Support for Indie Authors discussion

Marketing Tactics > Transferring GoodReads Reviews to Amazon

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by James (new)

James Whyle (jameswhyle) | 6 comments My little novella, The Excavations, has had a good response on Goodreads. It has 3 five star reviews on Amazon.co.uk. On Amazon.com, one 1 star review. This severely limits the marketing sites I have access to.

But I believe it would be breaking rules, and risking banishment, to ask GoodReads members, who have already given the book five stars on this site, to do the same on Amazon?

Given that Amazon owns GoodReads, it seems a pity that it pays GoodReads rankings so little attention?

message 2: by Rosalind (new)

Rosalind Morris | 5 comments You can ask people to post their reviews in both places. That’s okay. People in the UK cannot post on Amazon.com though. So for the ones that are on Amazon.co.uk, they can’t be added.

message 3: by James (new)

James Whyle (jameswhyle) | 6 comments Thank you so much, Rosiland.

message 4: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4356 comments Mod
Yes, Amazon owns Goodreads, but they are actually very different animals. Goodreads is for readers to discuss books and recommend them to one another, so they criteria for reviewing is a bit more lax. Your Uncle Bernie is free to write whatever he wants about your book here, but it won't fly on Amazon. You can even review your own book here. Amazon takes reviews seriously for their own site. Goodreads, not so much.

As for contacting your readers? There are some readers here on Goodreads that do not take kindly to authors contacting them, for any reason. I do not know what the chances are of running into one, but I know they exist. I've seen plenty of threads about it on less Indie-friendly forums. So, contact if you must, but be aware you may not always get a kind response.

message 5: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Habbie | 4 comments Darn! There goes my master plan🤩

message 6: by Kaylee (new)

Kaylee Dolat | 91 comments A lot of people don't like an author contacting them unless it's giveaway or prize information here. They have too many books, too little time, and don't like to feel "solicited" on a website like this. I would say just write a reminder on your fan pages that Indie authors rely on your support. So share, love, review wherever you can.

I think that's the best way to do it. I seem to get more responses when I post something like that on my Facebook page.

message 7: by James (new)

James Whyle (jameswhyle) | 6 comments A further little question: can anyone explain the delay between the notification: "Hey, you have some reviews! " And an actual review appearing?

Thank you, and god bless us all, each and every one.

message 8: by Tomas, Wandering dreamer (new)

Tomas Grizzly | 731 comments Mod
If it's about Amazon reviews, they go through some kind of internal reviewing (possibly automated) after the user submits them. Maybe that might be the case?

If it's about GR, then I can only speculate. Maybe the notification appears when someone rates your book (which I can do with one tap from my Kindle) but they only write the review later (in my case, when I am on my PC because I just can't stand touchscreen for anything more than one sentence). If I finish reading a book in the evening of one day (which is when the rating appears) but don't go back on the computer, then I write the review the other day.

message 9: by James (new)

James Whyle (jameswhyle) | 6 comments Thank you. It is about GoodReads. But it applies to star ratings and actual reviews. There's a notification, and then later (weeks) a review or rating ...

message 10: by Tomas, Wandering dreamer (new)

Tomas Grizzly | 731 comments Mod
Since I am not published yet, I can only make guesses. Let's hope someone else knows.

message 11: by Brian (new)

Brian Keller | 13 comments As I understand it, you may cut-and-paste Goodreads reviews into the Editorial Reviews portion of the web page for book you're selling through Amazon. If your only intent is to increase your numbers of reviews, it won't count as a "starred" review. If your intent is to present some unsolicited insight/opinions to prospective readers, then this might be a way to accomplish that.

message 12: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Jesinghaus (jessjesinghhaus) | 78 comments I’m with Tomas o the GR review delay... I’m notorious for giving a book a star rating on Goodreads, placing it in my “need to write review” shelf, and then coming back to it days (lets be honest... weeks / months) later to write a full review and post it out to my blog, Amazon, etc. The delay has never bothered me much since I’m one of the perpetuating culprits.

message 13: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 552 comments James wrote: "A further little question: can anyone explain the delay between the notification: "Hey, you have some reviews! " And an actual review appearing?

Thank you, and god bless us all, each and every one."

I'm been with Goodreads for some years and I know just how you feel, James. It is to teach us patience :)

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm with Anna. The paper from my latest fortune cookie (that's now taped to my fridge) says, "Right now, you must be patient." I figured I'll just keep it there forever. It won't ever not apply...