AMERICAN HISTORICAL NOVELS discussion

A little bit about the book (no spoilers!) ...

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Martha (last edited Aug 24, 2018 01:50PM) (new)

Martha Conway | 255 comments Mod
This third book in the Henrietta and Inspector Howard series provides a delightful romp through the English countryside and back.

Anxious to be married, Henrietta and Clive push forward with their wedding plans despite their family differences, made worse now by Oldrich Exley’s attempts to control the Von Harmons. When the long-awaited wedding day arrives, there is more unfolding than just Clive and Henrietta’s vows of love. Stanley and Elsie’s relationship is sorely tested by the presence of the dashing Lieutenant Harrison Barnes-Smith and by Henrietta’s friend Rose—a situation that grows increasingly dark and confused as time goes on.

As Clive and Henrietta begin their honeymoon at Castle Linley, the Howards’ ancestral estate in England, they encounter a whole new host of characters, including the eccentric Lord and Lady Linley and Clive’s mysterious cousin, Wallace. When a man is murdered in the village on the night of a house party at the Castle, Wallace comes under suspicion—and Clive and Henrietta are reluctantly drawn into the case, despite Clive’s anxiety at involving his new bride and Henrietta’s distracting news from home.

Delicately attempting to work together for the first time, Clive and Henrietta set out to prove Wallace’s innocence, uncovering as they do so some rather shocking truths that will shake the Linley name and estate forever.

A Promise Given (Henrietta and Inspector Howard #3) by Michelle Cox
A Promise Given

message 2: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Artson (barbara_artson) | 21 comments I always look forward to Michelle Cox's mysteries, and that from a non-mystery reading author. Mine, Odessa, Odessa, is historical fiction. But Cox's books are not just mysteries -- they encompass psychological character development, place as important subject matter, and don't you love all of those hyphenated names. Way to go, Michelle.

message 3: by Martha (new)

Martha Conway | 255 comments Mod
Thanks for these comments, Barbara. High praise indeed!

I agree that place is so important, and we writers forget this sometimes (I now want to look more closely at my work-in-progress to see how well I've done on that front so far).

I do love all this English, including those hyphenated names. :)

Martha

message 4: by Angela (new)

Angela Sanford | 82 comments I definitely want to read the others in your series. This book sounds wonderful.

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Cox | 122 comments Barbara wrote: "I always look forward to Michelle Cox's mysteries, and that from a non-mystery reading author. Mine, Odessa, Odessa, is historical fiction. But Cox's books are not just mysteries -- they encompass ..."

Thanks, Barbara! I really appreciate that!

I do try to make the books more than just mysteries. They say to write what you would want to read, and I always enjoy books that cross genres.

And, as you know, I loved your book, "Odessa, Odessa." If anyone out there is looking for a great historical ficiton - pick that one up. You won't be disappointed - truly!

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Cox | 122 comments Martha wrote: "Thanks for these comments, Barbara. High praise indeed!

I agree that place is so important, and we writers forget this sometimes (I now want to look more closely at my work-in-progress to see how..."

Thanks, Martha! Yes, as I progress as a writer, I'm beginning to see that place is much more important (or can be, anyway) than I originally realized. I admire, for example, Rhys Bowen's ability to write the Molly Murphy series set in the 1800's New York and the Royal Spyness series set in the 1930s London. Place is so important in both series and really gives each a different feel. I'm amazed at Bowen's ability to change her voice/narrative style in each series!

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Cox | 122 comments Angela wrote: "I definitely want to read the others in your series. This book sounds wonderful."

Thanks, Angela!!! Not to be cheeky, but I would definitely start at the beginning. Some people have read them out of order, but I think it takes away from the story arcs that continue across the books. It's more fun to start at the beginning! Hope you enjoy!

message 8: by Dyana (new)

Dyana | 189 comments Sounds great!

message 9: by Angela (new)

Angela Sanford | 82 comments I will definitely start at the beginning💖 I have them listed
I will be buying them on pay day.

message 10: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Cox | 122 comments Dyana wrote: "Sounds great!"

Thanks, Dyana!

message 11: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Cox | 122 comments Angela wrote: "I will definitely start at the beginning💖 I have them listed
I will be buying them on pay day."

Wonderful, Angela! Can't wait to hear how you like them...And I'll be giving away a different book each day this week, so make sure you check back in to the discussion each day!

message 12: by Angela (new)

Angela Sanford | 82 comments Wonderful! I will be here. Thank you💖

message 13: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Cox | 122 comments Angela wrote: "Wonderful! I will be here. Thank you💖"

Awesome!