The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

General Chat > Hi! New here and slightly freaking out

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sjohnson33071) | 14 comments So I was recommended to this site not long ago by a great librarian I know. I messed around and added a few books here and there but never really used the app. (I exclusively access this through my phone).

Now I’d like to throw myself into the fire. I’m not sure how to navigate this group very well and thought someone could give me a few pointers? There are so many threads and topics and sections ... my spectrum disorder is making me slightly panic! Could anyone suggest a few main places to go to jump into discussions and maybe get a good recommendation or two?

I just finished Baby Teeth and Jar of Hearts. Enjoyed both but meh on both endings. Love Gone Girl, anything by Chevy Stevens, The Pillars of the Earth (doesn’t belong here but still love it!), don’t like cozies / James Patterson / any super long series. Tend to lean more literary / serious psychological stuff than fluffy, funny mysteries.

Thanks all. :)

(Super crazy short bio : big reader (duh), 31, married with wife often abroad, no kids at home, one dog, country living, and books and coffee keep me company.)

message 2: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 9320 comments Mod
Hi Sarah!

Welcome to our group. The "Currently Reading" thread is probably a great place for recommendations, as is "books you just bought..." ; for TV/Movies there's the Netflix Recommendations thread or the blanket television/movies thread. Those will at least get you going until you can find your way around.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sjohnson33071) | 14 comments Awesome. Thanks so much! I need to somehow get back to the books I’ve read swipe thing when I first signed up as there are so many, it would take me a few hours to really dig in.

message 4: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 9320 comments Mod
do you have a scanner? That's how I do it.

message 5: by Danni (new)

Danni lynn ❤ (danni_lynn88) | 157 comments Hiiiii welcome 😊 think if you have the app you can scan them I read baby teeth and jar of hearts too the ending to jar of hearts disappointed me baby teeth I love & would like a continuation

message 6: by Faith (new)

Faith | 350 comments Sarah wrote: "So I was recommended to this site not long ago by a great librarian I know. I messed around and added a few books here and there but never really used the app. (I exclusively access this through my..."

You should also try following or sending friend requests to people who share your taste in books. Look at books you loved (or hated) and read some reviews of people who rated the book the same way you did. Compare books with those people to see what else they read. Once you collect a group of those people you might find seeing what they are reading more useful than just hearing from random people.

message 7: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 13846 comments Faith wrote: "Sarah wrote: "So I was recommended to this site not long ago by a great librarian I know. I messed around and added a few books here and there but never really used the app. (I exclusively access t..."

Agreed. I also then joined groups those users were active in , and that made the whole friending-strangers-who-share-book-interests thing feel more comfortable. (Introverts United Founding Member here).

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sjohnson33071) | 14 comments That’s fantastic advice, thank you very much!

message 9: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 36365 comments The first people I became friends with were people I actually knew.

message 10: by Lena (new)

Lena You might need to get use to using the browser on your phone for GR because the app is a glitchy thing that won’t even let you open spoilers.

message 11: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Welcome Sarah! The site can be confusing, at times.

message 12: by jennsquared (new)

jennsquared | 48 comments Lena, they did a push on updates and it's gotten a bit better. I like using it a lot more now!

Sarah, welcome!!! I love Karin Slaughter for serious, psychological thriller, and there are many more authors I found through this group!!!!