Bookmarks Subscribers discussion

May/June 2009 > Housekeeper and the Professor

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments I haven't read this, but it certainly sounds intriguing. How would you rate this book?

message 2: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (wanda514) I just closed the book 1 minute ago. I am still wiping away the tears and cannot post a review just yet; but, I will. This was a wonderful, heart-warming story of how life and family are not necessarily defined by shared memories; but, rather, by shared experiences. I am so glad that I read this book. And, as I deal with my aging parents, whom I am sure will experience memory loss from time to time, I hope that I can remember the Housekeeper and her quiet patience.

message 3: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (wanda514) Joycenclyde wrote: "Lisa wrote: "I haven't read this, but it certainly sounds intriguing. How would you rate this book?"

I believe I gave it three stars. It wasn't a great book, IMHO, but a worthwhile read, and shor..."

The Elegance of the Hedgehog was another great book. I loved the pretentiousness of the two main characters.

message 4: by LynnB (new)

LynnB I really liked this beautiful little story of a devoted friendship between an older mathematics professor whose short-term memory lasts for 80 minutes only, his housekeeper and her young son (whom the professor nicknames Root -- as in square root). Math is not my friend, however I found the math that is in the book to be an interesting way to view the professor's life and how he, himself, views life. The book was very simple, yet complex at the same time. It is not a story with a beginning and end so much as it is a slice of life. I recommend the book. 4.5 stars.

message 5: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I loved this book. The relationships between the characters and the incorporation of mathematics create a very enjoyable and beautifully written novel.