Maryse's Book Blog WolfPack/Bridesmaids Meeting Place discussion

2018 ~ Monthly Challenges > September 2018 ~ TBR Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
The only *rule* for this challenge is that you have to pick a book from your TBR (to be read) file. We want to decrease the size of our back lists, hence the challenge!

September 2018 ~ Cheryl's pick ~ Back to School, Teacher/Student or Sports Theme!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

message 2: by Leslie (last edited Sep 02, 2018 06:08AM) (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments In and already picked book. Getting Schooled Getting Schooled (Getting Some, #1) by Emma Chase

Changed my mind!!! This is not for me.

message 3: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
I'm in... I must start looking at Mt. TBR.

message 4: by Michele (last edited Aug 25, 2018 02:06PM) (new)

Michele | 2131 comments I’m gonna read The Hot Shot (Game On, #4) by Kristen Callihan

message 5: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments A book I haven't read yet, and the hero is a football player. Fallen Crest Nightmare A Fallen Crest Novella by Tijan

It's outside of the actual series, kinda like a dream, so I haven't gotten around to reading it. Was originally saving it for Halloween, but it's Fallen Crest, so...

message 6: by Jean (new)

Jean | 1657 comments I'm definitely in for this one.....I know I have lots of choices!

Leslie, been hearing great things about that one!

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Aiello (lisaaiello) | 2459 comments I am in

message 8: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4283 comments In but no clue what to read!

message 9: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4283 comments Leslie wrote: "In and already picked book. Getting Schooled Getting Schooled (Getting Some, #1) by Emma Chase"

I'm thinking of joining you on this book!

message 10: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments Yay Ela!!! 🤗

message 11: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
Come on in,we don't bite!

message 12: by Paula (last edited Aug 30, 2018 02:13AM) (new)

Paula White | 796 comments I will have to take a look at my TBR, I haven't done July or August's yet but count me in....
I have made a challenge shelf with my behind challenge books! I will get to them..I will!

message 13: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments Ooh, I'm all over this one. Student/teacher has been my favorite trope as of late. I just need to find a REALLY good majorly forbiddeny one. None of these "he's a 26 year old college professor and she's his 22 year old TA." That's not enough!

message 14: by Paula (new)

Paula White | 796 comments I am reading Lessons in Corruption (The Fallen Men, #1) by Giana Darling at the moment, so I think I may have done this one early!

message 15: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments Oooh, Paula--I hope you love it like I did!

Like you, I haven't read my August TBR. I haven't been able to get into any of the drink themed books I've tried, but I don't want to dnf them.

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Aiello (lisaaiello) | 2459 comments Renee wrote: "Ooh, I'm all over this one. Student/teacher has been my favorite trope as of late. I just need to find a REALLY good majorly forbiddeny one. None of these "he's a 26 year old college professor and ..."

And THAT is why I adore you to pieces, Nay. I feel the same...and ain't ashamed to admit it! Let me know what you come up with. I'm gonna scour my TBR pile and see what I can find too.

message 17: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Aiello (lisaaiello) | 2459 comments I'm torn between Dark Notes by Pam Godwin or Veiled Innocence by Ella Frank or maybe Beautiful Mistake by Vi Keeland . I already own Dark Notes, so maybe I should just go with that one. Okay...Dark Notes it is for me.

message 18: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2131 comments Mmmm... Dark Notes - - I remember loving that one when I read it! Enjoy!

message 19: by Nay (last edited Aug 30, 2018 05:13PM) (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments Lisa, 😘 Another great one is Secret Lucidity by E.K. Blair. I have it to loan if you want to read it.

Is there a reason you don't have Lessons in Corruption on your TBR? Is it the biker thing? I can't remember whether you read those. But anyway, that book has soon major forbiddeny feels. And it's super HOT! The hero is VERY mature for his age and definitely drives the relationship.

I've been told I should read Dark Notes several times, but every time I start, I just don't 'feel' it. However, with this theme, I guess now is the time to give it another try. Also, SO many people loved it.

Veiled Innocence has really great reviews, but I think I may have already read it and just didn't mark it. I'll have to check.

message 20: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
Lessons in Corruption is dark...and hot...and forbiddenny feels??? hmmmm, do I have that one?? LOL

message 21: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments Finished Fallen Crest Nightmare: A Fallen Crest Novella It was a little too short for me, like the end was rushed. I saw what she took out, (it's included) and good call. But, it should've been a bit more at the end. :) Also, I don't think I want horror with Fallen Crest. The characters are too beloved.

message 22: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments Ok Ela, I tried Getting Schooled and hated it. Couldn't get through first chapter. Too much name dropping and I could tell writing style would not be thing. DNF!

message 23: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments I am doing a sport theme instead and I choose Ride Ride by Harper Dallas

message 24: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4283 comments Leslie wrote: "Ok Ela, I tried Getting Schooled and hated it. Couldn't get through first chapter. Too much name dropping and I could tell writing style would not be thing. DNF!"

Oh great! I'll try it and see....

message 25: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments I finished Ride Ride by Harper Dallas and guess what?? It was just ok. Apparently, I don't love anything anymore. 😥

I wasn't fully invested in characters and the snowboarding and photography aspect of it made story drag.

3***

message 26: by Paula (new)

Paula White | 796 comments I only 3* it Leslie - was a bit blah for me

message 27: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments *fist bumps Paula*

I love when my book buds have same opinion as me on a book.

message 28: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4283 comments For the mood I was in I didn't mind Getting Schooled, even though a bit cliched...and written before... 4*

message 29: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments I finally decided on Broken English Broken English (Broken Lives, #1) by Marita A. Hansen and it's a DNF.

Although the writing has definite potential, it needs an editor to smooth out the rough edges (I don't need to know what color everything in a single scene is).

However, even if I could've overlooked the editing, the hero is just ick. When I'm reading about an age difference, I can't handle it if I'm reminded constantly of how young the younger MC is because they act like a toddler. And I can't stand it in my teacher/student romances if the student calls the teacher "teach". I don't want to feel like I'm reading about the Fonz.

Just no.

message 30: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments Nay, Oh no!! That one sounded soooo good. I giggled over The Fonz. (I loved Happy Days!!)

message 31: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments Leslie wrote: "Nay, Oh no!! That one sounded soooo good. I giggled over The Fonz. (I loved Happy Days!!)"

He only calls her that one time, but it was one time too many! I just felt like he was a brat and it wasn't sexy to me at all. For me, if either mc is going to be a lot younger, they HAVE to be mature and not act younger than their age. I also can't stand when the girl is younger and the 'daddy' card is played. I don't need THAT reminder that she's so much younger.

message 32: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Aiello (lisaaiello) | 2459 comments 4 stars for Dark Notes. That was teacher/student done right for sure. I adored Emeric, that dirty talking bad body. But one star off for the fate of Schubert the Cat...because who does that? It was unnecessary to the story and I absolutely hated it!!

message 33: by Jean (new)

Jean | 1657 comments 4 Stars for Binding 13! I loved the book and all the characters (especially Gibsie)...... but the age of the MCs had me deducting 1 star.

message 34: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2131 comments I don't think I ever posted when I finished Hot Shot - I gave it 4 stars. I've had good luck with that series.

message 35: by Jean (new)

Jean | 1657 comments I really like that series too Michele!

message 36: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments Jean wrote: "4 Stars for Binding 13! I loved the book and all the characters (especially Gibsie)...... but the age of the MCs had me deducting 1 star."

What about their age, Jean? Did it seem YA-ish to you? I know everyone's loved it and I tried, but I was bored with their childhood. I plan to read it closer to the release of the 2nd book (I guess).

message 37: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments Michellllle!!!!!

I'll say it here again--you NEED to read Bad Things (Tristan & Danika, #1) by R.K. Lilley Rock Bottom (Tristan & Danika, #2) by R.K. Lilley and Lovely Trigger (Tristan & Danika #3) by R.K. Lilley ASAP!

MAJOR angstfest!

(now get ready for everyone to say, "OMG! Michele hasn't read Tristan and Danika?!") 😁😁😁

message 38: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2131 comments I know I keep meaning to!!! I’m such a slacker! 😉

message 39: by JudyCa (new)

JudyCa | 1708 comments Renee wrote: "Michellllle!!!!!

I'll say it here again--you NEED to read Bad Things (Tristan & Danika, #1) by R.K. Lilley Rock Bottom (Tristan & Danika, #2) by R.K. Lilley and Lovely Trigger (Tristan & Danika #3) by R.K. Lilley ASAP!

MAJOR angstfest!

(now get..."

OMG! Michele hasn't read Tristan and Danika?!

Get on that girl ;)

message 40: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Ruyten | 1026 comments Michelle, lucky you, I am so envious, you have not read that book. That’s one of my all time favourite.

You really need to get on that. That’s def a no brainer.
You won’t be disappointed. You lucky thing. 😉

message 41: by Michele (last edited Sep 28, 2018 09:06AM) (new)

Michele | 2131 comments It's definitely next on my list...kind of hooked on the Eagle Elite series by Rachel Van Dyken right now...can't wait though - - I'm anticipating book gold from all of these recs!!

message 42: by Jean (new)

Jean | 1657 comments MICHELE!! YOU MUST READ TRISTAN AND DANIKA SERIES!! DROP EVERYTHING YOU ARE DOING RIGHT NOW!!!!

message 43: by Jean (new)

Jean | 1657 comments Renee wrote: "Jean wrote: "4 Stars for Binding 13! I loved the book and all the characters (especially Gibsie)...... but the age of the MCs had me deducting 1 star."

What about their age, Jean? Did it seem YA-i..."

Yes, YA-ish. But I really did love the book!! I'm actually looking forward to book 2.

message 44: by Paula (new)

Paula White | 796 comments I can’t say enough words about how good Binding 13 is and with the snippets of Keeping 13 that looks like it will be brill too!!!

message 45: by Jean (new)

Jean | 1657 comments I agree Paula! I just wish they were "a little bit older".......but the writing was amazing and the story was "brill" (I like that word) too!

message 46: by Paula (new)

Paula White | 796 comments Lol Jean - is brill another Britishism I thought everyone used??

message 47: by Jean (new)

Jean | 1657 comments Ha! I guess so because I've never heard it!

message 48: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments Renee wrote: "Michellllle!!!!!

MAJOR angstfest!

(now get..."

Holy crap! Read NOW! Words can't describe how awesome that trilogy truly was.

message 49: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Ruyten | 1026 comments TESSA, where have you been. We miss you. Maryse is missing you too. And Bev.

Tristran an Danika. Ahhhhhhhh sigh. Just love those books. 😍

message 50: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments Melinda wrote: "TESSA, where have you been. We miss you. Maryse is missing you too. And Bev.

Tristran an Danika. Ahhhhhhhh sigh. Just love those books. 😍"

Awww *hugs* I kinda went into recluse mode... I do that like once every few years. :) Then I get back to being chatty. So, I promise, I'm back!

« previous 1