Holocaust and genocide discussion

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brandy (new)

Brandy | 2 comments I just recently finished Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay. This is a fictional story of a round-up (the Vel d'Hiv') of Jews in Paris in July 1942. Although fictional, the book provides many historical details about this dark time in France's history when its own police arrested thousands of their own people and sent them to camps within France only later to be shipped off to Auschwitz. This book is gripping from the beginning. It is eye-opening and touching. Ever since I put it down, all I want to do is read more in an attempt to understand and to not be blind to events such as those described that are often kept hidden. I definitely recommend this book. I would love to know if others have read it and what you thought.

message 2: by Susan C (new)

Susan C (somersetpurplegmailcom) Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to add it to my buy list.

message 3: by Abby (new)

Abby (ebbythekiwi) | 2 comments That sounds like an interesting, and slightly different, take on this subject. Thanks for the recommendation - it's already on my to read list :)

message 4: by Irene (new)

Irene | 2 comments Hi I have listened to stories about the Nazi's since childhood and having both parents survive the Nazi's. I read anything about the Holocaust because the majority of the stories have been preserved by the Jewish survivors. We can not forget.
Sarah's Key is a look into France during WWII and this is being made into a movie. I am looking forward to the author's next book about gypsies (another genocide group for the Nazi's.

message 5: by Helen (new)

Helen (helenmarylesshankman) Hi, Irene. I read "Sarah's Key" last year. It was interesting, the different takes on French responsibility for what happened to the Jews during the war. My parents are survivors, too. I'm reading "Wolf Among Wolves" by Hans Fallada next--I read "Every Man Dies Alone" last year, and it was amazing. He was a writer who chose to stay in Germany during the war, sometimes resisting, sometimes collaborating. Knowing so much about the Jewish experience, it's fascinating to read about life in Hitler's Germany from the ordinary German's perspective.

message 6: by Abby (new)

Abby (ebbythekiwi) | 2 comments Hi Helen, ironic to see that you're reading Hans Fallada as a friend just recommended him to me yesterday. All I've heard and read are amazing reviews! Is Every Man Dies Alone also released as Alone in Berlin?...

message 7: by Helen (new)

Helen (helenmarylesshankman) I think so. I couldn't put it down. I can't say enough good things about it.

message 8: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (mandysouthgate) Thanks for the recommendation. My bookclub is reading this now and I think I am going to join in (I don't read their books every month as I prefer slightly more serious books like this or science fiction but not your standard fluffy bookclub fair).

message 9: by Helen (new)

Helen (helenmarylesshankman) Hi, Mandy--your bookclub is reading Every Man Dies Alone? Or Sarah's Key?

message 10: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (mandysouthgate) Hi Helen, Sarah's Key.