bren (brencl94) | 418 comments Did anyone get a signed copy? Apparently it has a bonus scene.

Valerie | 26 comments Bren wrote: "Did anyone get a signed copy? Apparently it has a bonus scene."
I did from the Etsy shop but the estimated delivery could be as late as Sept 27th. If no one else got one I'll let you know when I get it. I have the audible version I am reading through now so I'll have a comparison. :)

message 13: by Bren (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bren (brencl94) | 418 comments According to B&N the bonus scene is Urian and his mother, so there is that. Anyway, I'm a bit curious about the three different endings the book has, and the clues SK wrote in some books about Sav and his story.

Devaughn Johnson | 29 comments 14 years locked up can change a person plus she was already changing in that book

message 15: by Alex (last edited Aug 31, 2018 12:03PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex | 40 comments I already finished and it was a really good read I feel. About the heroine (view spoiler). I was a little surprised (view spoiler). The ending with (view spoiler). For the life of me though, I had so much trouble trying to identify the key points that hint at Savitar's book like SK mentioned. (view spoiler) Did anyone else pick up any hints?

Devaughn Johnson | 29 comments Who is widowmakers father it could be Savitar

message 17: by Bren (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bren (brencl94) | 418 comments Alex wrote: "I already finished and it was a really good read I feel. About the heroine [spoilers removed]. I was a little surprised [spoilers removed]. The ending with [spoilers removed]. For the life of me th..."

The hints are only in a few of the signed books, they're more like handwritten notes by SK.

message 18: by Alex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex | 40 comments I see. I was thinking they'd be actual scenes in the book that may be hints.

message 19: by Marie (last edited Aug 30, 2018 07:34PM) (new) - added it

Marie | 1447 comments Given everything that has come out lately about Savitar and just other details about Apollymi's relationship with Kissare, did any of you see that scene of the powwow when they were trying to figure out how to beat the Atlanteans in a new light?

I mean, (view spoiler) And then in that scene that we see again in Stygian(view spoiler)

Valerie | 26 comments Marie wrote: "Given everything that has come out lately about Savitar and just other details about Apollymi's relationship with Kissare, did any of you see that scene of the powwow when they were trying to figur..."

I've been thinking along those lines too. I mean you could easily "hide" as a Chthonian if u r a god killer. I never linked Rezar that way, I went more the Rubati route for his breakdown, but if he was crushing on Braith that would totally be interesting. And it would fit.
I was dang near convinced of Sav's identity after Death Doesnt Bargain. But
(view spoiler) I don't know. I flip flop a lot. And in the end I usually convince myself he's Kissare.

message 21: by Marie (last edited Aug 31, 2018 09:37AM) (new) - added it

Marie | 1447 comments Mmmh, I need to reread that part because I thought (view spoiler)

I was also thinking that Rezar was somehow linked to Rubati which is what brought about his breakdown. I was thinking that Rubati was a relative or someone he cared about, so when she died, Rezar lost his mind and tore Monakribos apart. My point was that Sav, (view spoiler)

message 22: by Marie (last edited Aug 31, 2018 11:44AM) (new) - added it

Marie | 1447 comments I really think Stygian is an improvement over Dragonmark when comparing how the author repeated the same scenes that were featured in previous books. I mean, in Dragonmark, entire passages were basically copy/pasted word for word. In Stygian, that happened occasionally but only when the perspective shifted to that of the appropriate characters whose perspective was used when we first read the scene in other books. But even then that only happened once in a while. Stygian is a big improvement because if we saw the same scenes or events, we mostly saw them from Urian's point of view so old scenes were new again when seen through his eyes. His point of view provided another dimension through which we now view those events and people. The vibe is much more akin to how reading the events of STYXX ended up being completely different from learning about the same events in ACHERON

message 23: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Chase-Coakley | 20 comments Marie wrote: "I really think Stygian is an improvement over Dragonmark when comparing how the author repeated the same scenes that were featured in previous books. I mean, in Dragonmark, entire passages were bas..."

You are a so right. I was so disappointed in Dragonmark that I refused to read any of the other books in that series. It just felt like a rehashing of the first book. It's the only one aside from the Nick series I didn't finish. I can't wait to finish Stygian though. I'm on the part where they are in Cassandra's apartment and Stryker is just about to bite her.

Delilah Stephans | 56 comments I agree with Stryker’s assessment of Phoebe. She was in so few scenes in Wulf’s book that I didn’t know her. What I saw in Stygian was a spoiled little girl who fell for the bad boy. It also made clear that Urian really didnt spend a lot of time with her.

message 25: by Marie (new) - added it

Marie | 1447 comments Nikki wrote: "Marie wrote: "I really think Stygian is an improvement over Dragonmark when comparing how the author repeated the same scenes that were featured in previous books. I mean, in Dragonmark, entire pas..."

Dragonsworn is definitely worth reading though. There is very little overlap between it and the previous books, so it doesn't feel redundant like Dragonmark did.

message 26: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Chase-Coakley | 20 comments I'm really not in love with Pheobe. I appreciate hearing this part of the story from her point of view. But I still like Cassandra better. she was after all just trying to protect Wulf. Both women had the same worrying But neither could manage to understand the other.

message 27: by Malachaibubble12 (new)

Malachaibubble12 | 555 comments Marie wrote: "Mmmh, I need to reread that part because I thought [spoilers removed]

I was also thinking that Rezar was somehow linked to Rubati which is what brought about his breakdown. I was thinking that Rub..."

Your comment reminded me of this small scene in Illusion with Alternate Universe Savitar and Nick:

*Although it is an alternate Savitar and universe that he's in, I don't think Sherri would put this in the CoN books if it didn't pertain to the DH series given what Sav is talking about.*

Savitar rubbed at his chin. "To answer your earlier question, kid, all I can do is fight with you to the end."

There was an odd note in Savitar's tone that made Nick curious. "Why are you so willing to bleed for me?"

Savitar refused to meet his gaze. "Because what was done to your line was wrong."

Again, that note ... Savitar knew a lot more about Nick's ancestors than he was willing to freely admit. "Were you there?"

Savitar shook his head. "Long time before I was born. But I know what it's like to lose everything you love and not be able to stop it. To see the one thing you love most be cursed over blind stupidity and fear. And it's an awful place to live." He shifted his gaze to Bubba. "I'll lead as many away as I can."

message 28: by Marie (new) - added it

Marie | 1447 comments Yeah, Savitar's book is sure to be totally insane

message 29: by Malachaibubble12 (new)

Malachaibubble12 | 555 comments I think in this context the one thing that Sav loves most is implied to be Apollymi. And or Monakribos.

I think Sav is Kissare reincarnated. He could have mean't that his incarnation as Savitarius wasn't born yet. He wasn't there as Kissare either to see Monakribos cursed because he was sentenced to death and was dead already.

message 30: by Marie (last edited Aug 31, 2018 03:08PM) (new) - added it

Marie | 1447 comments Savitarius? 0.o Is that his name?

I'm also trying to think of other cursed beings Sav could be talking about...and the first, obvious answer is that he's referring to Ash

message 31: by Malachaibubble12 (new)

Malachaibubble12 | 555 comments Marie wrote: "Savitarius? 0.o Is that his name?

I'm also trying to think of other cursed beings Sav could be talking about...and the first, obvious answer is that he's referring to Ash"

Yeah, his name is on the SK website.

message 32: by Marie (new) - added it

Marie | 1447 comments I never even noticed! :O

Valerie | 26 comments Bren wrote: "According to B&N the bonus scene is Urian and his mother, so there is that. Anyway, I'm a bit curious about the three different endings the book has, and the clues SK wrote in some books about Sav ..."

So at the end of the audible version there is a bonus scene with Hellen. It was mainly just her thinking about Stryker and how his temperament is going to come back and bite him one day. And how she was going to miss her kids. Was that in the print versions as well?

Devaughn Johnson | 29 comments The brother theory makes sense look at how he reacted when Ash confronted him about the truth Styxx's life, maybe he's reminded of how he screwed his brother twice. Why Braith tolerates him and why he's so devoted to Acheron

message 35: by Marie (last edited Sep 01, 2018 12:54PM) (new) - added it

Marie | 1447 comments I am incredibly curious about what it means that (view spoiler) It's the first mention of him and we found out he's the one who tattled on Braith and Kissare. Remember in CON when Acheron said Kissare was a sephiroth demigod? Something tell me that god-parent had MAJOR pull with the Primals (or was one) and that, more than anything else, might be why (view spoiler)

message 36: by Charlotte, Cheesy Cakes (last edited Sep 01, 2018 01:34PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charlotte (charkro) | 1798 comments Bren wrote: "SK said next book would be Shadow's."

Actually, there's been a change. Shadow's book has been delayed in favor of Xander's. To which I say it's about damn time, too.

(Xander was originally supposed to get his book shortly after Nick went Dark-Hunter. Wren got his book instead.)

message 37: by Marie (new) - added it

Marie | 1447 comments Charlotte wrote: "Bren wrote: "SK said next book would be Shadow's."

Actually, there's been a change. Shadow's book has been delayed in favor of Xander's. To which I say it's about damn time, too.

(Xander was orig..."

I'm semi bummed about that because I was really intrigued by Shadow who has been popping up all over the recent books. But I'm also really hyped at the news that we'll see Brynna all grown up.

message 38: by Bren (last edited Sep 01, 2018 02:52PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bren (brencl94) | 418 comments Charlotte wrote: "Bren wrote: "SK said next book would be Shadow's."

(Xander was orig..."

Is it Queen of all Shadows? Cause that's the name of the next book according to Carl. And Shadow's book is called Shadows Whitin which does come after the next one.

message 39: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Chase-Coakley | 20 comments OK just finished the book. Anyone else have mixed feelings about this story? on the one hand the story itself was pretty good. There were however quite a few rehashed stories included that I really wished had been changed so that they were viewed exclusively from Urian's POV. That being said it still feels like there was something missing. Anyone else feel that way too? Maybe I'm just over reacting.

message 40: by Bren (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bren (brencl94) | 418 comments Nikki wrote: "OK just finished the book. Anyone else have mixed feelings about this story? on the one hand the story itself was pretty good. There were however quite a few rehashed stories included that I really..."

I LOVED the first two thirds of the book, Urian's past, but I hated that the last third was basically a C+P plus some random lines from Urian thrown in. And I felt like the ~big conflict was resolved too quickly, like in two chapters.

I wanted to see more of how Urian was adjusting to his new life with Beth and Styxx, and his relationship with baby Ari.

Natasha | 7 comments The bonus scene in the walmart edition of the book is Xins POV about when Falcyn freed her from Apollimi.

message 42: by Marie (new) - added it

Marie | 1447 comments Oh man, I really want to read that

message 43: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Chase-Coakley | 20 comments Natasha wrote: "The bonus scene in the walmart edition of the book is Xins POV about when Falcyn freed her from Apollimi."

The audio version included a bonus scene about Pheobe but it really didn't reveal anything remarkable. Usually the extra scenes include something that makes me really excited about the next book. But I wasn't as excited this time. I guess as hard as this is to admit i think I'm ready for all of this to finally come to an explosive end. If i'm really being honest I might have been ready since Time Untime.

Andie K. (andie88) | 4 comments Nikki wrote: "OK just finished the book. Anyone else have mixed feelings about this story? on the one hand the story itself was pretty good. There were however quite a few rehashed stories included that I really..."

I agree. I LOVED the first part, even the scenes with him and Styxx, but after that, not so much.

message 45: by Charlotte, Cheesy Cakes (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charlotte (charkro) | 1798 comments This is a Public Service Announcement ....

Spoiler tag requirement has been lifted. ;)

message 46: by Charlotte, Cheesy Cakes (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charlotte (charkro) | 1798 comments So I finally finished the book yesterday. =)

And apparently I'm the only weirdo here, who loved the entire book (yes, even the latter part). =(
Meh, to each their own.

So, to answer my own question at the start of this thread ...
I wasn't surprised at all that Urian's heroine turned out to Sarraxyn. Sad to say, but I truly feel that she was the better match for him. What did surprise me, though, was how long Urian had known Xyn (and where they met, for that matter).

I was also surprised at how many times he'd been married, and that does put a little perspective on why he was so reluctant to move on after Phoebe's "death".

And speaking of Phoebe ... hate to say it, but after reading this book, I can't say that theirs was truly a great love match. If anything, I feel like they married for the wrong reasons. I'm inclined to agree with Delilah, that Phoebe was a spoiled brat who fell for the bad boy.

One aspect I did like about the book, was the glimpse into Apollite/Daimon culture.

I'd like to throw out another question to think about, here:
What were your thoughts on Daimons, before reading this book? Did this book change your opinion?

message 47: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Chase-Coakley | 20 comments I didn't necessarily hate the Daimons after reading Stryker's story. That gave me a better look at the Daimon/ Apollite life and backstory before this book. I did like the fact that Stryker finally made peace with at least some of Ash's crew. It gives me hope that they will finally bury the hatchet too and finally get down to the business of killing the beings that really need killing.

message 48: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Chase-Coakley | 20 comments Also after this book I have to wonder if Acheron's brother really is dead. They never really seem to be in this series. And if that's true who is he?

message 49: by Bren (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bren (brencl94) | 418 comments Who? Monakribos? If so, yeah, he is dead.

message 50: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (darkone13) | 17 comments Did anyone else think this was odd, when they are rescue Tory and Urian sees Nick he thinks, "there was somehting you didn't see every day. A Malachai..." (kindle 62%, 8065) Aren't Nick's powers still hidden at this point? War attacks Nick and unlocks them before Ash and Tory's wedding, but after this scene. How Urian know what Nick is?
Also, the scene with Apollo and Morgen in Dragonsworn, it says "four sons for Apollymi" (kindle 55%). That seems like Morgen's thoughts. In Stygian it says "fives sons for Apollymi" (kindle 86%). This also seems like its Morgen's thoughts. Are they mistakes or intentional inconsistencies?

« previous 1 3