ALL discussion

Top summer read 2018?

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Glass | 1 comments Hi ALL!

So... this little group has been a bit quiet since it was set up. I couldn't see how to start discussions on the app so am doing this from the website itself.

As summer is drawing to a close, what is the best book you have read this summer?

This is always a tricky question for me to answer but (plot holes aside) one I enjoyed was 'The Phantom Tree' by Nicola Cornick.

I've also enjoyed continuing to read a couple of series I'm in the middle of: the Mary Russell series by Laurie King, the Poldark series by Winston Graham, and the Hamish Macbeth series by M.C. Beaton (definitely the least high brow, haha).

Hope to hear from some of you :)

message 2: by Mary (new)

Mary (mcyrus) | 1 comments My two favorites this summer have been Parable of the Sower (Earthseed #1) by Octavia Butler, and The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard #1) by Scott Lynch.

Parable of the Sower has some uncomfortable/prophetic parallels to our current political climate, and is a dystopian, post-apocalyptic and somewhat sci fi novel.

The Lies of Locke Lamora is a fun combination of sci fi, fantasy, and what feels like historical fiction (although it's set on another world). The protagonist is a professional thief and a very interesting anti-hero who gets up to all sorts of shenanigans.