The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP: Fall Challenge 2018 > 30.1 - Ava Catherine's task: Southeastern Conference (SEC) Football

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Sep 28, 2018 04:45AM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 5366 comments Mod
30.1 - Ava Catherine’s task: Southeastern Conference (SEC) Football

This is a two book task. Read one book from two different options.

REQUIRED: Identify which options you select when you post.
No books with the genre Childrens or Kids may be used.

Only in the American South does football game day trump any and all events. There is an old saying that in the South football is religion, and every Saturday is a holy day.

Option 1: SEC Teams
There are 14 SEC teams, so read a book FIRST published in a year containing the numerals 1 and 4 in the publication date. (Examples: 1845, 1942, 1944, 2014)

Option 2: Author
Read a book written by an author whose first and last name initials can be found in the words SEC CONFERENCE . Middle name initials may be ignored. Letters may only be used as often as they appear. Spaces determine name. One qualifying author in a work by multiple contributors works.

Option 3: Tailgating
Although Southern football fans have no monopoly on tailgating, we do have a much longer season to enjoy it. While Eastern and Midwestern fans are shivering beneath heavy coats, Southerners are happily enjoying pregame chicken in light jackets or short sleeves.
Success of the football teams seems to have little to do with the popularity of tailgating. Everyone loves a party whether the team is winning or not.
Read a book with a picture of food on the cover. It must be food that is ready to eat.
REQUIRED: include cover in post
Ex. works: Blackberry Wine by Joanne Harris Layered Baking, Building, and Styling Spectacular Cakes by Tessa Huff
does not work: Blood, Bones, and Butter The Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef by Gabrielle Hamilton

Option 4: The South
Read a book set at least 50% in one of the SEC states: Alabama, Arkansas, Florida. Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas (all in USA), or by an author born or currently living in one of these states.
REQUIRED: If it is not apparent from the description or metadata, please provide a reference for the setting or author’s birthplace/current location.

Option 5: Sports Culture
The sports culture of the SEC is immersed in history and tradition.
Read a non-fiction book with a mpg sports, sports and games, recreation, or history. This may be stand alone or embedded.

message 2: by Ava Catherine (last edited Sep 11, 2018 09:27AM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 1544 comments Option 1:
Approved years: 1944, 1941, 1942, 1845, 2014

message 3: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 1544 comments *

message 4: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 1544 comments *

message 5: by SRC Moderator (new)

This thread is now open!

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7922 comments Nice task! Even if i’m An ACC girl!

message 7: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1026 comments Big 12 woman here, but I cheer for an SEC team during football season (A&M) because my brother went there. :-)

Since blackberries are approved in the example you showed, I take it that means strawberries would also be okay? The Strawberry Hearts Diner by Carolyn Brown

message 8: by Ava Catherine (last edited Aug 24, 2018 08:57PM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 1544 comments Brooke wrote: "Big 12 woman here, but I cheer for an SEC team during football season (A&M) because my brother went there. :-)

Since blackberries are approved in the example you showed, I take it that means straw..."

Love Big 12 teams since I grew up in Texas. Nothing like Texas! We love having A&M in the SEC.

Strawberries are great! You are approved.

message 9: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 1544 comments Dee wrote: "Nice task! Even if i’m An ACC girl!"

Thanks, Dee.

message 10: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) Being a Kentucky fan, I have to say I love this task, even though UK is not known for its football program!

message 11: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4264 comments I am a big SEC fan! So...I am going to enjoy finding books for this task.

message 12: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2749 comments Pam wrote: "Being a Kentucky fan, I have to say I love this task, even though UK is not known for its football program!"

the UK is football mad in my opinion

message 13: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) Marie (UK) wrote: "Pam wrote: "Being a Kentucky fan, I have to say I love this task, even though UK is not known for its football program!"

the UK is football mad in my opinion"

I agree Marie! I was referring to the University of Kentucky, the other UK.

message 14: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2749 comments Pam wrote: "Marie (UK) wrote: "Pam wrote: "Being a Kentucky fan, I have to say I love this task, even though UK is not known for its football program!"

I agree Marie! I ..."

HaHa I always get things wrong

message 15: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Marie (UK) wrote: "Pam wrote: "Marie (UK) wrote: "Pam wrote: "Being a Kentucky fan, I have to say I love this task, even though UK is not known for its football program!"

I agr..."

Well when i first saw this task i saw 'American south' as 'South American' and nodded over the religion bit.

It took a while to click that I had the wrong continent and the wrong sport.

message 16: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 1544 comments Marie and Nicola, that is so funny and makes me chuckle. I think the world is mad about football and most other sports, too.

message 17: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments It was the term 'football' that threw me. For much of the world which isn't the US 'football' is soccer and it's definitely a religion in in South America!

message 18: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 1544 comments I know about football=soccer in much of the world, and the fans are avid.
Soccer is huge in the US, too, but it hasn’t reached the heights of some other areas. Like UK ,South America, Europe, and Japan.

message 19: by Jenifer (new)

Jenifer (jensamaha) | 365 comments Do chocolate chips count as ready to eat food? I know my teenager daughter likes to eat them straight out of the bag. lol

Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #1) by Joanne Fluke

message 20: by Jenifer (new)

Jenifer (jensamaha) | 365 comments Oh, actually, I just realized that the audiobook I'm borrowing from the library has this cover which has actual cookies on it.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #1) by Joanne Fluke

message 21: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 1544 comments Jenifer wrote: "Do chocolate chips count as ready to eat food? I know my teenager daughter likes to eat them straight out of the bag. lol

Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #1) by Joanne Fluke"

Yes, they work. Yum! Approved for option 3.

message 22: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 1544 comments Jenifer wrote: "Oh, actually, I just realized that the audiobook I'm borrowing from the library has this cover which has actual cookies on it.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #1) by Joanne Fluke"

Either one will work.

message 23: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2579 comments re option 1: the examples make me thing that only one of each 1 & 4 is allowed? is this right or is e.g. 1941 / 1944 etc OK?

(I get that 1911 would not work due to no 4)

message 24: by Ava Catherine (last edited Sep 11, 2018 09:25AM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 1544 comments You may use more than one of the required numerals 1&4, so 1944 is allowed since the required 1 and 4 are included. Likewise, 1941 is approved.

message 25: by Andrea (new)

Andrea I don't understand the year requirement as the example includes 2011 - is that a typo?

Option 1: SEC Teams
There are 14 SEC teams, so read a book FIRST published in a year containing the numerals 1 and 4 in the publication date. (Examples: 1845, 1942, 1944, 2011, 2014)

message 26: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 1544 comments Yes, 2011 is not correct because there is no 4. Thanks for catching that!

message 27: by SRC Moderator (new)

Fixed!

message 28: by Pat (new)

Pat (peakles) | 161 comments Is a middle initial the only initial that can be ignored?
I've read a book by J. Courtney Sullivan and wondered if the first initial can be ignored so I can use CS for SEC CONFERENCE.

message 29: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 1544 comments Pat wrote: "Is a middle initial the only initial that can be ignored?
I've read a book by J. Courtney Sullivan and wondered if the first initial can be ignored so I can use CS for SEC CONFERENCE."

Only middle initials may be ignored. Maybe you can use this book for another task. Sorry I didn’t see your question sooner.

message 30: by Marie-Anne (new)

Marie-Anne | 703 comments Could I have Dying To Get Published by Judy Fitzwater approved for option 4. The mystery plays entirely in the state of Georgia (Macon and Atlanta). The main character lives in Macon, Georgia. Some of the action takes place in Atlanta, Georgia. I found it difficult to officially document the setting, other than through

message 31: by Ava Catherine (last edited Nov 20, 2018 02:44PM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 1544 comments Marie-Anne wrote: "Could I have Dying To Get Published by Judy Fitzwater approved for option 4. The mystery plays entirely in the state of Georgia (Macon and Atlanta). The main character lives in Macon..."

approved for option 4

I read reviews online and skimmed a copy of the book to determine setting.

message 32: by Marie-Anne (new)

Marie-Anne | 703 comments Connie (Ava Catherine) wrote: "Marie-Anne wrote: "Could I have Dying To Get Published by Judy Fitzwater approved for option 4. The mystery plays entirely in the state of Georgia (Macon and Atlanta). The main chara..."

Thanks!