Play Book Tag discussion

In Farleigh Field
This topic is about In Farleigh Field
August 2018: Espionage > In Farleigh Field by Rhys Bowen 3+ stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Karin | 7468 comments From the Goodreads blurb World War II comes to Farleigh Place, the ancestral home of Lord Westerham and his five daughters, when a soldier with a failed parachute falls to his death on the estate. After his uniform and possessions raise suspicions, MI5 operative and family friend Ben Cresswell is covertly tasked with determining if the man is a German spy. The assignment also offers Ben the chance to be near Lord Westerham’s middle daughter, Pamela, whom he furtively loves. But Pamela has her own secret: she has taken a job at Bletchley Park, the British code-breaking facility.

A spy from MI5 and a code breaker, friends from childhood, aren't the only two involved in espionage, either officially or unofficially, in this book, but to say more would be to say too much. I enjoyed this more than Her Royal Spyness. The audiobook had some good things about it, including distinct voicing, but there were times when I felt like I was listening to a BBC news broadcast, particularly in the first third of the book. I liked it enough that I might someday listen to another of Bowen's standalone novels or I might try a series book that isn't Her Royal Spyness, which just wasn't my cup of tea.

Booknblues | 6864 comments I enjoyed this but like you I didn't think it was great and I think I gave it a three star as well.

One of the things I enjoyed about it was something you alluded to was the voice seemed old fashioned -being of the era.

Karin | 7468 comments Booknblues wrote: "I enjoyed this but like you I didn't think it was great and I think I gave it a three star as well.

One of the things I enjoyed about it was something you alluded to was the voice seemed old fashi..."

I liked the voice most of the time, just not when it sounded like a newscaster, and that is probably a personal pet peeve.