Polls for Our Souls discussion

Book Chat > Hated Books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 131 (131 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Sassy Sedusa (new)

Sassy Sedusa | 1537 comments What are some books that you strongly disliked?

message 2: by Angela (last edited Feb 01, 2019 03:31AM) (new)

Angela Auten | 126 comments The Kite Runner which everyone seems to love.

Eclipse, part of the Twilight series. That book ruined the story for me. It was boring. Also never finished Breaking Dawn

Girl Last Seen. That book was absolute trash.

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

The Stranger

Eat, Pray, Love

Tease by Amanda Maciel

message 4: by Marti (new)

Marti  | 47 comments The Up Side of Unrequited (sorry)
Fever (The second book in The Chemical Garden Trilogy)
The One (3rd book on The Selection series)

⭐Anny⭐ (Book Princess) (annithebookprincess) | 640 comments I don't have any books I 'hated'. I couldn't get into Ender's Game and I dnfed Reached by Ally Condie, the 3rd book in her trilogy.

Creative Orange (Rumell Khan) (rkrespectedmember) | 1012 comments I do hate any of what I read.

message 7: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 194 comments Everything ever written by Ernest Hemingway. He's over-rated. And yes, I have read them all. My American Lit prof in college was convinced that Hemingway was the greatest writer in the English language ever. And he did not like my dissing the buffoon. Nor did he like my pointing out plot holes.

F. Scott Fitzgerald is another over rated writer in my opinion.

Dark Lover and, well, all the other books in this series. While I will admit that J.R. Ward has some wonderful ideas, I also believe that she is over-rated in the writing department. (Plus the hero in this book was a nasty, bad tempered bully. And being blind is NOT an excuse for being a bully.) Another problem I had with this book--hello, multi-hundred year old white guys thinking that they were black? Not even remotely logical or believable. If she wanted to write black characters why didn't she just write black characters? I'm also going to admit--this is the only book series that I was absolutely unable to force myself to finish after starting it. Actually, I didn't even finish book 1. I DID finish book 2, after being assured that book 1 was a victim of that whole "first book in a series" problem that all fantasy/sci-fi books have. It only took me 8 weeks to finish book 2--and I normally read 1 to 2 books a day. I had to read a chapter or 2, put it aside and read another book, then back to it and, well, rinse and repeat. I like Ms. Wards ideas (I tried several of her other books as well, but just couldn't get past her writing style) because she had some that I'd never have thought of, but it's like she didn't want anyone to touch her marvelous works, and I don't care who you are, everyone needs an editor.

There are other books that I haven't liked. But those are the biggies for me. Even though I'm kind of worried about admitting to not liking Ward. Her fans tend to be very nasty to those who they feel are not properly in awe of her. I have posted my complaints about her work before, only to get post after post after post screaming at me for daring to suggest that she isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread. And then have the entire review and all of the threads attached to it disappear. So, I usually try to keep my opinions on her to myself. But since you were asking for hated books, I thought I'd risk it.

message 8: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (nifflerlover) | 577 comments The Swiss Family Robinson went nowhere for me. Also, The Oddysy by Homer was boring.

message 9: by Danni (new)

Danni lynn ❤ (danni_lynn88) | 52 comments summer wives no idea why just too slow for me i guess =[ also the shining girls

message 10: by Tarabite (new)

Tarabite | 15 comments Eliza And Her Monsters.

message 11: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 324 comments The Young Elites and Graceling are my most hated. (They broke my compulsion to finish every book.) Less hated (but not liked at all) are Throne of Glass, The Night Circus, and The Book Thief.

message 12: by Soaiba (new)

Soaiba (maxerica4dawin) | 116 comments Wouldn't say hate or strongly disliked, but definitely wasn't able to get into the groove or plot of the story and most of the time had no idea what was going on. The book was Genuine Fraud The book just wasn't for me and I really was very confused half the time I was reading due to the backwards time line. Maybe I should take more time and reread again one day to see if I can better understand and enjoy the book more. Because, this time around I forced my self to finish the book due to the fact of me feeling guilty if I didn't give it a chance all the way to the end.

message 13: by Gianna (new)

Gianna (noveldepictions) | 13 comments I absolutely DESPISE the YA book Seven Days of You. I got it as an eARC from the authour (it was a debut) and I felt bad for giving it one star, but it was trash.

message 14: by dolly (new)

dolly (cryptided) a history of glitter and blood. worst book i've ever read

message 15: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (sherryisqueen) | 1 comments Valerie wrote: "Angelfall

Fahrenheit 451

The Time Machine"

Twilight

message 16: by Abbie (new)

Abbie | 243 comments Crown of Midnight.

message 17: by twicebaked (last edited Sep 03, 2018 06:26AM) (new)

twicebaked (twicebakedsmallpotatoes) Hunger Games
All The Light We Cannot See
Ember in the Ashes
Torch Against the Night

and the Lunar Chronicles were dumb and badly written but I didn't hate them.

message 18: by Amelia (new)

Amelia | 59 comments Atlas Shrugged Sociopathic BS. The worrying thing is that a relative bought it for me thinking I'd like it. Makes me wonder what on earth he thinks of me!

message 19: by Kevin. (new)

Kevin. McKernan | 6 comments Are you sure he thought you would like it or smart enough to see thru the BS

message 20: by Amelia (new)

Amelia | 59 comments Kevin. wrote: "Are you sure he thought you would like it or smart enough to see thru the BS"

I'd like to think so, but who knows?

message 21: by Alba (new)

Alba (albasr) | 1 comments Thoughtless

What a dumb protagonist...

message 22: by twicebaked (new)

twicebaked (twicebakedsmallpotatoes) that's weird, I just stumbled upon Atlas Shrugged today and then I saw your comment @Amelia. lol

message 23: by malayna (new)

malayna (malaynachang) | 14 comments agh
Black City
Will Grayson, Will Grayson

message 24: by Kevin. (new)

Kevin. McKernan | 6 comments Well Amelia. At least you did

message 25: by Yuener (new)

Yuener Xia | 6 comments I'm surprised no one said Sarah J. Maas yet HAHAHA oh god, her books are all about sex and her main characters are similar... @.@

message 26: by Ray (last edited Sep 06, 2018 05:29AM) (new)

Ray Jordan | 33 comments Somebody that I used to Know
Mercury Falls
Good Grief
I also hated The Sound and the Fury and I think Faukner was over-rated. I'm probably going to get a lot of flack for that last one.

message 27: by mina (new)

mina The first book that made me crazy this year was The Poison Artist.. and that wasn't the last.
The Sky is Falling & Tell Me Your Dreams by Sidney Sheldon.
A Man Called Ove, a majority loves this book but I couldn't finish it, read only 1/3.
Had the same case with The Husband's Secret, also couldn't finish it.

message 28: by Storjia (new)

Storjia | 5 comments Lincoln in the Bardo - Am I the only one here that feels this way?

message 29: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 2 comments I am 110% not a fan of the Throne of Glass series or any other of Maas' s books. No diversity. Wandering plot. Too many characters sleeping with each other. Not for me.

message 30: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Stefan Okay, so I am sure I am going to get some hate for this, but:

Throne of Glass

I am sorry but when you write a story centered around the most badass assassin in all the land, and she turns out to be a whiney, lazy, irritating, and unlikeable character instead, I just can't like the book.

message 31: by twicebaked (last edited Sep 07, 2018 10:15PM) (new)

twicebaked (twicebakedsmallpotatoes) haha yeah I've been hearing a lot about Throne of Glass lately...but I'm not even thinking about trying it because Ember in the Ashes was so gosh awful. Way too much slut and sleeze strutting their stuff.

message 32: by Evie (new)

Evie Loves (evieloves) The Husband's Secret- tried so hard to get through it, but I was hating it. It's still on my shelf, maybe I'll try again one day.

message 33: by Sassy Sedusa (new)

Sassy Sedusa | 1537 comments Sleeping Beauties- Stephen King
The Alchemist- Paulo Coelho
Fifty Shades Of Grey-by E L James (Though I still want to read the other two books Lol!)

(there might be more, those are just a few)

message 34: by Sharmi (new)

Sharmi (sharmi_a5) | 257 comments Matched series - Ally Condie
The Plot to Kill Hitler -Patricia McCormick

message 35: by atiya (new)

atiya (dandeliongal) I don't really hate books but goosebumps and it give me the shivers😱

message 36: by Amy (new)

Amy | 11 comments The Young Elites

message 37: by despina ☽ (new)

despina ☽ (taehyungbread) | 50 comments A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly

storytime-reviews | 43 comments Gone Girl
The Scarlet Letter
The Handmaid's Tale
Jane Eyre
Wuthering Heights
The Martian
Astrophysics For People In A Hurry
Heart of Darkness
Stardust
The Fault In Our Stars
The Perks of Being A Wallflower
The Secret History

These are just some of the over-hyped books that I despise for various reasons, usually due to the terrible writing.

message 39: by Markie (new)

Markie Hicks (markielynnhicksaolcom) | 21 comments Sixteen summer, in a dark dark wood

message 40: by twicebaked (new)

twicebaked (twicebakedsmallpotatoes) storytime-reviews wrote: "Gone Girl
The Scarlet Letter
The Handmaid's Tale
Jane Eyre
Wuthering Heights
The Martian
Astrophysics For People In A Hurry
Heart of Darkness
Stardust
The Fault In Our Stars
The Perks of Being A Wa..."

was Heart of Darkness due to terrible writing?

message 41: by Lyria (new)

Lyria E. (lefpol) | 117 comments The Twilighy Trilogy

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (although I'm a great Potterhead)

Wildwood Imperium

And all the books of Sarah J. Maas (I cannot think kne single reason she is best selling)

50 shades of Grey, Darker and Freed UGH

message 42: by Heather (new)

Heather The Guy Next Door and also Wedding Night by Meg Cabot....normally I like Her books but these 2 were so awful I could hardly read them. The Guy Next Door I had to quit on and I rarely do that.

message 43: by Aneeza (last edited Nov 17, 2018 08:23AM) (new)

message 44: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 392 comments I read a lot of terrible books, plot, characters, everything... that I very much dislike. But hate? The ones labelled as erotica/BDSM when it's just rape, like The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty, Captive Prince and others.

message 45: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) | 126 comments Gwyneth wrote: "A lot of these books I actually love 😂."

Same here! It’s really subjective whether you love or hate a book.

message 46: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (snicketypicket) Hmm, I really didn't like Finding Audrey and Shine by Lauren Myracle. And the last three books of the Maze Runner series, besides The Fever Code were just eh, but I didn't hate them.

message 47: by twicebaked (new)

twicebaked (twicebakedsmallpotatoes) freedom ♡ wrote: "The Twilighy Trilogy

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (although I'm a great Potterhead)

Wildwood Imperium

And all the books of Sarah J. Maas (I cannot think kne single reason she is best sellin..."

ugh every single one of these.

Cassie    'The Thinker Go Go Go Go' Mis. Roben Goodfellow'\Isabelle Lightwood (cassiecrow) | 160 comments Marked by PC and Kristen Cast (really the whole series)

50 Shades of Gery (couldn't even finish it!)

The Witch Boy

Raven Boys

message 49: by Jess (new)

Jess (divinereader_) | 6 comments The Hunger games trilogy. Really disappointed, I don't see the hype at all. The Scorpio Races, Holly Black books, and Gena Showalter books.

message 50: by Pam (new)

Pam Carmichael | 154 comments Catherine wrote: "I read a lot of terrible books, plot, characters, everything... that I very much dislike. But hate? The ones labelled as erotica/BDSM when it's just rape, like [book:The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty..."

I agree with you Catherine

« previous 1 3