Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Adding New Books & Editions > ISBN already in use for a nonexistent book

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Troy (new)

Troy | 3 comments I tried to add the hardcover edition of Ben Stein's "The Capitalist Code" (2017) and ended up having to add it without an ISBN. The book that ISBN is currently attached to on Goodreads doesn't exist. The given title is not a Stein book title and the photo is not of a Stein book showing that title. WorldCat has no record of such a Stein title, nor does Google or Amazon. Here is the ISBN in question: 978-1630060848. Apparently it takes a superlibrarian to delete it.

message 2: by René (new)

René (renegalindo1) | 2 comments Working on it

message 3: by René (new)

René (renegalindo1) | 2 comments I have deleted only the ISBN, but if you know better about the work of this author, please feel free to request the complete remotion of this title

message 4: by lethe (last edited Aug 26, 2018 01:44AM) (new)

lethe | 14871 comments The ISBN should not have been deleted just like that. Cases like these should be decided by staff, and they usually say there is no way of knowing the book does not exist. The book has ratings and reviews.

It may also be that this was a pre-publication title.

Also, ISBNs shouldn't be split. Now one book has the ISBN-10 and the other the ISBN-13.

This is the title in question: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45482 comments Mod
ISBNs should definitely not be be split, not should they be casually moved from one book to what seems to be a completely different one. (I would suggest that only very experienced librarians who are comfortable with the details of a librarian log do so, except in cases of a simple alternate-cover edition.) It does appear that the cover and title (which did not match on the edition that was here) changed a couple times pre-publication.

So the existing edition should have been edited, but that is no longer so simple. I am doing a merge instead, but it will take longer.

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

message 7: by lethe (new)

lethe | 14871 comments Thanks, rivka.