The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP: Fall Challenge 2018 > 25.1 - Andy P's task: A Quick Look at Asian Sport

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Aug 27, 2018 06:19AM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 5362 comments Mod
25.1 - Andy P's task: A Quick Look at Asian Sport
In the early 1980's our family moved to Japan for my husband's job. At that time our son was 8 and our daughter was 9 months old. Our daughter was jokingly called our Amerasian child by friends and relatives as she grew up surrounded by Japanese people, absorbed their culture as her own., and spoke Japanese before she spoke English. Her favorite television show was entitled Okaasan to isho which translates into English as Together with Mother. This was what she watched while her American counterparts were enjoying Sesame Street.

A problem arose roughly four times a year when HER PROGRAM was preempted by the National Sumo Tournament. She was incensed that HER SHOW was not on for roughly two weeks and made sure the rest of the family was aware of her displeasure.
In keeping with this season's sports theme I am honoring the sport of Sumo as her toddler self would have wanted.

Overall guidelines for this task:
1. This is a two book task. Please choose a book that fits the criteria for Book 1, and another which fits the criteria for Book 2.
2. All books must be written by a single author.
3. No book with children's or Kids as a main page genre may be used for this task.
4. The page number total for both books must exceed 600 i.e. must be 601 or greater.

Book 1. Read a book in which none of the letters in SUMO are in the author's name as indicated on the GRs main page of the book.

Book 2. In honor of Okaasan to isho which has three different vowels when transliterated into English, read a book whose TITLE contains 3 different vowels and no more than that. The three vowels may appear any number of times. Y is not considered a vowel for the purpose of this task. Subtitles should be ignored.
Ex: The Silence of the Girls (vowels: EIO, no A or U); Rosewater (AEO, no I or U)

message 2: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3685 comments As my two year old granddaughter says: This is mine

message 3: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3685 comments And this is mine too.

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 5362 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7913 comments You always keep us on our toes Andy!

message 6: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 1544 comments Andy, I LOVE your task!

message 7: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7913 comments just sanity checking - Rogue would work for option 2 (OUE as the vowels); as would Fade to Black (AEO)

message 8: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 1072 comments So Funny Andy-recovering from surgery and this is the first smile I have all day-Thank you!

message 9: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3685 comments Dee wrote: "just sanity checking - Rogue would work for option 2 (OUE as the vowels); as would Fade to Black (AEO)"
Looks good to Me. Have at it
Andy

message 10: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3685 comments Joanne wrote: "So Funny Andy-recovering from surgery and this is the first smile I have all day-Thank you!"
Glad to be of Service,Hope your recovery goes well.
Andy

message 11: by Karolyn (new)

Karolyn | 42 comments For option 2... if the book has a subtitle, do we need to include it?

For example.... The Reluctant Mr. Darwin: An Intimate Portrait of Charles Darwin and the Making of His Theory of Evolution should fit with the main title only (A, E, I) but not if the subtitle has to be included. Thanks!

message 12: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3685 comments Karolyn wrote: "For option 2... if the book has a subtitle, do we need to include it?

For example.... [book:The Reluctant Mr. Darwin: An Intimate Portrait of Charles Darwin and the Making of His Theory of Evolut..."

As stated in the task description, Subtitles are not considered in this task, but the title contains E,A,U, and I which makes four vowels so it won't work for the task.