Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Silk Is for Seduction (The Dressmakers, #1)
This topic is about Silk Is for Seduction
Buddy Reads > September Buddy Read - Silk is for Seduction (Bianca, MountainKat)

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

~KarenH~ | 8262 comments September Buddy Read

message 2: by MountainKat, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

MountainKat | 23475 comments Hi Bianca! Looking forward to reading with you in September. =)

I'm off to go check out your shelves now. If you want to check out mine, my to-read-asap shelf is my shortlist books.

Dylan (alwaysbringbooks) Hi! Same here!

I feel like my tbr shelf isn't updated lol.

Here are a couple that jumped out at me from your shortlist:

It's in His Kiss (Bridgertons, #7) by Julia Quinn

Van (Cold Fury Hockey, #9) by Sawyer Bennett

I'm trying to branch out a bit in my romance reading, so I'd be down to read other historical romance, too. These are a few that sound good to me:

Beauty Like the Night (Spymasters, # 6) by Joanna Bourne

A Daring Arrangement (The Four Hundred, #1) by Joanna Shupe

Highland Spitfire (Highland Weddings, #1) by Mary Wine

I'm not sure if I want to read PNR because they're usually darker and I'm not really in the mood for that right now.

What say you? :)

message 4: by MountainKat, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

MountainKat | 23475 comments You're not alone - life has gotten away from me the last few weeks and I am behind with my updating. Just the last few read books, but it was on my agenda to get that done this weekend. One was on your list though - I read It's in His Kiss earlier this month.

Van is definitely an option though - can't wait to read it!

Of the ones you suggested, Beauty Like the Night is out - I'm kind of obsessive about reading series in order and haven't read any of the series. The others might be ok - need to check out the audio samples. I have a really hard time reading historicals, they just work better in audio for me.

If you are looking for something lighter in PNR, I would suggest Eve Langlais, Shelly Laurenston or Molly Harper. The all write like light-hearted fun stories. I've read several series by Eve Langlais and they have been almost over the top funny, but she has lots more. I would also be interested in starting Shelly Laurenston's Mangus Pack series, starting with Pack Challenge - her books have lots of humor too. For Molly Harper, I haven't read either her Jane Jameson or Half-Moon Hollow series. I really liked the other books I've read by her, all of them really.

message 5: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

~KarenH~ | 8262 comments I'm poking my nose into the middle of your conversation here, but couldn't resist. If either (or both) of you are thinking about reading any Molly Harper, keep in mind that the Half-Moon Hollow series is a spin-off of the Jane Jameson series, so if you have issues with reading series out of order (Kat, you know I'm as obsessed with it as you are), you'll want to start with the Jane Jameson series!

message 6: by MountainKat, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

MountainKat | 23475 comments Thanks Karen, I didn’t look that closely! And you know it would have driven me crazy... 😅

message 7: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

~KarenH~ | 8262 comments I found out the hard way... =(

message 8: by MountainKat, Moderator (last edited Aug 27, 2018 07:07PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

MountainKat | 23475 comments ~KarenH~ wrote: "I found out the hard way... =("

I'm sorry, I know how bad that is!

message 9: by MountainKat, Moderator (last edited Aug 26, 2018 09:51PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

MountainKat | 23475 comments Another idea - I have Silk Is for Seduction by Loretta Chase planned for the Featured Author Challenge in September. We could knock off two challenges at once with that - I love to multitask like that!

message 10: by Dylan (last edited Aug 27, 2018 06:05AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dylan (alwaysbringbooks) I totally understand. I didn't even realize I'd chosen a book in the middle of a series ha. I also have a hard time getting through historicals and prefer the audio.

Both Van and Silk Is for Seduction sound good to me! You choose. Or we could read both. :)

Dylan (alwaysbringbooks) I would also happily read the first book in Molly Harper's Jane Jameson series, Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs. It sounds a bit like the Chicagoland Vampires series by Chloe Neill, which I've enjoyed.

Dylan (alwaysbringbooks) I would also read Moving Maverick lol. I haven't read any m/m in a while.

message 13: by MountainKat, Moderator (last edited Aug 27, 2018 07:13PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

MountainKat | 23475 comments Both Van and Moving Maverick are in the middle of the series if that matters to you. Silk Is for Seduction is first in the series.

But any of the three are good for me!

Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs is fine too, but I would put it last of the four. Mostly because life has been crazy and I am trying not to start new series - I make an exception for the FAC because I'm weird and always want to do that challenge.

Dylan (alwaysbringbooks) I don't mind reading series out of order (unless doing so is confusing).

I vote Silk Is for Seduction!

message 15: by MountainKat, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

MountainKat | 23475 comments Sounds great!

Dylan (alwaysbringbooks) Sweet! When do you want to start? The 1st or after?

message 17: by MountainKat, Moderator (last edited Aug 31, 2018 12:15PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

MountainKat | 23475 comments Sorry, I have been away from my computer and didn't get a notification for this on my phone - weird!

I can start anytime. The first is good, but it would probably be a slower start for me. Audiobooks on the weekend can be a little hit or miss since my hubby isn't working. But he has tons of projects going so I imagine I could get a fair amount of listening in. =)

How do you like to read? Just read and comment as we go if there is something notable? Just letting the other know where we are, chapter or page or whatever, and using spoiler tags if necessary. Or do you prefer to read a set number of chapters and then discuss?

Dylan (alwaysbringbooks) I'm fine with however when it comes to reading and discussing. What about you? How do you want to read the book?

Sorry I'm just now responding. I didn't get a notification either.

Dylan (alwaysbringbooks) I'll be listening to the audiobook as well! I just borrowed it from the library.

message 20: by MountainKat, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

MountainKat | 23475 comments I thought I commented here, but obviously didn't...

I'm about 20% so far and it's ok. I just haven't gotten sucked in yet and it is easy to put down. I do have some forced listening time in the car tomorrow, maybe that will get me more involved.

Dylan (alwaysbringbooks) Same here, although I don't think I'm even 20% in yet.

message 22: by MountainKat, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

MountainKat | 23475 comments I finished it today. How are you doing with it? I'll hold my comments until you are done, but I better go write them down in my review or I will forget it all by tomorrow!

Dylan (alwaysbringbooks) I'm so sorry I've been MIA! Life has been crazy, but I finished.

I liked it fine, I think. It was ok. I think I'm not the right audience for historicals lol.

Dylan (alwaysbringbooks) That's partly why it took me so long to finish.

message 25: by MountainKat, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

MountainKat | 23475 comments I figured real life got you! And when you aren't in the mood for something, it can take forever to read it!

It was ok for me, but I found it slow to grab my attention and way too easy to walk away from. In the end, I liked the characters and the story, even though it was predictable and unbelievable. Once I got into it, I just went with it.

Certainly not my favorite or even favorite historical, but ok.