Horror Aficionados discussion

Group Reads > September Group Read #2- Boy's Life

Comments Showing 1-50 of 106 (106 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 11291 comments Mod
Our 2nd group read is Boy's Life. Please remember to use spoiler tags and have a great time!

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1761 comments somehow i totally missed the polls, lmao, but i am pleased that this one because i own it and have been wanting to read it!!!

message 3: by K.L. (new)

K.L. Phelps (kl_phelps) | 165 comments Rachel wrote: "somehow i totally missed the polls, lmao, but i am pleased that this one because i own it and have been wanting to read it!!!"

you're in for a treat, one of my all time favorites.

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1761 comments awesome! i've heard nothing but good things about it :)

message 5: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 6457 comments Mod
One of the best books I've read, PERIOD. :D

message 6: by K.L. (new)

K.L. Phelps (kl_phelps) | 165 comments Kimberly wrote: "One of the best books I've read, PERIOD. :D"

could not agree more

message 7: by Latasha (new)

I’m going to read or listen to this one too.

message 8: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (paper_addict) | 745 comments Yay!!!!

message 9: by Bryndís (new)

Bryndís | 429 comments Im debating if I want to buy this one (its the only option for me to read it). If I do, I'll read with you guys😀

message 10: by Rob (new)

Rob Sharp | 74 comments This book is so good!

message 11: by Kimberly (new)

Bryndís wrote: "Im debating if I want to buy this one (its the only option for me to read it). If I do, I'll read with you guys😀"

This is one that I honestly think is well worth the investment. I read it for the first time, myself, just a few years ago. I couldn't believe I had never read it before that!!

message 12: by Bob (new)

Bob (ilovepie) | 147 comments This is my favorite novel of all time, and for very good reason. It's fantastic!

message 13: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (paper_addict) | 745 comments Bryndís wrote: "Im debating if I want to buy this one (its the only option for me to read it). If I do, I'll read with you guys😀"

I’m sure you could find a good used copy online for less than a new book.

message 14: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Dodd (jdizzle619) | 38 comments SUCH A GOOD BOOK!!!!!! I will be reading this one with you guys as well, one of my all time favorites!

message 15: by Marie Helene (new)

Marie Helene | 716 comments So much enthusiasm here that I will probably join 😃

message 16: by Wesley (new)

Wesley McCraw (wesleymccraw) | 1 comments I'm finally reading a book for this group! I've been meaning to read this book for a while.

message 17: by Sara (new)

Sara Funduk (sfunduk) Just ordered myself a copy! I've heard such good things about this book and it looks like everyone here is really into it. I'm excited to start reading it. :)

message 18: by Laura (new)

Laura Chapman  | 43 comments Just bought a used copy on ebay - it says delivery is anywhere between 30th-10th Sept! 😨 But if it does miraculously arrive by the 1st, I'll join the group read. The book is so highly praised, I can't believe I've never read it. Very excited to see what all the fuss is about.

message 19: by Marie Helene (new)

Marie Helene | 716 comments My copy should arrive this Thursday.

message 20: by K.L. (new)

K.L. Phelps (kl_phelps) | 165 comments Lionel wrote: "Easiest question ever: What's the best novel you've ever read?
Me: BOY'S LIFE. It's the best novel I've ever read, and it's the best novel I'll ever read."

I always have trouble deciding what is my absolute favorite but more often than not I tend to say Boy's Life.

message 21: by Greg (new)

Greg | 382 comments Such an Awesome novel. One of my absolute favorites. Just reread it this last year.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 8 comments I'm in.

message 23: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Dodd (jdizzle619) | 38 comments I'm excited to start!!!!

message 24: by Char (new)

Char  | 16834 comments Mod
This is my favorite book of all time. I look forward to seeing many of you discover it for the first time. :)

message 25: by K.L. (new)

K.L. Phelps (kl_phelps) | 165 comments Char wrote: "This is my favorite book of all time. I look forward to seeing many of you discover it for the first time. :)"

Definitely the kind of book I wish I could experience for the first time all over again.

message 26: by Char (new)

K.L. wrote: "Char wrote: "This is my favorite book of all time. I look forward to seeing many of you discover it for the first time. :)"

Definitely the kind of book I wish I could experience for the first time..."

It's true! I find myself envious of people. :)

message 27: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 30 comments I read it a couple of years ago and it was awesome!!!

message 28: by Kimberly (new)

I can't believe how long it took me to discover it! Definitely one of the best EVER.

message 29: by Lance (new)

Lance Dale | 69 comments I just have 100 pages to go on The Drawing of the Three. Then I'm starting this one. i can't wait. I've heard so many good things.

message 30: by K.L. (new)

K.L. Phelps (kl_phelps) | 165 comments Lance wrote: "I just have 100 pages to go on The Drawing of the Three. Then I'm starting this one. i can't wait. I've heard so many good things."

Drawing of the Three, another of my favorites.

message 31: by Lance (new)

Lance Dale | 69 comments K.L. wrote: "Lance wrote: "I just have 100 pages to go on The Drawing of the Three. Then I'm starting this one. i can't wait. I've heard so many good things."

Drawing of the Three, another of my favorites."

I'm loving it!

message 32: by K.L. (new)

K.L. Phelps (kl_phelps) | 165 comments Lance wrote: "K.L. wrote: "Lance wrote: "I just have 100 pages to go on The Drawing of the Three. Then I'm starting this one. i can't wait. I've heard so many good things."

Drawing of the Three, another of my f..."

I can still remember the first time I read that one. I finished it in a single sitting.

message 33: by Bob (new)

Bob (ilovepie) | 147 comments When people ask me what is my favorite book, I tell them Boy's Life, and they give me a weird look that says "I have never even heard of this book".

It honestly gives me a smile, when this happens. Because I command the person I am talking with, to track down a copy immediately.

message 34: by Char (new)

If anyone is interested, here's a link to a video that moved me. It's of Robert McCammon speaking at a school board meeting, defending Boy's Life. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_lwR...

message 35: by ElleEm (new)

ElleEm | 155 comments Char wrote: "If anyone is interested, here's a link to a video that moved me. It's of Robert McCammon speaking at a school board meeting, defending Boy's Life. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_lwR..."

Awesome, Char. Thank you for the link.

message 36: by K.L. (new)

K.L. Phelps (kl_phelps) | 165 comments Char wrote: "If anyone is interested, here's a link to a video that moved me. It's of Robert McCammon speaking at a school board meeting, defending Boy's Life. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_lwR..."

Thanks, I'd never seen that before. Blows my mind that he would need to defend the book. Whoever decided it was 'controversial' obviously never read it or just didn't get it. Granted it was 10 years ago and I suppose I could see how some might have found the language 'shocking'-of course today you can almost hear that and certainly see worse on network television-but still, it was inline/appropriate for the scenes.

on a side note, pulled out my copy and read through the short prologue where he introduces himself (didn't intend to start the book until I finished with another book I was reading but couldn't help myself) and as always I got goosebumps. Just in that short section you can almost feel like you're being transported back in time and begin to feel the magic of the story you're about the experience. This book just never gets old.

message 37: by Lance (new)

Lance Dale | 69 comments I'm about 20% in and getting hooked. This is my first read by McCammon and I'm loving it.

message 38: by Ryan (last edited Sep 02, 2018 05:25PM) (new)

Ryan (jabhwakins) | 1 comments Word of warning if anyone is looking for the audiobook, probably want to stay away from the 2011 abridged version that is somehow edited all the way down to 3 hours. Thankfully it does look like a 2014 unabridged version does exist.

Glad I had already picked up a physical copy of the book before I came across the abridged audiobook. Don't want to imagine how much would be missed out on if I had just grabbed the audio without realizing. But with a 440 page copy in hand and the 582 page ebook listing right next to the 3 hour audio listing, the worst I had to deal with was a few minutes of confusion.

message 39: by Latasha (new)

Eek! I try to avoid abridged versions. I’m glad you mentioned it.

message 40: by K.L. (new)

K.L. Phelps (kl_phelps) | 165 comments Ryan wrote: "Word of warning if anyone is looking for the audiobook, probably want to stay away from the 2011 abridged version that is somehow edited all the way down to 3 hours. Thankfully it does look like a ..."

Yeah, I remember seeing that and thinking how in the BLEEP did they crop that story down to 3 hours

The_○ne_with_the_endless_TBR (evagriathefaithful) So so good!

Andrew “The Weirdling” Glos | 71 comments Just started. First impression, this book is just beautifully written. I love the use of language.

message 43: by K.L. (last edited Sep 04, 2018 06:53PM) (new)

K.L. Phelps (kl_phelps) | 165 comments Read the first 4 or 5 chapters this morning, and even though I've read it countless times it's still magical.

(view spoiler)

message 44: by Char (new)

Andrew “The Weirdling” wrote: "Just started. First impression, this book is just beautifully written. I love the use of language."

It really is. :)

message 45: by Kimberly (new)

Char wrote: "Andrew “The Weirdling” wrote: "Just started. First impression, this book is just beautifully written. I love the use of language."

It really is. :)"

Agreed! :)

message 46: by Lance (new)

Lance Dale | 69 comments This book makes me feel like I'm reliving my childhood summer days (except for the murder, haha). I love it.

message 47: by Katy (new)

Katy Mann | 975 comments A little past half-way through.

message 48: by K.L. (new)

K.L. Phelps (kl_phelps) | 165 comments ran out yesterday to find another copy. I have a friend who has never read it so I'm sending it to her.

message 49: by Lance (new)

Lance Dale | 69 comments I'm on the last chapter and don't want it to be over.

message 50: by Sara (new)

Sara Funduk (sfunduk) I’m a little over half way through too! I love how each chapter is so episodic. Wasps at Easter was so vivid and entertaining it could have been its own short story! Really loving the book so far.

« previous 1 3