Reading 1001 discussion

The Gathering
This topic is about The Gathering
1001 book reviews > The Gathering by Anne Enright

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tatjana JP | 294 comments My rating: 2 stars
I don't know why, but this book was so hard to read. I just couldn't understand this sad and dark story of Veronica, who is in late thirties and has unhappy marriage and two daughters. She is one of twelve children in her family and is trying to live after her brother Liam committed suicide. The book is mainly focused on her stream of consciousness, which was so gloomy and sometimes just difficult to connect to. Actually, I'm just happy for finishing this book.

message 2: by Pip (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pip | 1481 comments I have wanted to read this since it won the Booker Prize. I think my enjoyment was partly curtailed by my prior knowledge of the subject matter, gleaned from reviews, so the slow reveal was less powerful. I was, nevertheless, enchanted by Enright's style. She describes the musings and recollections of the protagonist with an uncanny accuracy for how she might think, certain of her memories and opinions one moment and doubting them the next. I loved her capture of Irish ways of speaking and that it was wryly funny despite the depressing catalogue of characters.

message 3: by Diane (last edited Jun 19, 2020 11:07PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Diane  | 2051 comments Rating: 3 stars? 2.5?

I'm not sure what to thing about this one. A young man from a large Irish family dies by suicide. His sister, the narrator, explains events from the past that brought about his death. This book has that certain bleakness common in so many Irish novels.

The book started wonderfully, and had frequent moments of brilliance. Then the author would come up with something to kill those lovely moments. So, it was a bit of a roller coaster rise for me, I liked it - I didn't like it - I liked it, etc., etc. I honestly think Enright is obsessed with the male organ. There were so many references to it, particularly toward the latter part of the book.

Kristel (kristelh) | 4261 comments Mod
Read for TBR Reading 1001. I've owned this kindle copy since 2015 so it is about time I read it. Anne Enright is an Irish author and the setting is Ireland, death, wake, family. The Irish seem to like to write about death and wakes. This story is the exploration of a sister's stream of conscious state after the death of her brother by suicide. Many family secrets are explored.