Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes 2017-2018 > Crazy Rich Asians

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9384 comments Just saw the movie and absolutely loved it. Can't remember if any parts of it differed from the book. The characters were great! It was funny and tender. May have even liked the movie more. China Rich Girlfriend (#2) just went higher on my list!

message 2: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6407 comments Hubby and I are going to see it on Tuesday. ($5 tickets and free popcorn!)

message 3: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 8430 comments Waiting for its popularity to calm down here in NYC so that I can get a ticket on the spur of the moment after work. I really enjoyed the books.

message 4: by Jeremiah (new)

Jeremiah Cunningham | 717 comments Saw the movie yesterday. I think if I had not read the book I would have really loved the movie. However, having read the first book (which the movie is adapted from) I really did not like many aspects of the movie. They just changed way too much from the book. I am excited to read the second book this month for the friendship tag.

message 5: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments Saw the movie this past weekend, and LOVED IT. I read the book when it first came out (5 years ago I think?) So it's been a while, which is exactly how I need to watch movies from books. Close enough to remember, but far enough away to not be bothered by the changes and details. I was that person reaching for the tissues, twice, lol.

Honestly, the changes didn't really bother me that much simply because they made the movie more "likable" and screen ready. Plus who am I to say that Awkwafina and Ken Jeong should be in it less- they were the comedic relief the movie needed (despite the characters barely being in the book). This movie is A HUGE DEAL for the Asian community, and representation like this from a Blockbuster Summer hit is huge. So many opportunities given from a movie like this, so many stories this represented to people. I might be cheerleading a little hard for the movie, but what this movie represents trumps any "wrongdoings" the movie may have made in my eyes.

message 6: by Jeremiah (new)

Jeremiah Cunningham | 717 comments Joi wrote: "Saw the movie this past weekend, and LOVED IT. I read the book when it first came out (5 years ago I think?) So it's been a while, which is exactly how I need to watch movies from books. Close enou..."

I appreciate your take on the movie. I admit, I probably saw the movie way to close to finishing the book and with the exception of one particular part of the plot, the majority of the changes that bothered me were more details than major items.

The major part that bothered me (view spoiler)

message 7: by Sara (new)

Sara (mootastic1) | 770 comments I rather enjoyed the movie, but I haven't read the book. I don't think I will either. It's exactly the type of story I enjoy as a movie, but wouldn't make much impression as a book. I feel the same about To All the Boys I Ever Loved as well. Enjoyable movie, but not my taste in reading material.