The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Book Hunting / Recommendations > Books with spectacular surprise endings

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sjohnson33071) | 14 comments I just posted this in chat because I hadn’t seen this section yet. I’m sorry!!

My main goal of reading a mystery / thriller is to be surprised at the end and have lots of “aha” bits click into place. I can usually figure out the “bad guy” early while reading and then I’m pretty disappointed when it turns out to be who I suspected. I usually will write off an author after a bad experience.

Books I’ve enjoyed that are what I’m looking for:

Gone Girl
Big Little Lies
Jar of Hearts
The Wife Between Us (loooooved this)
The Lying Game

I think Unraveling Oliver had a “surprise” twist but parts of that book were so outlandish, weirdly timed, and out of place I did not enjoy it much at all.

message 2: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 91 comments Loved The Wife Between Us too.

Also,

Behind Her Eyes
I See You
Let Me Lie

message 3: by Faith (new)

Faith | 350 comments Sarah wrote: "I just posted this in chat because I hadn’t seen this section yet. I’m sorry!!

My main goal of reading a mystery / thriller is to be surprised at the end and have lots of “aha” bits click into pla..."

You might like Sometimes I Lie and Something in the Water

message 4: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 91 comments Something in the Water is on my TBR.

message 5: by Patty (new)

Patty | 3079 comments What surprises me might not surprise you. But Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane is one that comes to mind. I just read The Chatham School Affair by Thomas H. Cook that surprised me. A very good book.

message 6: by David (new)

David Freas (quillracer) | 2402 comments Check out Criminal Conversation by Evan Hunter (Ed McBain). I read it many years ago and the ending haunts me to this day.
Also check out Harlan Coben's stand-alone books. His twists have twists.

message 7: by Mel (new)

Mel (saekoshiro) The Three by Sarah Lotz, Trouble by Jesse Kellerman, and Exquisite Corpse by Poppy Z. Brite

message 8: by Lena (new)

message 9: by stan (new)

stan (stanthewiseman) | 141 comments The New Testement

message 10: by Lacy (new)

Lacy (lacyh123) Behind Her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough thoroughly surprised me in the end. I had absolutely no idea it was going to end that way, and I am not easily surprised. (I didn't even like The Wife Between us because I had that figured out very early on)

Kirsten wrote: "Loved The Wife Between Us too.

Also,

Behind Her Eyes
I See You
Let Me Lie"

message 11: by Skye (last edited Sep 05, 2018 11:57AM) (new)

message 12: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen Patty wrote: "What surprises me might not surprise you. But Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane is one that comes to mind. I just read The Chatham School Affair by Thomas H. Cook that surprised me. A very good book."

Ditto on Shutter Island