What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Young Adult fiction about an orphan boy who leaves his granny in the Ukraine to immigrate to his mean aunt and uncle

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ash (new)

Ash | 3 comments I read this book back in 1998 but I’m pretty sure it’s much older. The story revolves around a boy and I believe his name is Nikolai and he lives with his granny in I believe the Ukraine. His granny is old and wants a better life and so has saved gold for him that I think she ties in a handkerchief his granny is old and wants a better life and so has saved gold for him that I think she ties in a handkerchief And he still was away on a boat to immigrate from the Ukraine to where his aunt and uncle live. His uncle is mean to him and make him work all the time and his granny eventually joined himHis granny eventually joins him. Nikolai’s aunt is Granny’s daughter

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36605 comments Mod
Ash, what's the time period? Can you remember any political/social events or famous people mentioned?

message 3: by Ash (new)

Ash | 3 comments Hi Kris I’m having trouble remembering anything of that book. I do believe the time period was 1800s or early 1900s bc the young boy was given actual gold coins by his granny to purchase bread and train tickets. Also I think his aunt and uncle were in Canada and were trying to start a farm that I think had been given to them in exchange for settling there. Your help is appreciated.

message 4: by Ash (new)

Ash | 3 comments Bump