Horror Aficionados discussion

The Cabin at the End of the World
This topic is about The Cabin at the End of the World
Audio Group Listens > September Group Listen- The Cabin at the end of the World

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Latasha (latasha513) | 11291 comments Mod
Our September listen is The Cabin at the End of the World. Please remember to use spoiler tags and enjoy!

Elisa Gonzalez | 2 comments I’m going to give this one a try, even though I didn’t love “Head Full of Ghosts” I’m hoping the author’s little girl character is significantly less annoying in this book, haha!

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 6458 comments Mod
Just read this one--officially my "favorite" book of his! (Didn't really care for Head Full of Ghosts)...

Alan | 5558 comments Mod
Just finished reading this. One of the best books, if not the best book of the year.

Alan wrote: "Just finished reading this. One of the best books, if not the best book of the year."

:D

Ok! I’m going to listen too.

message 7: by Lena (new)

Lena | 2496 comments Scribd had this audiobook as of 9/2!

Greg | 382 comments Just finished this as well. I enjoyed it. Also enjoyed HFoG but didn’t care as much for Disappearance at Devils Rock.

Greg | 382 comments First time I’ve read all of the group reads and listens for the month

Greg wrote: "First time I’ve read all of the group reads and listens for the month"

It's happened a few times for me--but not as often when the group listen is ALSO one I've read...

Sarah-Grace (Azrael865) (sarah-grace) | 185 comments I use Scribd, I will join in.😊

message 12: by JP (new)

JP | 6 comments Nice, have my copy on my TBR pile. I really like Tremblay, I'm in.

Taylor Jenkins (taylorjenkins) | 2 comments Didn’t listen, but just finished reading it tonight. Enjoyed it a lot... my favorite of his so far.

ElleEm | 155 comments Greg wrote: "First time I’ve read all of the group reads and listens for the month"

Same here, Greg. I will look forward to the discussion.

ElleEm | 155 comments I just finished this book a few days ago and it is sticking with me. I found it very unsettling. (view spoiler)

Maura (mauraps) | 32 comments I read this and enjoyed it; looking forward to hearing what everyone thinks of it!

message 17: by Ian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ian Kelly (kellyie) I recently read this one, but probably won't listen. Really only do audiobooks for a long drive.

Not what I was expecting, and my first book from this author. Really came out of nowhere and stuck to the weird. Thought there would be a bit more "was it real or not" but it seems to have stuck to the (view spoiler) ending.

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments Started this one a little early because I had just fished another audiobook and was caught up on podcasts. Not far enough in to have formed an opinion yet, but I have liked his previous work.

message 19: by Philtrum (new)

Philtrum | 10 comments I read this over the course of a few days, so it kept my attention more than most, but it was with a gradually sinking heart that I read the last third. Apologies to anyone who enjoyed this but I thought it was a pile of crap. Lazy, unfocussed, frustrating. No resolution.

There was a good idea in this book, but the author clearly needed to spend much more time on working out how to write a good story around it.

I've read nothing else by this author and, on this offering, would not be tempted to do so.

message 20: by Philtrum (new)

Philtrum | 10 comments Taylor wrote: "Didn’t listen, but just finished reading it tonight. Enjoyed it a lot... my favorite of his so far."

As someone who's read it and disliked it, I'd be interesting to know what people find enjoyable about it.

message 21: by Alan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alan | 5558 comments Mod
Everything. The unpredictable story line. The wonderfully developed and mostly likeable characters. The constant and building dread throughout the book. There was nothing about this book I didn't like.

I would have to say (aside from most everything), it boils down to the level of suspense that just continued to build. I couldn't NOT continue to read to see what would happen next. (view spoiler)

message 23: by Maura (last edited Aug 31, 2018 07:39AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maura (mauraps) | 32 comments I like it when a horror story can take familiar, everyday fears and tensions, and spin them into something new and strange, I think this one did that really well.
(view spoiler)
Oh, and going on for like, five pages, about Steven Universe...a bold choice, which paid off. lol

message 24: by Alan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alan | 5558 comments Mod
Kimberly wrote: "I would have to say (aside from most everything), it boils down to the level of suspense that just continued to build. I couldn't NOT continue to read to see what would happen next. [spoilers removed]"

It absolutely was a major hard-to-put-down page-turner.

message 25: by JP (new)

JP | 6 comments Realized I'm reading this group listen, but this may be Tremblay's most affecting novel yet. I liked Head Full of Ghosts but thought it was a bit overly hyped. I loved DaDR, but this takes that grim factor way beyond. PT really nails the child POV and actions, and as a parent he really gets under my skin.

Ashley Johnson | 1 comments Just finished. The whole book I was like 😳 and at the end I was like 😐.

Lol!

Sarah-Grace (Azrael865) (sarah-grace) | 185 comments My first Paul Tremblay story. It was amazing.

Jamie Zaccaria | 161 comments I liked this book but I did feel like it maybe went on too long. I wish there was more explanation on some things and the ending was so-so for me.

Andrew “The Weirdling” Glos | 71 comments Just finished listening to the book. Oh! My! Gods! Soooo good.

My library just bought it so I’m on a wait list. I’m ok with that cause I have so many to read or listen to this month.

message 32: by Robert (last edited Sep 09, 2018 06:51AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments I'm really close to finished, and have come to the conclusion that I should have waited and read this one when I had time, for a couple of reasons:

1) My audiobook listening comes in small chunks, like my commute, or time on an exercise machine, and there are always distractions, which makes it hard to focus. It also doesn't let the suspense build like it really ought to with a book like this.
2) Am I the only one who finds the narrator REALLY annoying? Her male voices are almost laugh-out-loud bad. And when she tries to sound dramatic, it just doesn't work for me - she sounds melodramatic instead.

All that said, I have enjoyed the book in spite of that, but I feel sure I'd get a lot more out of it reading it when I have a solid block of time to read. And I've got about 30 minutes left, so a lot can still happen, I'm sure. :-)

Robert wrote: "I'm really close to finished, and have come to the conclusion that I should have waited and read this one when I had time, for a couple of reasons:

1) My audiobook listening comes in small chunks,..."

I READ the book, and I can see that listening (in my case) would have been a problem. At one point, I literally walked around with it in my hands for hours because I couldn't STOP reading. That makes a HUGE difference with the building of suspense.

message 34: by Tom (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom Mathews | 130 comments I'm listening to the audiobook and am very close to the finish. It does a good job of building tension but I'm having trouble with the suspension of disbelief part. When I put myself in Erik and Andrews' position, I could not in any way (view spoiler)
As you can see, I have issues with this whole supreme being thing. That said, I definitely want to find out how this ends but I can't imagine what possible ending would satisfy my rational mind.
See y'all on the other side.

I’m still on a wait list.

ok I finally got the book. i'll listen to it as soon as I'm done with the one I'm listening to.

message 37: by Hoff (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hoff The Librarian (hoffthelibrarian) | 20 comments Someone already mentioned this, but I had a huge problem suspending disbelief on this one. It was well-written and imaginative and I'm an enormous Tremblay fan, but it's hard to reconcile any of the characters following through on the cult's demand, no matter what was happening on tv. (view spoiler)

I also have to admit, really didn't like the audiobook of this. The strange voice really took me out of the suspense, so I borrowed the book and read the last half, which was far better. The narrator trying to inject suspense and emotion into the telling, got old fast.

Otherwise, I thought it was decent and it held my attention, it just didn't induce the creeps like a Head Full of Ghosts did.

There’s a cult?! 😍

message 39: by Hoff (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hoff The Librarian (hoffthelibrarian) | 20 comments Latasha wrote: "There’s a cult?! 😍"

Kind of don't know what else to call them, but yeah, for lack of a better word. Is it weird to admit I love books about cults?

Brian wrote: "Latasha wrote: "There’s a cult?! 😍"

Kind of don't know what else to call them, but yeah, for lack of a better word. Is it weird to admit I love books about cults?"

Doesn't everyone??? :)

message 41: by Hoff (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hoff The Librarian (hoffthelibrarian) | 20 comments Kimberly wrote: "Brian wrote: "Latasha wrote: "There’s a cult?! 😍"

Kind of don't know what else to call them, but yeah, for lack of a better word. Is it weird to admit I love books about cults?"

Doesn't everyone?..."

You must find the right crowd, but all the best people do, yes.

Brian wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "Brian wrote: "Latasha wrote: "There’s a cult?! 😍"

..."

:D

Honey! Yes I love learning about cults! Fiction & real ones both.

message 44: by Bee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bee (beelindee) | 0 comments I listened to this. It was interesting. I was not satisfied with the ending.

Yeahhhh that narrator’s voice. It’s different.

Ok. The end of the world use to scare me really, really bad. Not so much anymore. But when the first news report is on, that was scary. I’m sure glad Andrew is so observant cause I didn’t catch any of what he noticed. So now I’m not sure about the crazies. I’m at day 2, they are offered the choice again.
The narrator’s voice isn’t so bad that I’d stop listening but she wouldn’t be my favorite either.

This seems appropriate:
https://youtu.be/FYRldZsVO9I

(view spoiler)

Bird flu in TN? I’m out guys. It’s been great & I love y’all. Share my library, plz don’t fight over it. Bury me with Anne Rice so I don’t get bored.

I finished this a few dyas ago. I loved it! this is by far my favorite from this author so far and the 3rd best book of 2018-so far. I loved now knowing who to believe.