We Read Stuff discussion

Wonder Woman: The Golden Age Omnibus, Volume 1
This topic is about Wonder Woman
Books of the Month 2018 > Wonder Woman: The Golden Age Omnibus, Volume 1 - September 2018

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Discussion thread for Wonder Woman: The Golden Age Omnibus, Volume 1.

"Wonder Woman, arguably the best-known female superhero in the world, and star of her own monthly comics, was introduced in the early 1940s in these quirky tales written by the inventor of the lie detector, psychologist William Moulton Marston. In these stories, Wonder Woman travels from Paradise Island to Man's World, where she serves as an emissary of peace, using her bracelets and lasso of truth to stop injustice. These stories introduce the mythology of Wonder Woman as she battles the powers of evil--from crooked business owners to Nazi spies.

Collects ALL STAR COMICS #8, SENSATION COMICS #1-24 and WONDER WOMAN #1-7.

message 2: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian (setaian) I think Marston is quite an interesting person. He lived in an open relationship in the 1940s and 1950s. Both he and his wife had other sexual partners. He comes across as a feminist in what I've read about him, but that's not always easy to tell.

These comics might feel quite dated if you're used to the flashy colourful comics of today. But I think it's worth looking for those moments that influence the lore of today.

message 3: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian (setaian) I'm not really sure if this is a thing, but from my perspective the superhero genre tends to have hyper-villains. With Wonder Woman even the bad guys are often not so bad. It's a little less black and white. But I'm not entirely sure on this...it's just a random thought.