Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Overflowing Bookshelf Challenge > Hailee's Bookshelf is Quite Literally Overflowing

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Hailee (last edited Aug 26, 2018 08:40AM) (new)

Hailee | 2612 comments My TBR shelf isn't quite as up to date as it should be but there are over 300 books on it.

My owned TBR shelf:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

I want to read at least another 15 books from my shelves. I will be including sequels to series I have already started or committed to starting in the remaining 4 months of the year.

message 3: by Hailee (new)

Hailee | 2612 comments Reserved

message 4: by Hailee (new)

message 5: by Hailee (new)

message 6: by Hailee (new)

message 7: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5048 comments Reserved

message 8: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7859 comments Reserved

message 9: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7859 comments Hehe. I'm a copycat.

Good luck from me too! I love the overflowing challenge, hope it helps you :)

message 10: by Anni (last edited Aug 26, 2018 07:47AM) (new)

Anni | 5048 comments I removed my second comment, so Siobhan's is in place 😂

So here again:
Good luck with your challenge, I'm looking forward to see which books are on that shelf :)

message 11: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7859 comments Aww aren't you a sweetheart! 😘

message 12: by Hailee (new)

Hailee | 2612 comments Lol you two are both nuts. But that gave me a real laugh lol.

message 13: by Hailee (last edited Aug 26, 2018 08:44AM) (new)

Hailee | 2612 comments Sir Anni wrote: "I removed my second comment, so Siobhan's is in place 😂

So here again:
Good luck with your challenge, I'm looking forward to see which books are on that shelf :)"

Thanks. I've added in an ugly link (I'll make a prettier one when I have access to a computer rather than my phone) to my owned unread books shelf which is actually my 'want to read' shelf 😅

message 14: by Hailee (new)

Hailee | 2612 comments Siobhan wrote: "Hehe. I'm a copycat.

Good luck from me too! I love the overflowing challenge, hope it helps you :)"

Thanks me too. It'll help me keep track of what I'm reading off my shelves if nothing else.

message 15: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7859 comments Exactly! Have a peek at my challenge, it's my pride and joy! 😂 I keep a record of all my little wins, and love looking back to see how many owned books I've read since I started! XD

message 16: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments or you could also look at mine, recording all my massive failures ;p
Good luck with the challenge ! :) 15 books looks doable !

message 17: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5048 comments Better don't look at mine, because I'm too lazy to update mine regularly...

message 18: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5048 comments Hailee wrote: "Lol you two are both nuts. But that gave me a real laugh lol."

And that's why you like being around us, because you're a little nuts too 😜

message 19: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7859 comments So many books on your list that I own to read too. I see buddy read opportunities! 😆

message 20: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7859 comments Sir Anni wrote: "Better don't look at mine, because I'm too lazy to update mine regularly..."

HA! I was just going to go look as well.

Elinor wrote: "or you could also look at mine, recording all my massive failures ;p
Good luck with the challenge ! :) 15 books looks doable !"

Giant book hauls are not failures! Just minor setbacks...

message 21: by Hailee (new)

Hailee | 2612 comments Siobhan wrote: "Exactly! Have a peek at my challenge, it's my pride and joy! 😂 I keep a record of all my little wins, and love looking back to see how many owned books I've read since I started! XD"

Wow that tracker is something to be proud of!! Well done. I don't think I'll be that organised though!

message 22: by Hailee (last edited Aug 26, 2018 12:14PM) (new)

Hailee | 2612 comments Elinor wrote: "or you could also look at mine, recording all my massive failures ;p
Good luck with the challenge ! :) 15 books looks doable !"

Siobhan wrote: Giant book hauls are not failures! Just minor setbacks...

Yeah a minor setback that is setting you up for potential success when you read them all 😋

Don't worry Elinor. My failures in that regard would make you look like the model of restaint!!

message 23: by Hailee (new)

Hailee | 2612 comments Sir Anni wrote: "Better don't look at mine, because I'm too lazy to update mine regularly..."

I think my overflowing tracker will be exactly the same. Maybe we could bribe/blackmail Siobhan to do the updating for ours as well. I'm leaning towards blackmail... much cheaper 🤣

message 24: by Hailee (last edited Aug 26, 2018 12:12PM) (new)

Hailee | 2612 comments Sir Anni wrote: "Hailee wrote: "Lol you two are both nuts. But that gave me a real laugh lol."

And that's why you like being around us, because you're a little nuts too 😜"

True although I thought I hid my crazy a little bit bettwr than you two... obviously not lol 🙃

message 25: by Hailee (last edited Aug 26, 2018 12:15PM) (new)

Hailee | 2612 comments Siobhan wrote: "So many books on your list that I own to read too. I see buddy read opportunities! 😆"

I do h ave so many to choose from extra buddy reads are inevitable!! Just let me know if anything specific catches your eye 👁

message 26: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7859 comments Hailee wrote: "Sir Anni wrote: "Better don't look at mine, because I'm too lazy to update mine regularly..."

I think my overflowing tracker will be exactly the same. Maybe we could bribe/blackmail Siobhan to do ..."

I'm open to bribes! :p

Not sure about the blackmail though, what you got on me?! 😂

message 27: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7859 comments Hailee wrote: "Sir Anni wrote: "Hailee wrote: "Lol you two are both nuts. But that gave me a real laugh lol."

True although I thought..."

I don't know whether to be flattered or offended... 😂

message 28: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5048 comments Siobhan wrote: "Hailee wrote: "Sir Anni wrote: "Hailee wrote: "Lol you two are both nuts. But that gave me a real laugh lol."

True alt..."

Flattered of course! It's always better to be flattered than offended, don't you think so?

message 29: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5048 comments Siobhan wrote: "Hailee wrote: "Sir Anni wrote: "Better don't look at mine, because I'm too lazy to update mine regularly..."

I think my overflowing tracker will be exactly the same. Maybe we could bribe/blackmail..."

Hmmm... We could clutter your beautiful challenge thread with stupid messages 😜

message 30: by Anni (last edited Aug 26, 2018 01:12PM) (new)

Anni | 5048 comments Hailee wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "So many books on your list that I own to read too. I see buddy read opportunities! 😆"

I do h ave so many to choose from extra buddy reads are inevitable!! Just let me know if anyth..."

Found some 😜 I also want to read these:

All the Crooked Saints by Maggie Stiefvater Traitor's Blade (Greatcoats, #1) by Sebastien de Castell God of Vengeance (The Rise of Sigurd, #1) by Giles Kristian The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1) by Becky Chambers
And I might reread The Pillars of the Earth :)

Oh and make sure to read Assassin's Apprentice before Ship of Magic!

The Ninth Rain (The Winnowing Flame Trilogy #1) by Jen Williams The Red Knight (The Traitor Son Cycle, #1) by Miles Cameron
Are Books I considered to buy too, so I might read them too someday, but didn't own them yet!

message 31: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7859 comments Sir Anni wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "Hailee wrote: "Sir Anni wrote: "Better don't look at mine, because I'm too lazy to update mine regularly..."

I think my overflowing tracker will be exactly the same. Maybe we could..."

Oh no! 😱 Anything but that! 😂

message 32: by Siobhan (last edited Aug 26, 2018 01:20PM) (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7859 comments Firstly, I can't believe you own the Dragonmaster trilogy and didn't join Laura and I for the buddy reads! We're supposed to be reading the last one now.

Secondly, these are some of the ones I want to read:

Traitor's Blade (Greatcoats, #1) by Sebastien de Castell Stardust by Neil Gaiman The Ninth Rain (The Winnowing Flame Trilogy #1) by Jen Williams Sleeping Giants (Themis Files, #1) by Sylvain Neuvel Flame in the Mist (Flame in the Mist, #1) by Renee Ahdieh
And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga #1) by Kiersten White Nevernight (The Nevernight Chronicle, #1) by Jay Kristoff Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky The Clan of the Cave Bear (Earth's Children, #1) by Jean M. Auel

And Assassin's Apprentice :)

message 33: by Hailee (last edited Aug 26, 2018 03:08PM) (new)

Hailee | 2612 comments Siobhan wrote: "Firstly, I can't believe you own the Dragonmaster trilogy and didn't join Laura and I for the buddy reads! We're supposed to be reading the last one now.

Secondly, these are some of the ones I wan..."

Man yeah I've owned the Dragonmaster trilogy for what must be over a decade!!! In my defence I don't think I was part of the group when you read the first book and then I was committed to other buddy reads and didn't really have the time to catch up for the others. That's my excuse anyway 😋. Are you enjoying the trilogy? I've heard really bad things and have almost unhauled it several times. The only thing that has saved is well... dragons!

Yeah well obviously I want to read all of the books on my shelf but you've identified some really good ones.

We could try and organise something for Traitor's Blade since both you and Anni have picked this out, plus it has the benefit of being a completed series (all available in paperback).

I also really want to read And I Darken now the trilogy is completed.

The The Ninth Rain has been staring at me for ages because I adored the Copper Cat trilogy, the only reason I haven't read it yet was because I was debating waiting until the trilogy is complete but I'm not sure I can wait that long!!!!

And don't get me started on Robin Hobb's books I NEED to get started on them ASAP I haven't goven up on the idea of reading Assassin's Apprentice sometime this year!

Yeah basically I need tp read all the books lol.

message 34: by Hailee (last edited Aug 26, 2018 03:02PM) (new)

Hailee | 2612 comments Sir Anni wrote: "Hailee wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "So many books on your list that I own to read too. I see buddy read opportunities! 😆"

I do h ave so many to choose from extra buddy reads are inevitable!! Just let m..."

Anni as I mentioned to Siobhan we should definately plan something for Traitor's Blade!

All the Crooked Saints is quite short so could fit that in anytime.

I'm also really eager to start the The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet trilogy

message 35: by Hailee (last edited Aug 26, 2018 03:42PM) (new)

Hailee | 2612 comments Siobhan wrote: "Sir Anni wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "Hailee wrote: "Sir Anni wrote: "Better don't look at mine, because I'm too lazy to update mine regularly..."

I think my overflowing tracker will be exactly the sam..."

Oh no! 😱 Anything but that! 😂 

Haha it was the sticking point that I didn't yet have anything to blackmail you with but I guess plain old threats work as well haha!

message 36: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7859 comments Hailee wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "Sir Anni wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "Hailee wrote: "Sir Anni wrote: "Better don't look at mine, because I'm too lazy to update mine regularly..."

I think my overflowing tracker will be..."

Hahaha 😂

And that's a pretty solid excuse for not joining Dragonmaster! 😅

It's definitely not the best thing I've ever read, but I am enjoying it, yeah! I don't think it deserves quite as much hate as it seems to get. Probably the main downside is that it is basically a military history book featuring dragons, instead of a dragon book featuring military history. War is definitely the focus of the story. Another thing is that it seems a lot more dated than it should. I assumed it was published in the 80s or 90s, but when I checked it was like 2005. It just feels old. But maybe the guy who wrote it was old, I believe he has since passed away.

I notice you have the same omnibus edition as me. Each book is really short. I would say try the first one and if it's not for you then unhaul it. Although, book 2 is slightly better for dragon involvement!

message 37: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments I'm in for Traitor's Blade ! October ? (I've heard Someone has a little problem with their September BR...)

And thanks for supporting me in my failures little setbacks... and I'm eager to see yours Hailee to feel even better ! ;p (now if it's not a good encouragement, I don't know what is)

message 38: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5048 comments Some weeks ago I talked with Virginie and Iain about reading the book as weekly read and than we descited to read Bookburners 2 first, but maybe they are interested still :)

Also Bea and Laura Tenfingers (Which is an amazing name change by the way 😂) haven't rewd it yet, so maybe the join too?

And we have to bribe/blackmail Zaara 😂

message 39: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7859 comments Elinor wrote: "I'm in for Traitor's Blade ! October ? (I've heard Someone has a little problem with their September BR...)

And thanks for supporting me in my failures little setbacks... and I'm e..."

I'm getting a reputation... 🙈

message 40: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7859 comments Sir Anni wrote: "Some weeks ago I talked with Virginie and Iain about reading the book as weekly read and than we descited to read Bookburners 2 first, but maybe they are interested still :)

Also Bea and Laura Ten..."

Tenfingers!! Nice.

Sounds like we have a great group going then! :D

message 41: by Hailee (last edited Aug 29, 2018 09:20AM) (new)

Hailee | 2612 comments Hey sorry I haven't replied on this thread earlier. I've had a couple of days where I was browsing goodreads but being too lazy to respond lol. Anybody get that; where its just too much work to get the thoughts in your head into coherent sentences so you just don't bother... or is that just me ;-)

Sounds like we definitely could have a great group interested in Traitor's Blade. October works for me if it does for others. Maybe sometime around the 22nd?

message 42: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments Hailee wrote: "Anybody get that; where its just too much work to get the thoughts in your head into coherent sentences so you just don't bother."

+1 definitly !

So we are reading it a few chapters a week, right ?

message 43: by Hailee (last edited Aug 29, 2018 03:59PM) (new)

Hailee | 2612 comments Elinor wrote: "So we are reading it a few chapters a week, right ?"

We can definitely read it that way if the majority want to (I know that way doesn't work for everyone)

Anni you are the scheduling queen. Are you planning to join the buddy read? And if so do you want to whip up an (optional) reading schedule for us?

message 44: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5048 comments I think I'm able to make it in October, especially when we're doing it slow ;)

I will take a look at my copy and work out a nice schedule ;)

message 45: by Laura Tenfingers (new)

Laura Tenfingers | 1125 comments If you make me @Anni...🤣 I'll join you for Traitor's Blade 😁 AND start a buddy read tracker too😊

message 46: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5048 comments Laura Tenfingers wrote: "If you make me @Anni...🤣 I'll join you for Traitor's Blade 😁 AND start a buddy read tracker too😊"

Hooray! :)

message 47: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5048 comments Hailee wrote: "Anybody get that; where its just too much work to get the thoughts in your head into coherent sentences so you just don't bother."

And hell yes, that happen to me way too often 😂

message 48: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2052 comments Hi! I have been forced asked by Anni to join you for Traitor's Blade ;) October should work for me.

message 49: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5048 comments Any preferences for when to start in October? I will request a thread then :)

message 50: by Laura Tenfingers (new)

Laura Tenfingers | 1125 comments Could we do the 8th?

« previous 1