Horror Aficionados discussion

The Siren and the Specter
This topic is about The Siren and the Specter
Group Reads: Guest Author Invite > September 2018 Group Read with Guest Author, Jonathan Janz

Comments Showing 1-50 of 272 (272 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

Kenneth McKinley | 1559 comments Mod
This is the thread for the September 2018 Group Read with Guest Author, Jonathan Janz. We haven't heard much from Jonathan in 2018 but, rest assured, he has been locked in his underground catacombs concocting up some frightful tales for us. The Siren and The Specter is his first new release from Flame Tree Press and world-renowned horror editor, Don D'Auria. I know that many of you, including myself, have been looking forward to this one. So, please help me welcome - JONATHAN JANZ!

Meli (melihooker) | 83 comments Welcome!! Haven't read Jonathan Janz in years, so no time like the present >:-)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 6428 comments Mod
Incredible! Welcome, Jonathan!!

message 4: by WendyB (new)

WendyB  | 3403 comments Mod
I've ordered a copy of the book. Can't wait to read it with the wonderful people at HA.

Melanie | 1656 comments This looks great but unfortunately it won't be available in NZ for a few weeks so I'll be missing out on the GR :( but I'm looking forward to reading it asap.

message 6: by WendyB (new)

WendyB  | 3403 comments Mod
Melanie wrote: "This looks great but unfortunately it won't be available in NZ for a few weeks so I'll be missing out on the GR :( but I'm looking forward to reading it asap."

It's not available in the US until Sept 6. I'll be waiting too.

Latasha (latasha513) | 11277 comments Mod
welcome Jonathan. This sounds great. I'm not sure how I'm going to read all these great selections in 1 month but I'm going to try!

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 397 comments Can we read/discuss ANY Janz book? 'The Siren...' is not available until September 8th, and I cannot afford a *new* Janz book atm, but I hate to miss out! (FOMO is REAL!) --Jen from Quebec :0) (I am a big fan)

Latasha wrote: "welcome Jonathan. This sounds great. I'm not sure how I'm going to read all these great selections in 1 month but I'm going to try!"

ok I preordered it and got everything sorted. ready to go!

Melanie | 1656 comments Jen from Quebec :0) wrote: "Can we read/discuss ANY Janz book? 'The Siren...' is not available until September 8th, and I cannot afford a *new* Janz book atm, but I hate to miss out! (FOMO is REAL!) --Jen from Quebec :0) (I a..."

I hear ya Jen, and I was wondering the same thing....? What do the mods think?

Kenneth McKinley | 1559 comments Mod
Even though the story isn’t released until after the 1st, the group read is for the whole month of September. We’ll all have plenty of time to get the read in and chat with him. Jonathan is fantastic at these group reads. He’s a plethora of information and loves to interact with readers. I’m sure he won’t mind answering questions/talking about all things Jonathan Janz. With that being said, we do try to help promote the author’s new release. Let’s do our best to focus on the The Siren and the Spector.

message 12: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 42 comments Welcome Jonathan & thank you for hanging with us for a bit this month. I always enjoy your work, so I can’t wait to begin reading THE SIREN AND THE SPECTER. I already have some good questions ready for you. :)
I’m so pleased to have you as a guest this month!!

Catherine Cavendish | 292 comments Ordered mine and looking forward to reading it!

message 14: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Janz (jonathanjanz) | 835 comments Ken wrote: "This is the thread for the September 2018 Group Read with Guest Author, Jonathan Janz. We haven't heard much from Jonathan in 2018 but, rest assured, he has been locked in his underground catacombs..."

Thank you for this wonderful introduction, Ken! It is going to be an absolutely amazing time together, and I can't wait to get going. I guess I don't *have* to wait, huh?

Hello everybody!!! :-)

message 15: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Janz (jonathanjanz) | 835 comments Meli wrote: "Welcome!! Haven't read Jonathan Janz in years, so no time like the present >:-)"

Meli!!!! So great to hear from you! Are you stateside or globetrotting right now?

message 16: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Janz (jonathanjanz) | 835 comments Kimberly wrote: "Incredible! Welcome, Jonathan!!"

Kimberly! So awesome to hear from you! I hope you're extremely well. :-)

message 17: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Janz (jonathanjanz) | 835 comments WendyB wrote: "I've ordered a copy of the book. Can't wait to read it with the wonderful people at HA."

Thank you so much for ordering it, Wendy!

message 18: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Janz (jonathanjanz) | 835 comments Latasha wrote: "welcome Jonathan. This sounds great. I'm not sure how I'm going to read all these great selections in 1 month but I'm going to try!"

Hey there, Latasha! So great to hear from you! This is going to be a blast. :-)

message 19: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Janz (jonathanjanz) | 835 comments Jen from Quebec :0) wrote: "Can we read/discuss ANY Janz book? 'The Siren...' is not available until September 8th, and I cannot afford a *new* Janz book atm, but I hate to miss out! (FOMO is REAL!) --Jen from Quebec :0) (I a..."

Hey, Jen! While the primary focus will be SIREN, I am totally down with discussing anything you want. CHILDREN OF THE DARK and EXORCIST FALLS are fair game, and the rest of my backlist is coming beginning in December. Then there's THE DARK GAME, which is coming in April, and at least two more new releases before the end of 2019, and more likely three more new releases. Let's talk about it all! :-)

message 20: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Janz (jonathanjanz) | 835 comments Latasha wrote: "Latasha wrote: "welcome Jonathan. This sounds great. I'm not sure how I'm going to read all these great selections in 1 month but I'm going to try!"

ok I preordered it and got everything sorted. r..."

Yay! Thank you so much, Latasha! I appreciate it.

message 21: by Meli (new) - rated it 5 stars

Meli (melihooker) | 83 comments Long time, no see! I am in good ole Hoosier country ;-)

message 22: by Meli (new) - rated it 5 stars

Meli (melihooker) | 83 comments Aaaaaaaannnd, preprdered at my local bookstore!!

message 23: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Janz (jonathanjanz) | 835 comments Melanie wrote: "This looks great but unfortunately it won't be available in NZ for a few weeks so I'll be missing out on the GR :( but I'm looking forward to reading it asap."

I understand, Melanie, but I'd still love to see you around here so we can hang out! :-)

message 24: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Janz (jonathanjanz) | 835 comments Ken wrote: "Even though the story isn’t released until after the 1st, the group read is for the whole month of September. We’ll all have plenty of time to get the read in and chat with him. Jonathan is fantast..."

All this is true. I LOVE these events. Let's hang out folks and talk about whatever interests you. Sure, the main focus will be SIREN, but I'm up for anything. SO PUMPED!

message 25: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Janz (jonathanjanz) | 835 comments Sheri wrote: "Welcome Jonathan & thank you for hanging with us for a bit this month. I always enjoy your work, so I can’t wait to begin reading THE SIREN AND THE SPECTER. I already have some good questions ready..."

What a kind, awesome welcome, Sheri. Thank you! It will be a blast hanging out with you this month, and I hope you enjoy SIREN. :-)

message 26: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Janz (jonathanjanz) | 835 comments Catherine wrote: "Ordered mine and looking forward to reading it!"

Thank you so much, Catherine! :-)

message 27: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Janz (jonathanjanz) | 835 comments Meli wrote: "Aaaaaaaannnd, preprdered at my local bookstore!!"

BOOM! Thank you! And welcome back to the land of Li'l Sebastian! :-)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 6428 comments Mod
I can't WAIT to dive into this discussion!!!!

James | 3 comments Just preordered my copy...this is my first book ive ordered since joining this group, super excited!

Nickronomicon | 161 comments Long time, no see! I am in good ole Hoosier country ;-)

Another Hoosier? Me too!
Looking forward to reading this new novel and enjoying the discussion. Jonathan is one of the most active authors when we do these and I really appreciate it.

message 31: by Meli (new) - rated it 5 stars

Meli (melihooker) | 83 comments Oh really? Awesome!! Welcome, fellow Hoosier :-)

message 32: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Janz (jonathanjanz) | 835 comments Kimberly wrote: "I can't WAIT to dive into this discussion!!!!"

It is going to be an epic month!

message 33: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Janz (jonathanjanz) | 835 comments Lawton wrote: "This is awesome, thank you Jonathan for joining. I discovered your novella Old Order earlier this year and it was magnificently disturbing."

Wow, thank you, Lawton! I'm so happy you enjoyed that one. It's a bit divisive, but I find the folks who like it *really* like it.

Thanks again!

message 34: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Janz (jonathanjanz) | 835 comments James wrote: "Just preordered my copy...this is my first book ive ordered since joining this group, super excited!"

Thank you so much, James! It'll be a blast hanging out with you.

message 35: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Janz (jonathanjanz) | 835 comments Nickronomicon wrote: "Long time, no see! I am in good ole Hoosier country ;-)

Another Hoosier? Me too!
Looking forward to reading this new novel and enjoying the discussion. Jonathan is one of the most active authors w..."

Thank you for the kind words, Nickronomicon (Should I call you that, or should I use a shortened version?)! I didn't know you were in Indiana, did I? Or did I know and just forgot? :-)

Nickronomicon | 161 comments Thank you for the kind words, Nickronomicon (Should I call you that, or should I use a shortened version?)! I didn't know you were in Indiana, did I? Or did I know and just forgot? :-)

Actually Nick works, as long as you don't invoke the power of my true name...
We've talked on here about our IN connections in the past, but no worries. I've been trying to get you do a book signing or a Con around here so I can shake your hand!

message 37: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Janz (jonathanjanz) | 835 comments Nickronomicon wrote: "Thank you for the kind words, Nickronomicon (Should I call you that, or should I use a shortened version?)! I didn't know you were in Indiana, did I? Or did I know and just forgot? :-)

Actually N..."

NOW I remember! Sorry about that. When there's a bit of time in between these experiences, I tend to forget which names go with which people. But yes, I definitely remember you and our conversations. How the heck have you been? And you're right. I need to go to a con around here soon. It would be great to meet you in person! :-)

message 38: by Robert (new) - added it

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments Just pre-ordered my copy. Now that I'm officially an empty-nester, I should have time even with other time demands. A new Janz is always cause for celebration! :-)

message 39: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Janz (jonathanjanz) | 835 comments Robert wrote: "Just pre-ordered my copy. Now that I'm officially an empty-nester, I should have time even with other time demands. A new Janz is always cause for celebration! :-)"

That is awesome, Robert. Thank you! :-)

message 40: by Josen (new)

Josen (josens) | 71 comments I'm definitely a Janz fan so I'll be pre-ordering this as well......along with a physical copy of Children of the Dark. (I have it on e-book but I have to have a physical book for my collection it was so good!) Really looking forward to this one! :)

message 41: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Janz (jonathanjanz) | 835 comments Josen wrote: "I'm definitely a Janz fan so I'll be pre-ordering this as well......along with a physical copy of Children of the Dark. (I have it on e-book but I have to have a physical book for my collection it ..."

Josen! It's so great to hear from you! Thank you so much for preordering SIREN. I can't wait to see what you think of it. :-)

message 42: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Janz (jonathanjanz) | 835 comments We're eight days from publication date, friends. But we're only...two days from September? Which means it's going to be ON.

*nods head and smiles meaningfully*

message 43: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Janz (jonathanjanz) | 835 comments By my calendar, tomorrow is the first day of September. I can't wait, friends! Though the book won't release until Thursday (in ebook, paperback, hardcover, AND audio), I'll be talking about it beginning tomorrow.

Feel free to spread the word. I'd love for this to be a month-long party!

I’m ready for September too!! Fall is my favorite 🖤 and excited to read this.

message 45: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Janz (jonathanjanz) | 835 comments Latasha wrote: "I’m ready for September too!! Fall is my favorite 🖤 and excited to read this."

Thank you, Latasha!

message 46: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Janz (jonathanjanz) | 835 comments Annnnnd...it's September!

Let's get it going, folks. Here's some of the origin of the novel:

Five years ago, when my family and I journeyed to Virginia so I could attend the first-ever Scares That Care Weekend (an event I'd recommend you all someday experience if you haven't yet), we spent four days at a historical resort and three days at a rental house on the Rappahannock River.

Yep.

This house. Friends, this house was built in 1676, which in itself is mind-blowing (at least to this American--were I from Greece or France, 1676 might not seem so incredibly old). But what I also loved about the place was its seclusion, its sense of mystery, and...

...well, the sense that something there was slightly amiss.

You see, I'm neither a paranormal enthusiast nor a tight-jawed skeptic. I honestly don't know what I believe about ghosts and things that go bump in the night. But in a way, that's what makes exploring all this stuff all the more delicious.

Anyway.

We stayed in that house for three days. Parts of it were romantic, parts of it were fun. Other moments were sort of unsettling.

There was one room in particular that bothered me. It was a long bedroom spanning the length of the house with four single beds lined up one after the other. It reminded me too much of a hospital ward, and what was more, the temperature in there was freezing, despite there being no logical reason for the chill. My kids spent the night in there the first night, but by the second night I insisted they stay in rooms closer to my wife and me on the first floor. That sense of wrongness in the long bedroom was too palpable for me to sleep knowing my kids were there.

So there's the very beginning of the story's origin. There's much more to the setting I'll cover soon, but this is a good start.

message 47: by Meli (last edited Sep 01, 2018 07:53AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Meli (melihooker) | 83 comments Wow, that is incredibly old! My house is 100 years old which is pretty cool, so I understand the allure. It is hard to come by buildings too much older in the US.

How did you find this rental house!? Was it just you and the family or other guests? It sounds amazing...

I am like you, not really into the paranormal, but I would go so far as to say I don't believe in ghosts. However, despite saying that, I have been in places with a palpable sense of some presence or spirit. And I have also been frozen by fear when wake in the middle of the night and feel something isn't right or I'm convinced I've heard some strange noise, so what do I really believe!?

I hope my bookstore gets this is on the release day, I am not sure how that works. (You have probably been there - small local place in Market square?)

Let the countdown begin!

message 48: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Janz (jonathanjanz) | 835 comments Meli wrote: "Wow, that is incredibly old! My house is 100 years old which is pretty cool, so I understand the allure. It is hard to come by buildings too much older in the US.

How did you find this rental hou..."

Hah! Yes! I forget the name of the bookstore too, but it's about two hundred yards from my grandpa's house, where I go at least once a week. I don't know if they know about it yet. Von's is going to stock it, and the Barnes & Noble usually stocks my stuff. I should probably let that Market Square bookstore know...

message 49: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Janz (jonathanjanz) | 835 comments Meli wrote: "Wow, that is incredibly old! My house is 100 years old which is pretty cool, so I understand the allure. It is hard to come by buildings too much older in the US.

How did you find this rental hou..."

The rental house was on VRBO. I'll PM you the link. The thing is...I never told the owners about my experiences there or this novel. I don't see much upside to telling them, and I see some downside. It's sort of a quandary. :-)

message 50: by Meli (new) - rated it 5 stars

Meli (melihooker) | 83 comments 2nd Flight Books is the one... I already preordered it through them. Always thought I might run into you there, but haven't yet.

If I have a chance, I would love to stay in this place! Yikes :O

« previous 1 3 4 5 6