Dangerous Hero Addict Support Group discussion

Random Topics/Off-Topic > What do you feel about immature heroes in romance?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 402 comments I have just read a romance book with an immature hero. It really began to ruin the story for me because whilst he may be a guy who is edgy, a player and a bit dangerous... his immaturity took away from the intensity of his character. He just became intensely annoying!

So, what are your views on immature heroes? Can they be successful? Have you read a good immature hero?

message 2: by RNDK (new)

RNDK Unless he experiences a sudden growth spurt, I really dislike immature characters and would try to finish the book in hope that the experiences in the book would mature him, if not I’ll discard and find something else to read quickly so that I can clear my memory of him. Ditto for females too, I just can’t stand the whining and the me, me, me attitude. Just grow up. Of course age is not an indication of immaturity. There a many young adult books out there that I can read just fine and I’m in my forties.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 95 comments I think it can work out if they grow and learn. However, most of the time I feel like they don't and it seems like it's the woman who has to compromise.

message 4: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 702 comments Shera (Book Whispers) wrote: "I think it can work out if they grow and learn. However, most of the time I feel like they don't and it seems like it's the woman who has to compromise."

So true. lol

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

If there is no character growth then he shouldn't of existed in the story in the first place. However, if a hero is immature in a romance book the I hope to all book lovers out there that the hero was made the way he was.

message 6: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Loves 'Em Lethal (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 9737 comments Mod
I'm too old to be tolerant of man-babies. I'm in my forties and I like grown men who act like it. It's one thing if I'm reading YA or children's books, but if I'm reading an adult age book, I want a hero who acts his age.

I agree that character growth is good, and I'm open to flaws, but immaturity isn't something I'm that tolerant of.

Great discussion question, Natalie.