Next Big Idea Club discussion

The challenges of running a big idea book club

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ceil (new)

Ceil | 4 comments I'm so impressed with the Summer box - Uncensored and Never Stop Learning - that I had to post to share my relief. Particularly for book groups that are more business-focused, it's close to impossible to find content that hasn't been written to death for years. The previous box was a great example of interesting new ways of thinking about pretty tired ideas. But that's part of the fun, right? We get to see what the (admittedly great) thinkers in charge of selection value, and that alone is thought-provoking.

Anyway, more like this one! These 2 and Culture Code (the first shipment?) are the standouts this year.

message 2: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy Price | 1 comments Mod
Hi Ceil! This is Jeremy from the Next Big Idea Club. I'm so glad you're enjoying the Summer Box -- Uncensored wasn't a traditional choice for us, but we agree that it's a fresh, new take on a timely issue. What types of books in particular would you like to see in the future?

message 3: by Josephine (new)

Josephine (jelia) | 1 comments Also enjoyed the Summer Box! I'd like to see more selections where the ideas intersect with social issues a la New Power and Uncensored.

message 4: by Ceil (new)

Ceil | 4 comments Enjoying Farsighted: How We Make the Decisions that Matter Most - good insights as well as a solid survey of decision making theory of the past decade or so.

So far I found particularly useful the discussion of the challenges of decision making in heterogeneous (i.e., diverse) groups. It's much easier to make decisions in teams of non-diverse people (hey, we share a world view, language, background, experience - decision making is like a rocket ship!).

So the more data we can collect about the better results diverse groups achieve, the better we'll be able to get past a big source of resistance to diversity.

What do others think?

message 5: by Ceil (new)

Ceil | 4 comments @Mark, the day I realized God will not strike me dead if I just stop reading a book that's not doing it for me was a very good day. Just a thought.

message 6: by Ceil (new)

Ceil | 4 comments Less plowing, more insight!