Play Book Tag discussion

August 2018: Espionage > The Blackstone Key-August Decathalon 3.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanne (last edited Aug 26, 2018 09:44AM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8431 comments The Blackstone Key 3.5 stars

In a month with a serious tag this was such a fun read!

In the year 1795, in the city of Cambridge, on a gloomy October morning Mary Finch walks into the Eagle, a public house to purchase a coach ticket. Mary is a school teacher at the nearby St Ives and she has received a letter, much delayed, from a relation she has never met, asking her to come to his home in Sulfolk.

Mary's life is dull and this is the adventure she has day dreamed about. So off she goes, never expecting to become entwined in the intrigue and espionage of the current war with France.

Rose Melikan tells a wonderful tale, at times a bit long winded, but paints a lovely picture of life in the 18th century. The entire time I spent reading this I kept trying to cast the characters into a 1940's B movie that you would watch with delight because it was so ridiculous.

Thank you for the reccomendation Kate, this was just what I need to keep my mind off the current state of life

message 2: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2671 comments I’m so glad you liked it, Joanne, and what a spot-on review! I’ve read the second one too (The Mistaken Wife) and enjoyed it just as much. Delightfully ridiculous.

Her sense of place and time is unusually good - not Georgette Heyer but she gets closer than most.