Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Alloy of Law (Mistborn, #4)
This topic is about The Alloy of Law
Sanderson - All the Things > The Alloy of Law [Jan 10, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 70 (70 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3603 comments Mod
Buddy read starts 10th January.

Gazi Nuzhat | 21 comments I'm in

Brittany | 150 comments I'm going to try to join this one. May have committed for January though.

Lits I'm in. This will be my first buddy read! So excited!

Chris  (haughtc) | 1769 comments I'm in. It'll be a reread, but I'm doing it on audio so I can review before jumping into the other two.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments I'm in. I might want to reread Mistborn Era 1 first so I might be a little late to this one.

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Laetitia wrote: "I'm in. This will be my first buddy read! So excited!"

This series was my first buddy read in the group too :)

Gazi Nuzhat | 21 comments I just finished era 1 and ordered the era 2 books. Hopefully I’ll get them before 10th 🤞🏽

Elinor | 1548 comments I think I will join... I tried the June BR for it and failed. I may start over again and this time, I hope, finish it !

Chris  (haughtc) | 1769 comments Started the audio last night. Listened while doing laundry today and got to the 42% mark.

Chris  (haughtc) | 1769 comments Wayne liked your update for The Alloy of Law (Mistborn, #4)
New30 minutes ago
4 others previously liked it

Well, of course he did. I hope Wax likes it too ;)

Elinor | 1548 comments XD

message 13: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 5346 comments I got the audio. I'm not a fan of Michael Kramer's narration but I think I will just deal and listen. Audio is only 10hrs. If I can, I'll probably switch to print & read.

Good start. Mystery-Western setting and then back to civilization. =)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments I have to bow out of this reread. I'm swamped. I'll probably save the reread and wait a little closer until the release of the last Era 2 book.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Man! I will have to put this one out because I only finished the first book in Mistborn, so I have a lot of catching up to do

Brittany | 150 comments I don't think I am going to get a chance to join in. Hope its wonderful though! I'll read it later on.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Just started this and finished the prologue. It was excellent, Sanderson knows how to start with a bang. I also love how the places are named for characters in era 1. It gives me a thrill when I see them in the maps or read them in the book. It's a really nice touch I think.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments 76 pages in, genuinely hooked! It's odd, it doesn't feel like Mistborn yet I'm enjoying it all the same. It doesn't feel like fantasy, yet it does! I can't explain how it makes me feel but im really enjoying it.

I've met Wayne now and he's fantastic!

message 19: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel | 1478 comments Laetitia this should be a fun one for your first buddy read!

I may lurk to see what everyone thinks, but I think I'm in the same camp as Diana, and will wait until closer to the release of the last era 2 book to reread.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments About 130 pages in, seriously exciting stuff! (view spoiler)

Elinor | 1548 comments Melissa wrote: "Laetitia this should be a fun one for your first buddy read!"

Agreed, Brandon Sanderson's BR are often the best ^^

Charlie wrote: "76 pages in, genuinely hooked! It's odd, it doesn't feel like Mistborn yet I'm enjoying it all the same. It doesn't feel like fantasy, yet it does! I can't explain how it makes me feel but im reall..."

Agreed on that too ^^
I'm really liking how the world evolved, the magic system, the religions (the Path is a very interesting religion)...

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Elinor Master of Gifs wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Laetitia this should be a fun one for your first buddy read!"

Agreed, Brandon Sanderson's BR are often the best ^^

Charlie wrote: "76 pages in, genuinely hooked! It's odd, it does..."

The magic has definitely evolved in a super cool way, I'm wondering if people still practice Hemalurgy in this world. At the beginning when Wax (view spoiler)

I'm really interested in the Path and I love that (view spoiler)

message 23: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel | 1478 comments It's certainly interesting to see how the world has changed, but how echos of the past are still present. I love series like this with different eras, because these little easter eggs feel like crossover references... even within the same world.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Melissa wrote: "It's certainly interesting to see how the world has changed, but how echos of the past are still present. I love series like this with different eras, because these little easter eggs feel like cro..."

I get a nice little jolt when they mentioned a place named after one of the original characters.

message 25: by jess (new) - rated it 4 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1723 comments Im still wanting to get to this! Im wrapping up my huge Malazan book, then I think I can read this along with another BR.

Ill let you know when I begin!

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments I hope you join us Jess, I'm finding this a really fun read so far.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments 128 pages in, just finished chapter 6. (view spoiler)

message 28: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 5346 comments Audio Ch8: I'm enjoying the story and Wax & Wayne are great.

Anyone else getting the urge to re-read Mistborn due to them talking about (view spoiler)?

message 29: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 5346 comments Is there a BR planned for the next book, Shadows of Self?

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Glad you're enjoying it! I am too. Yeah, the BR is on 10th Feb.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments I recently reread Mistborn a few months ago but everything about this book so far is giving me loads of nostalgic vibes.

message 32: by jess (new) - rated it 4 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1723 comments Yea its been just over a year since I read Hero of Ages. So Im hoping it comes back to me when I start this! Right now it is my “tub” book. I have Crown of Stars to read whenever but Alloy of Law when Im soaking in the tub. So I wont read very fast for a lil while! 😳

message 33: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel | 1478 comments Soo wrote: "Is there a BR planned for the next book, Shadows of Self?"

Yep! Shadows of Self is for February 10th, and Bands of Mourning on March 10th.

message 34: by Soo (last edited Jan 18, 2019 08:13PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 5346 comments Got it!

I am not a fan of the narrator but it sounded fine at 2x speed. Haha

I loved the allomancy parts and liked how Sanderson put a thread of humor in with Wayne. The case was a nice tool to show different layers of the world and characters.

Anyone else feel like Wax & Wayne were named as such as a joke of some kind?

Also, I kinda want Wax to be happy and (view spoiler)

Response to the Path religion? The way it's described is a lot like Taoism & I Ching.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments @Soo I think their names must be a play on the moon though I haven't found any moon references in the book so far.

I'm 110 pages in, Wax has just figured out that (view spoiler)

message 36: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 5346 comments Ha! Wax and Wayne! Gahhhh-- I can totally see that now. Wouldn't it be funny if they're names for beloved pets?

*might be dying of laughter*

Chris  (haughtc) | 1769 comments Its no worse than Push and Pull

message 38: by Lits (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lits I always love the "swears" in Sanderson's books. Rust and Ruin!
And in this case, it plays into the 1st era as well.
The simple, subtle humor is fantastic as always.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments I love the swears too! I'm always weary of language in fantasy worlds as a lot of it can be cringey but Sanderson does it so well.

message 40: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel | 1478 comments Oh yes, I love that aspect of his writing too! I love inventive language in fantasy in general. Conversely, it always takes me out of a story when they drop an f-bomb in a high-fantasy setting. Totally ruins it for me.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments It does for me too! I like words that fit better with the world so much better. In the Red Rising trilogy they use bloody damn and gory damn and I really like those.

Elinor | 1548 comments +1 on the swearing ! it adds so much more. If you want some creative one, you defenitly need to check out The Thief Who Pulled on Trouble's Braids ^^ (plus it's a really really really good book , and it's short and really cheap as an e-book, so really, that's the deal)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments That looks really cool Elinor!

message 44: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel | 1478 comments Ooh! You've sold me on it. I'll check it out and read a sample at least. :)

Elinor | 1548 comments yeaaah this is so good I hope you both like it whenever you check it out :)

message 46: by jess (new) - rated it 4 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1723 comments Finally concentating on this one! Yay for Allomancy!

Elinor | 1548 comments I have a few things to comment on from last night reading session (I took notes so that I don't forget what I wanted to say ;p) :
Chapter 8 : I loved (view spoiler)
Chapter 9 : (view spoiler)
And a more general thought : I love the humour in banter in this one.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments @Elinor I read those chapters last night too- (view spoiler)

message 49: by jess (new) - rated it 4 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1723 comments In Ch 1, Wax takes to the mists and climbs the tower. Why is he so excited that he gets to use his Allomancy in the mists? Just bc the mists kind of “dance” as he flies? Am I forgetting something about them?

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments I think he finds them comforting. Also, in the original trilogy the mists were useful as they allowed you to get by unseen from the citizens below. I'm guessing Wax enjoys the anonymity the mists bring. He can pretty much go wherever he wants in the city and no-one will no it's him if the mists are out.

« previous 1