Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > The Japenese Lover: 5 Stars + a few ♥

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments The Japanese Lover by Isabel Allende

The Japanese Lover, Isabel Allende

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

I just can't explain the depth of love & friendship contained in this book, but it wasn't cloying or sappy. The story flowed smoothly between several people (families) past & present. Shards of history of the time of WWII, being Jewish, Japanese come to life, but without horror or melodrama...

No sensationalism here, genuinely nice/good people, with unhappy pasts making the most of life with what is presented to them.

Paraphrasing the inside flap: In 1939, as Poland falls under the shadow of the Nazis WWII, Alma Belasco's parents send her to live with her aunt & uncle in their San Francisco mansion. There Alma encounters the son of the family's Japanese gardener, Ichimei Fukuda, and love blossoms.

Following the attack on Pearl harbor, the Fukudas are sent to Topaz detention camp in Utah, but not before Alma's uncle helps the family.

The book begins in modern-day San Francisco. Alma has moved out of the Belasco family mansion into the Lark House; a former Chocolate Magnate's mansion & estate turned into a tri-level care facility for seniors where she has been living independently in an apartment.

Alma hires Irina Bazili, a resident care assistant at Lark with a troubling past, as her personal assistant.... Irina & Seth (Alma's grandson) form a friendship and together uncover the strong bond of love & friendship between Alma & Ichimei that lasted for almost 70 years.

The story weaves back & forth in a magical manner, telling the stories of two lovers, their families, their friends and the bonds of love and friendship that withstand the test of times, loss, & separation.

Definitely one of my Favorite Authors

message 2: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2666 comments This sounds delightful. I keep meaning to get to Allende and failing to do so. I will put this on the TBR and maybe that will be the reminder that will change things ...

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9341 comments I enjoyed this one greatly as well.

message 4: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2299 comments Adding to my tbr.

message 5: by Sushicat (new)

Sushicat | 805 comments I really liked this one. The audio is very well done.

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael (mike999) | 569 comments Great review. I enjoyed it a lot too. Makes me wonder sometimes seeing a really elderly person what stories they hold if you take the patience to draw them out.

message 7: by Colleen (new)

Colleen This sounds really good. On so many levels.

message 8: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments Michael wrote: "Great review. I enjoyed it a lot too. Makes me wonder sometimes seeing a really elderly person what stories they hold if you take the patience to draw them out."

Thank-you.

message 9: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8417 comments Another one that I started and put down for some reason...I need to go back to it

message 10: by Book Concierge (last edited Aug 25, 2018 02:14PM) (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6389 comments Just 3*** from me. Not her best work, in my opinion.

My Review HERE

message 11: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Just 3*** from me. Not her best work, in my opinion.

My Review HERE"

For me it was the easiest to read & flowed smoothly... and the violence wasn't as graphic as in her previous books

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Wonderful review and sounds like a wonderful story. I'm going to have to add this to my TBR.