What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Middle Grade/YA? Substance abuse. Young girl's family starts off happy, but her mother's drinking gets worse. Beach vacation, girl replaces beer with orange juice. Mother becomes edge & moody.

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristyn (new)

Kristyn (bookof_kalamity) | 3 comments I remember I read a book back in 7th grade and that was 2007, but I'm not sure what year this book was made. The plot based off of a young girl and her family, she had a mother and father and I think a sibling? I'm not sure about a sibling. It started off where the family was happy and cheery, but as the book goes on the main character notices that her mother has been drinking and her drinking progresses throughout the book. I remember the family visited a beach house during the main character's summer vacation from school and she found beer that her mother was drinking. She snuck and poured all of the beer down the sink and filled it with orange juice. After that happened, her mother was edgy and moody, even snappy.

I can't remember much else, but I hate not knowing the author or even a bit of the title!

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36637 comments Mod
Kristyn, did it seem like an older book? For example:

Something's Wrong with Kyla's Mother (1992) by Alice Walsh? Subjects: Children of alcoholics -- Juvenile fiction. Women alcoholics -- Juvenile fiction.

Google Books has a snippet search - https://books.google.com/books?id=PYt...

message 3: by Kristyn (new)

Kristyn (bookof_kalamity) | 3 comments Thank you for finding that. I really wished out of all of the links listed when looking up this book there would be a synopsis! I'll have to save this and try to find it.

message 4: by Kristyn (new)

Kristyn (bookof_kalamity) | 3 comments And yes, at the time when I was in 7th grade it was a somewhat older book, but I couldn't pin point when it was published... like maybe in the 90s or late 80s? I'm not totally for sure. I believe it'd be 90's though.

message 5: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Still looking, Kristyn?

message 6: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Kristyn messaged me and stated she's still looking for this book.

message 7: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36637 comments Mod
Kristyn, I added some details to the header at the top of the page, so your book might be recognized from that description alone. Many members only read the headers.

You can update it by clicking the small "edit" link after the header. This only works on the full Desktop website - not the Mobile website or app. (On the Mobile website, there's a "Desktop version" link at the bottom of the page.)

message 9: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Anything on the Alcoholic Parent list?