Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

The Space in Between (The Space in Between, #1)
This topic is about The Space in Between
Buddy Reads > September Buddy Read - The Space in Between (Ezinwanyi, Reyne)

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 8262 comments September Buddy Read

Reyne Clark (reyne1) | 25 comments Thank you..

Reyne Clark (reyne1) | 25 comments I'm new, but looking forward to discussing what will hopefully be a good book... open to suggestions as to what you would like, Ezinwanyi...

message 4: by Ezi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Reyne wrote: "I'm new, but looking forward to discussing what will hopefully be a good book... open to suggestions as to what you would like, Ezinwanyi..."

The Space in Between (The Space in Between, #1) by Brittainy C. Cherry

Reyne Clark (reyne1) | 25 comments That's one of only 2 of Brittainy C. Cherry I haven't read so good call... or the other one, Disgrace, would work too...would you like to start September 1st? We can discuss as we go or after we finish... but I will probably have it read in 2 days...let ne know what you would like...

message 6: by Ezi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Reyne wrote: "That's one of only 2 of Brittainy C. Cherry I haven't read so good call... or the other one, Disgrace, would work too...would you like to start September 1st? We can discuss as we go or after we fi..."

Sorry I've been MIA. I went out of town for Business and then Labor Day vacation with the family.

I got both The Space in Between (The Space in Between, #1) by Brittainy C. Cherry and Disgrace by Brittainy C. Cherry on audio.

I kind of want to read Disgrace first. Whatever you want though

Reyne Clark (reyne1) | 25 comments No problem... I've been reading other things that were on my TBR list, so no worries... Disgrace sounds good... I've been wanting to read it for a bit...we could actually do both this month if you have the time...I have an ARC I need to read tomorrow, but I should be able to start on it in the next two or three days...

message 8: by Ezi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Sounds like a plan. Let’s do both!

Reyne Clark (reyne1) | 25 comments Nice!

message 10: by Ezi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments I just started.
Both characters have a pretty sad first chapter. 😬😬😬
Andrea: (view spoiler)
Cooper: (view spoiler)

message 11: by Ezi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Chapter 6: we are getting a little more background to Cooper’s marriage. (view spoiler)

message 12: by Ezi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments These two (view spoiler)

message 13: by Ezi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments I didn’t want to diss Iris since we don’t really know anything about her but Cooper’s mom seemed to like her. So she was at least nice to Cooper’s mom.

That visit though was sad as it’s hard to see your parents doing bad 😒

message 14: by Ezi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments I have to say this book feels like something I’ve read before or read something really similar.

Do you wonder why Andrea never tried or discussed or thought if finding a job dancing for a company since that was her thing before the accident? There are so many dancing troupes in NYC. It doesn’t seem like that even entered her mind and I thought she would miss it more

Reyne Clark (reyne1) | 25 comments I at chapter 3 so far...I can truly empathize with both Andrea and Cooper... I can't imagine going through either situation...

message 16: by Ezi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Reyne wrote: "I at chapter 3 so far...I can truly empathize with both Andrea and Cooper... I can't imagine going through either situation..."

It’s sad for different reasons.
One is a permanence to the loss
The other is a growing apart or drifting apart due to life struggles.

I can’t help but feel bad that Cooper hasn’t been introspective about his role in his marriage implosion. I can tell Iris was crying out for attention and he just wasn’t emotionally available to her for whatever reason.
2 miscarriages in a four year marriage is a lot!!! I don’t think they really had time to build up a good foundation before they lost hose pregnancies.

Cooper seems to have given himself to his childhood crush rather than face his marriage woes.

Reyne Clark (reyne1) | 25 comments I agree! I'm at chapter 15 and I keep thinking they are setting themselves up for extreme heart break... they both have so much unfinished business they need to deal with...and they are moving way too fast... I wonder if Iris sought out an affair specifically to get pregnant since she failed with Cooper... and does she hold that against him for some reason?

Reyne Clark (reyne1) | 25 comments And I also don't understand why Andrea didn't try to get a different job related to dance, as well... it's like she didn't even try ... she just accepted what her friend did for her without doing anything for herself...

message 19: by Ezi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Reyne wrote: "I agree! I'm at chapter 15 and I keep thinking they are setting themselves up for extreme heart break... they both have so much unfinished business they need to deal with...and they are moving way ..."

I knew the author would bail them out by painting their old partners as "bad" "faithless" or sullying them in some way.
Iris is this attention hungry person who wants money and TV exposure
Derek is a cheater

I thought that wasn't really fair. WE didn't get to know them before. What if Andrea cheated before, we don't know that.
Clearly Cooper has had a crush on her forever so his whole heart may not have been in his marriage.

Also, the racist undertones with the bestfriend LaDasha is unsettling

Reyne Clark (reyne1) | 25 comments Ok... so I'm done... I have mixed feelings about this book... I truly loved all the other books by Brittainy Cherry, but this one was a hard one... I gave it 4 stars because I did enjoy it, but some of it was just...ugh .. I felt all the loose ends tied up a little too nicely...and some of the characters were a bit much for me... I enjoyed Andrea and Cooper, but they also frustrated me...and I agree that the racist undertones were unsettling...I feel like the author's writing has grown immensely since she wrote this book...

message 21: by Ezi (last edited Sep 14, 2018 07:26AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments I was more like a 3 to 3.5stars
I think we could have gotten to this ending without character assassination of Derek or even Iris.
I didn’t like that.
I also found LaDasha to be a stereotype and how she and Eric found Love was too convenient

Reyne Clark (reyne1) | 25 comments I definitely agree with both comments... I thought it too abrupt how Cooper had so much hate toward Iris and then towards the end she magically came around to be so amicable after her attempts at sabotaging Andrea's life and he was suddenly so forgiving...and the whole relationship between LaDasha and Eric seemed rushed and too tidy...are we reading Disgrace too?

message 23: by Ezi (last edited Sep 14, 2018 02:54PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Reyne wrote: "I definitely agree with both comments... I thought it too abrupt how Cooper had so much hate toward Iris and then towards the end she magically came around to be so amicable after her attempts at s..."

I do want to read Disgrace. It looks like it will be a better audiobook :D

Can we do it next week-ish?
Here is the thread: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...