Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Her Last Word (Criminal Profiler #2)
This topic is about Her Last Word
Buddy Reads > September Buddy Read - Her Last Word (Kim, George)

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 8262 comments September Buddy Read

message 2: by George (last edited Sep 10, 2018 07:05PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

George  (georgeml) | 23 comments We are reading Mary Burton's Her Last Word.

We originally communicated through messaging, and just realized we were supposed to use our specific Buddy Read folder. Below is our conversation to this point.

George  (georgeml) | 23 comments Kim said to you:
Thank you for being willing to move the chat. I am headed to read a couple of chapters now. Excited. 9 hours, 26 min ago
view | save | trash
83221911 you said to Kim:
Just read Interview File #17 w/Tom Davenport. I'm really suspicious!!! Let me know what you think about Davenport's role in all the events. 16 hours, 1 min ago
view | delete
I'm slightly ahead of you, as I am past chapter 14. Wow!!! what a book. Haywood is clearly involved, but the person killing now doesn't seem to be Gina's killer, based on a few comments he made. I agree with you about Haywood's friends being involved, but who??? And the cops really think Kaitlin is working with Haywood and stabbed herself?? I'm bothered that no one (except perhaps Kaitlin) has figured out the white lilies.

I think we are actually supposed to have these discussions in our buddy reads folder: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

If you agree, we can move further discussion to that folder, and I can copy our current thread to that folder. What do you think? 21 hours, 59 min ago
view | delete
F 25x33 Kim said to you:
Yes. They are intense. I am really enjoying this one. I reading chapter 14. Who do you think killed Gina? I think Haywood and his friends were involved. Sep 09, 2018 04:30PM
view | save | trash
Are Mary Burton's other crime romance novels as intense as this one (Her Last Word)? I'll probably start up again with this book tomorrow. I'm also reading Barbara Longley's Perfect , Indiana book 3, and can probably finish it today, leaving part of tomorrow to get back to our book. It is going to be hard not to get into a reading marathon with Her Last Word! Sep 05, 2018 10:53AM
view | delete
F 25x33 Kim said to you:
I started last night. Wow. What a beginning? I asked the same question is the same killer or different? I am up to the questioning of her boss/friend with benefits. Sep 05, 2018 09:25AM
view | save | trash
I read a few chapters this morning and was blown away. Romance novel? Reminded me of Patricia Cornwell's early Kay Scarpetta crime fiction novels! I had to reread the prologue a couple of times to get characters straight. This is a book I could consume in one day. I'm going to pace myself and not read any more today. I made it up to Interview File #6 and will NOT read any more of this book until tomorrow.

Wonder if the guy under the bed is the original killer? From his statements he may not be, but then again.... And how does the ex-boyfriend Randy fit into the original abduction? Don't think I'll see white tulips in a different way for a while... Sep 04, 2018 08:59AM
view | delete
Sorry it took all day to respond - I was working on installing molding and baseboards in the house.

Read the blurb on the book, and it looks great! How fast/slow do you want to read the book? I can get through a book in 2 days if I really like it, or can slow the pace down a lot. How often do you want to comment to each other about the book? Daily? Every three days? Once a week?

Let me know!

I'm finishing a book tonight, and plan to start on Her Last Word on Tuesday. Sep 03, 2018 07:14PM
view | delete
F 25x33 Kim said to you:
Good morning,
What about Her Last Words by Mary Burton? I have not read this one. Sep 03, 2018 05:01AM
view | save | trash
Looks like it's between Mary Burton and Karen Rose. Let's go with Mary Burton, and you pick the book, as I don't want to pick one you have read.

Based on the three authors you suggested, you may want to check out Julie James's FBI/US Attorney series (I'm assuming you haven't read any of her books). I've read two of the FBI/US Attorney series and one of her independent novels - really liked all three.

Looking forward to reading a new author, and sharing thoughts about the book! Sep 01, 2018 11:14AM
view | delete
I'll look into the three you suggested and pick one. I'll get back to you in a few days. Aug 28, 2018 02:33PM
view | delete
F 25x33 Kim said to you:
I have not read any of Susan Wiggs of Jamie Beck so I am open to any you choose. Mary Burton, Cynthia Eden, and Karen Rose are great suspense romance writers as well. Your choice. Aug 28, 2018 01:05PM
view | save | trash
sorry for the delay in responding! Classes started up and I've been swamped. In the adult contemporary, I prefer mystery/suspense/drama. I'm not too keen on excessive use of over the top physical descriptions of chiseled, hunky, yummy, etc., especially when it detracts from the story line. Some physical descriptions are OK. If you are familiar with Jamie Beck or Susan Wiggs, I love their writing (there are some of Ms. Wiggs books I have not yet read). Although Shelly Alexander uses excessive physical description, I enjoy her writing and I like that she has discussion questions at the end of the book. Julie James can also use excessive descriptions, but I really like her writing, and I've only read a couple of them.

What about you? Preferred types of adult romance? Any favorite authors whose catalog you haven't finished? I'm up for discovering other authors, and the choices are overwhelming to me (I just started reading romance novels this past April). Aug 28, 2018 09:27AM
view | delete
F 25x33 Kim said to you:
Hello. What type of romance do you like to read? Aug 26, 2018 08:45AM
view | save | trash
I see we are paired up, and share similar reading interests. Any suggestion for an author or book? I like Jamie Beck, Susan Wiggs, and Julie James, among others. I'm open to suggestions, as i only started reading romance novels a few mmonths ago. Aug 25, 2018 06:09PM
view | delete
I see we are paired up, and share similar reading interests. Any suggestion for an author or book? I like Jamie Beck, Susan Wiggs, and Julie James, among others. I'm open to suggestions, as i only started reading romance novels a few mmonths ago.

Thank you for being willing to move the chat. I am headed to read a couple of chapters now. Excited. 9 hours, 26 min ago
view | save | trash
Just read Interview File #17 w/Tom Davenport. I'm really suspicious!!! Let me know what you think about Davenport's role in all the events. 16 hours, 1 min ago
view | delete
I'm slightly ahead of you, as I am past chapter 14. Wow!!! what a book. Haywood is clearly involved, but the person killing now doesn't seem to be Gina's killer, based on a few comments he made. I agree with you about Haywood's friends being involved, but who??? And the cops really think Kaitlin is working with Haywood and stabbed herself?? I'm bothered that no one (except perhaps Kaitlin) has figured out the white lilies.

I think we are actually supposed to have these discussions in our buddy reads folder: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

If you agree, we can move further discussion to that folder, and I can copy our current thread to that folder. What do you think? 21 hours, 59 min ago
view | delete
F 25x33 Kim said to you:
Yes. They are intense. I am really enjoying this one. I reading chapter 14. Who do you think killed Gina? I think Haywood and his friends were involved. Sep 09, 2018 04:30PM
view | save | trash
Are Mary Burton's other crime romance novels as intense as this one (Her Last Word)? I'll probably start up again with this book tomorrow. I'm also reading Barbara Longley's Perfect , Indiana book 3, and can probably finish it today, leaving part of tomorrow to get back to our book. It is going to be hard not to get into a reading marathon with Her Last Word! Sep 05, 2018 10:53AM
view | delete
F 25x33 Kim said to you:
I started last night. Wow. What a beginning? I asked the same question is the same killer or different? I am up to the questioning of her boss/friend with benefits. Sep 05, 2018 09:25AM
view | save | trash
I read a few chapters this morning and was blown away. Romance novel? Reminded me of Patricia Cornwell's early Kay Scarpetta crime fiction novels! I had to reread the prologue a couple of times to get characters straight. This is a book I could consume in one day. I'm going to pace myself and not read any more today. I made it up to Interview File #6 and will NOT read any more of this book until tomorrow.

Wonder if the guy under the bed is the original killer? From his statements he may not be, but then again.... And how does the ex-boyfriend Randy fit into the original abduction? Don't think I'll see white tulips in a different way for a while... Sep 04, 2018 08:59AM
view | delete
Sorry it took all day to respond - I was working on installing molding and baseboards in the house.

Read the blurb on the book, and it looks great! How fast/slow do you want to read the book? I can get through a book in 2 days if I really like it, or can slow the pace down a lot. How often do you want to comment to each other about the book? Daily? Every three days? Once a week?

Let me know!

I'm finishing a book tonight, and plan to start on Her Last Word on Tuesday. Sep 03, 2018 07:14PM
view | delete
F 25x33 Kim said to you:
Good morning,
What about Her Last Words by Mary Burton? I have not read this one. Sep 03, 2018 05:01AM
view | save | trash
Looks like it's between Mary Burton and Karen Rose. Let's go with Mary Burton, and you pick the book, as I don't want to pick one you have read.

Based on the three authors you suggested, you may want to check out Julie James's FBI/US Attorney series (I'm assuming you haven't read any of her books). I've read two of the FBI/US Attorney series and one of her independent novels - really liked all three.

Looking forward to reading a new author, and sharing thoughts about the book! Sep 01, 2018 11:14AM
view | delete
I'll look into the three you suggested and pick one. I'll get back to you in a few days. Aug 28, 2018 02:33PM
view | delete
F 25x33 Kim said to you:
I have not read any of Susan Wiggs of Jamie Beck so I am open to any you choose. Mary Burton, Cynthia Eden, and Karen Rose are great suspense romance writers as well. Your choice. Aug 28, 2018 01:05PM
view | save | trash
sorry for the delay in responding! Classes started up and I've been swamped. In the adult contemporary, I prefer mystery/suspense/drama. I'm not too keen on excessive use of over the top physical descriptions of chiseled, hunky, yummy, etc., especially when it detracts from the story line. Some physical descriptions are OK. If you are familiar with Jamie Beck or Susan Wiggs, I love their writing (there are some of Ms. Wiggs books I have not yet read). Although Shelly Alexander uses excessive physical description, I enjoy her writing and I like that she has discussion questions at the end of the book. Julie James can also use excessive descriptions, but I really like her writing, and I've only read a couple of them.

What about you? Preferred types of adult romance? Any favorite authors whose catalog you haven't finished? I'm up for discovering other authors, and the choices are overwhelming to me (I just started reading romance novels this past April). Aug 28, 2018 09:27AM
view | delete
F 25x33 Kim said to you:
view | save | trash
I see we are paired up, and share similar reading interests. Any suggestion for an author or book? I like Jamie Beck, Susan Wiggs, and Julie James, among others. I'm open to suggestions, as i only started reading romance novels a few mmonths ago. Aug 25, 2018 06:09PM
view | delete
I see we are paired up, and share similar reading interests. Any suggestion for an author or book? I like Jamie Beck, Susan Wiggs, and Julie James, among others. I'm open to suggestions, as i only started reading romance novels a few mmonths ago.

view | save | trash
view | delete

view | delete
F 25x33 Kim said to you:
view | save | trash
view | delete
F 25x33 Kim said to you:
view | save | trash

view | delete

Let me know!

view | delete
F 25x33 Kim said to you:
Good morning,
view | save | trash

view | delete
view | delete
F 25x33 Kim said to you:
view | save | trash

view | delete
F 25x33 Kim said to you:
view | save | trash
view | delete

message 6: by George (last edited Sep 12, 2018 10:28AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

George  (georgeml) | 23 comments from: Kim
to: 83221911 George
subject: re: September challenge

I finished the book. I had started to wonder about the reporter. Really good book and would definitely recommend it
Your choice for the next book

George  (georgeml) | 23 comments Until nearly the end, I was banking upon tom Davenport, Gina's high school boyfriend. I could see him saying the things the bad guy said, especially about making the two women he murdered pay for not helping/saving Gina. In retrospect, however the author did give a lot of small clues that the reporter Marcus was the killer. Kind of kicked myself for not seeing it earlier, but that's what a great writer can do. And, I've never read any romance novel where romance doesn't appear until 90% of the way in!

Like you, I recommend this book, and put it on my BoookBub recommended list.

I've got two suggestions for the next book:

1. Julie James's "About That Night (FBI/US attorney Book 3)". Crime-based, and I've read books 1 and 2. Books 1 and 2 took about 25-30% setting up the story before the woman and man meet.
2. Susan Wiggs's "The Apple Orchard", a more traditions romance novel. I loved her Lakeshore Chronicles novels, as well as the stand along "Table for Five". (If you go with Susan Wiggs but are not enthused by "The Apple Orchard", you could pick another or even one I have read.)

My favorite romance author is Jamie Beck, but I've read all her novels and the next isn't out until the end of October.

message 8: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim (kimlovestoread74) I did not like Blackstone and was glad he was being arrested as well.

I like the summary for Julie James's book. Let's read that one next.

I found it at the library. Will start tonight.

George  (georgeml) | 23 comments Yeah, all three of those guys were pretty sad characters. I'll buy Julie James for my Kindle right now. I'm not surprised you chose her, as her novels are much more similar to Mary Burton's work.

George  (georgeml) | 23 comments Kim:

About That Night

Until I started reading the Julie James "About That Night" book this morning, I didn't realize it was unlike the first two books. Although there was some overlap of characters between books 1 and 2, book 3 is a continuation of book 2, with the focus changing from Jordan to her twin brother Kyle. The Assistant US Attorney is a new character. I think book 3 gives enough background to understand what is going on without having to read book 2, but there seems to be less setup of the story in book 3 before the two leads interact.

George  (georgeml) | 23 comments Kim:

Any reading progress or thoughts on "About That Night"?